Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:00 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,071,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
It is not all that scary, but it sure did give me goosbumps when it happened-

When google street view came out, hubs and I did a virtual tour of eachothers homes where we grew up. (25+ years ago)
He was going up and down his street, telling me who lived where and maybe a story to go with. Coming down the other side of the street he came to a house and said 'that house is haunted. Anyone who moved in there was gone within 6 months to a year'. Ok that's cool and interesting...then we clicked the arrow and got a different angle on the house and there in the yard was a 'for sale' sign. The hair on my arms stood straight up.
When we lived in Nebraska a couple of years ago, we had just moved into the house we had rented- I googled it on street view a few months ago, and saw myself on the front porch, smoking a cigarette- scared me pretty good, lol! I don't remember the google van even going by!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 03:11 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,652,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
When we lived in Nebraska a couple of years ago, we had just moved into the house we had rented- I googled it on street view a few months ago, and saw myself on the front porch, smoking a cigarette- scared me pretty good, lol! I don't remember the google van even going by!
LOL- that is creepy in a totally different way....but still creepy.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:08 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,532,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
It is not all that scary, but it sure did give me goosbumps when it happened-

When google street view came out, hubs and I did a virtual tour of eachothers homes where we grew up. (25+ years ago)
He was going up and down his street, telling me who lived where and maybe a story to go with. Coming down the other side of the street he came to a house and said 'that house is haunted. Anyone who moved in there was gone within 6 months to a year'. Ok that's cool and interesting...then we clicked the arrow and got a different angle on the house and there in the yard was a 'for sale' sign. The hair on my arms stood straight up.
My family lived on a large street in Phoenix, AZ from 1994-2004. I know our house was haunted.

When we moved in we noticed the house across the street had smoke damage from the outside laundry room, across the ceiling into the house. Within weeks it was cleaned and the house was rented.

In ten years we experienced the same weird thing time after time: Every couple of months (sometimes the time would be even shorter) someone new would move into that house. The weird thing is that we never, ever (not even one time!) saw any of these neighbors move in or out.
Moving furniture and boxes is a noisy job. My son's computer was right by the front window and he could easily see what was going on out front. The walls were thin enough to hear the next door neighbor's music, but he never heard moving noises from across the street.
We wondered if maybe people were fleeing in the middle of the night. This might have explained them leaving but we never figured out how they could move in and we never heard a thing, especially when we both became such night owls. I was staying up until 7 am and not hearing a thing in an otherwise silent neighborhood.

The weirdest things was the dogs. Lots of the families had dogs.
One family had two; one of the dogs (a weiner) could not stand to stay in the yard. He somehow found a way out of the fenced backyard, leaving this really big, loud dog in the behind the gate. The weiner would bark until he reached the middle of the street and then he would just lie there staring at the house.
Of course, the other dog went crazy and barked the whole time this dog was in the street. For some reason, this big dog was the only dog that did not manage to escape that back yard at one time or another.
Every other dog would do what the weiner dog did... lie in the middle of the street and stare at the house. They hated going back in the yard and would bark until they were brought inside or escaped the yard again.

We always knew the people with dogs were gone because it was so quiet again.

It was a really strange place to live, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 PM

15,752 posts, read 20,340,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Was living in NH and in the winter in the distance when the leaves were gone we could just make out an old cemetery in town. We had only moved there shortly before from Fla so i was excited tske a look around. My husband was a cop and worked a lot so I decided to check it out alone one day. The graveyard dated to the civil war and had sectioned off areas (children's yard, ex slaves, soldiers etc) it was cold, grey and seemed perfect for a stroll. It had clearly marked paths of gravel that went through each section so I began to wander. In the children's part I began to get what I can only described as a "not alone" feeling. In the distance I could see a tour group if sorts but I seemed to be the only person in my area. After looking at a few graves I wandered back towards the gravel path. I began walking and realized my footsteps weren't the only set on the gravel. I "played it cool" walking slow trying not to freak. I purposely stopped suddenly as if looking at a marker and noticed each time 1 or 2 extra steps directly behind me. I turned around after the second time more than sure some one HAD to be there. No one.. I left immediately. I told my husband years later to which he told me on his first day training his field instructor told him he would never go in the graveyard at night. Told him he didn't care if there was a murder he wouldn't go. My husband told me several times he was called there for reports of children playing in the trees yet not coming out, people were worried they'd get lost. It when they went to find the, no one was there. They had so many reports of "followed footsteps" the graveyard had a constant open file report. I knew none of this till years later.
What graveyard is this??

Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,937,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What graveyard is this??
Greenlawn Cemetary in Keene NH

Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 PM

7,583 posts, read 6,051,038 times
Not Scary so much, as unexplained. And remember, I am a skeptic who does not really believe in ghosts

About ten years ago I was in Georgia for a civil war reenactment. being an experienced reenactor, I know the sounds of the reenactment

I decided to take a side trip a few days later and visit Pickett's Mill state park. Picketts Mill was the site of the last Confederate victory in Georgia. It amounted to Sherman being turned back and having to regroup.
I found the place, a clean and well preserved civil war site. I paid the admission fee, got a map , took my camera and went for a walk on the trails. I was amazed to see the earthworks so well preserved, and the battle lines were well marked.
The people that maintain that park, I thought to myself, are doing a great job. I encountered a few otehrs while I was there, but for most of the walk, saw no other person.

What amazed me most were the sound effects. They somehow had recordings that sounded just like us at the civil war, muskets firing, orders being given, the chaos of soldiers yelling. They had this broadcast intermittently through speakers that were well hidden, I was able to hear this through a distance and could hear the sounds of the muskets firing in unison as though there was a civil war event going on a mile or so away. (There was not BTW) There would be periods of silence, then a volley or two of muskets followed by muffled screams, then silence.
When I got back to the visitor center I remarked to the park ranger how I loved the realistic sounds of the battle. He looked at me like I was crazy.
He said "I don't know what you think you heard, but we don't have anything like that here"
I thought he was joking around, playing games with me, but he maintained that there was no such thing as sound effects.

No explanation for what I heard. Sounded just like the noise from a civil war reenactment.

And no, I did not capture any ghosts on any of the photos I took.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:52 PM

7 posts, read 25,507 times
It's so great to find this forum and read these stories and to be able to share mine.

The first time I saw I ghost I was 17 years old. I was invited over to my boyfriends house to watch a movie. We were alone in the house as his parents were out and so was his sister. His bed was facing the door. We were laying in bed watching a comedy when I saw someone out of the corner of my eye. The room was dark except from the light of the television so when I turned my head towards the door I saw a woman standing there. She had dark hair and was wearing a skirt. It happened to quickly that by the time I had made out what I had just saw she was gone. I sat up in bed and turned on the light switch and asked my boyfriend if he had saw anyone in the room with us. He was just as shocked as I was because the door to the room was closed and no one else was home. Surely, we would of seen and heard the door open if someone walked in. I was so afraid to visit him after that and would not step foot in his house. His mother told me she had seen this woman a few times but it was very very rare. One evening I had left a party and made arrangments to meet my boyfriend at his house and he and his friend would pick me up and take me home. My friend dropped me off early and my boyfriend was not home yet. The lights in the house were off so I figured his parents were asleep. I sat on the front porch and waited for him. All of a sudden I heard the front door open behind me. I got up and walked inside. It was pitch black in the house and no one was standing there. His parents were super friendly people and would of called out to me to come inside. I was so spooked that the door opened by itself that I ran in the street and waited for him to arrive. When he finally showed up I told him what had happened. He went inside and both his parents were asleep and were angry that he had woken them. I could not understand why this was happening to me. I felt physically sick. Another time, I had let his sister borrow my shirt and when I folded it and placed it on top of my purse and left the room. I came back a few minutes later and the shirt was gone. We searched his room and could not find it. The next day he called me and said he found my shirt wadded up in a ball near his dresser. We were gone from his room for maybe ten minutes and once again no one was home. Creeped out beyond belief I never went over to his house again.

