U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:17 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,732,661 times

Advertisements

I'd like to share with anyone who is interested or curious about Tarot.

I have loved cards as far back as I can remember. My grandparents taught me the more complex games when I was very young. As it turned out, I was pretty good at those games, even beating my grandfather now and then (and grandmother scolded him for 'allowing' me to win, but he assured her he was playing for real).
I also have always had an attraction to the mystical, 'magical', and mythological areas in life.
Reading lots about Ancient Egypt, Atlantis, Arthurian Legend, Astrology and more.

So when I happened across a deck used for divination called Tarot, I dove right in! It is a wonderful fit.
Now it has been 20 some years that I have studied and worked with the cards.
I have learned a lot about them as cards, as a spiritual tool, and how much they are so misunderstood.

So I present here some tid-bits about tarot. They are just tid-bits to open up some Q & A about these misunderstood cards.

The History of Tarot~
Master researcher Stewart Kaplan states that tarot started as a card game in the early 1400's, 'Tarocchi'. However, it would be another 200+ years before tarot would be used as a means of 'parlor fortune-telling'.
These fortunes where very much tongue and cheek. 'In early spring, you will meet an older man who will take you as his bride'.
Another 100+ years later, an archeologist associated the pictorial of the cards to the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Several years later the deck was given symbolic meanings by Eliphas Levi, a master in Kabbalah, who associated the cards to the mystical aspects found in the Hebrew alphabet.

This was the beginning of where today's tarot gets its divinatory associations.
The first tarot deck published as a divination deck was in 1910. This is the popular Rider Waite Smith deck. Rider being the publisher, Waite being Arthur Waite, a member of the Order of the Golden Dawn and Smith being Pamela Smith the artist commissioned to create the decks imagery.
Shortly there after, Aleister Crowley had the Thoth deck published. He was also a member of the Order of the Golden Dawn and his artist was also a woman, Lady Frieda Harris.
Where the Waite deck is more European and medieval in look and feel, the Thoth deck has more of an Egyptian/ Kabalistic feel to it.

The Tarot Deck~ ‘What defines a Tarot deck?’
The structure of the deck itself has a specific way of being. The Tarot is a deck of 78 cards which are divided into two Arcanas; the Major Arcana and the Minor Arcana.
The Major Arcana is a small deck of 22 cards numbered 0-21. They are considered the Trump cards of the deck. The Minor Arcana is very much like a regular deck of playing cards, having four suits and a set of four court (face) cards. The Minor Arcana are numbered from Ace to 10 and have Page, Knight, Queen & King for the court cards. Some decks will give different names to the court cards and the Trump cards.*
Any deck that falls short of this format is not really a tarot deck, with the exception of a Trumps only deck.
The Tarot is just one of many kinds of divination decks in print today.*

Myths of Tarot~*
Two common areas of misconception are how one gets a tarot deck and who can touch it.
It is often said that you should be given a deck for it to work. I can personally tell you that the process of choosing your deck can be a wonderful experience. However, gifted decks are often found to be special in some way.
But, in regards to it working 'only if'....that is not true.
There are three different lines of thoughts on people handling tarot decks.
1- ‘Never let anyone touch your deck, their energy will enter the deck and not work for you..’
2- ‘The person getting the reading MUST shuffle and cut the deck to put their energy into the reading.’*
3- Energy is energy and it does not matter who touches them.

I agree that there is energy, that is a fact, and energy does transfer from one object to another, that is life. Energy is constantly in motion.
For some readers having the clients shuffle the cards is how they connect to the energy of that person.*
However, it my feeling that each individual has their own way of handling energy, thus these rules does not completely apply to all. For some it is better for them to be the only one handling the cards while others need that persons energy to connect.

Lastly- ‘OH NO- I got the DEATH card! Am I going to die?’
The Death card is often feared because so many think that this card means that they, or someone close to them, will die. This is rarely the case. If the Death card shows up in a reading, it is usually a card that reflects a message of change. Out with the old and in with the new.

How Tarot Works~
Each individual card has a very specific root meaning to it and while it may be similar to other cards- it is still different.
For example, all Ace cards speak of new beginnings. If the card is a Cups card then it is about some emotional beginning and if it is a Swords card then it is some new way of thinking. The depth of the cards meaning just builds from there.
The finer details are found in the numerous symbols that are seen in each card, as well as how several cards interact with each other.*

'How does a person read for another if they are not sitting with them?'
This is again about energy, the collective unconscious, the Anima Mundi which means World Soul. There are many who believe that we are all connected in spirit. It is this place of connectedness that a psychic will reach into and gather the information that is needed. Some use guides to help them through the Ether, others will use runes, tea leaves, what ever.

.....and with that, more questions anyone?
Rate this post positively

Old 12-21-2010, 01:