A few months later his mom took a photo of the house and his step dad coming out the front door and when she loaded the photos on her computer a woman was standing in front of him. Somewhat see through. She had dark hair and was wearing a skirt. I wish I had a copy of this photo but I still see it in my head no matter how many times I try to forget it. They certainly believed me and for some odd reason this ghost only appeared to me and his mom.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:50 PM

1,289 posts, read 721,130 times
Great stories! Man!

Any more any body??

Old 10-01-2013, 09:45 PM

263 posts, read 478,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HolyNinja~ View Post
Great stories! Man!

Any more any body??
Hello everyone from SAN ANTONIO,Tex.Its that time of year when all of our ghost stories,and Urban Legends are told, for Its the season of the Witch.Down here we have several Urban Legends.
The one that really stands out ,is from when one I was 12yrs.old while listening to a late night talk show.Someone had reported seeing "The DONKEY LADY",about 3 miles from where I lived.The story is about a woman who worked as house keeper in a resort named ALGO DIFFERENTE(SOMETHING DIFFERENT).This out in the boone-docks resort that was the visited by VIP's,politicians,moviestars that came to visit our Historic city..Somewhere in the storage area by the kitchen,a fire erupted.It spread very fast,couldn't be contained,many guest were injured or burned.One was the house keeper.She had serious life threating burns to her arms,and face.She was taken to a Hospital 14 miles away to downtown San Antonio.Hospitals back in the 30'sand 40's weren't up to date on serious burn's such as hers.She remained there for 6 months or so.The day finally came when it was time to remove the last of the bandage wraps and would be released.To her horrifying surprise,she was looking at something so frightning that she went into a rage,her fingers had burned down to her knuckles,her face was shaped like a snout,and her ears drooped down.She began to attack all Drs.and nurses who were present in the room.She was sudated and put on a sucide watch,later was transferred to mental institute just south of town.Weeks later,she escaped,made her way back to the ruins of where she worked before.She couldn't go back to her home town just norht of San Antonio in the hill country.As the story spread of her escape,the search was on for the Donkey Lady as she was labled.People had reported seeing her on the north side along backroads and at the old burned down resort.High School kids would go looking for her and would come back frigtened with car doors dented and windshields busted in.I have actually spoken to a Highway Patroman,and a person who's name I cannot mention, who knew this women of Legend,because she lived in the same community just north of San Antonio.It is rumored that she has been reported seen in an area called APPLEWHITE Rd. along the SAN ANTOINIO RIVER deep south of town.I hope Stephen King reads this and maybe he'll make a movie of it.
HAPPY HAUNTING

Last edited by albert soliz; 10-01-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 PM

7,583 posts, read 6,051,038 times
I mentioned my grandparent's house in East Texas. We were visiting there in the late 70s and the local hotel as full so we had to stay with them. It as not comfortable, they had an old one story wooden house with two bedrooms, I was put on the couch in the living room, my kid brother 5 years younger than me on the floor. All through the evening we kept hearing the strangest sounds in the old house. At one point, I thought I heard the door open, someone alking in the kitchen, no one there. Every sound e made caused my dad to come out of the bedroom yelling at us to be quiet.
We never saw anything, but at one point, I quit trying. My brother was laying in the floor, trembling, almost crying, saying "There's someone walking around in the kitchen!"
The drive home the next day was miserable, my dad was in one of his usual bad moods, kept accusing us of leaving the house and going outside and making noise in the yard all night.
We never left the house, no idea what he heard or thought he heard.

About 5 years later , they bought the house next door and moved into it. They moved my great-grandmother into the haunted house. She swore, as did my grandfather, that the house was not haunted and that they never heard anything like we described.
She died one night a few years later in that very house. I did not even want to step foot in it in the daytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal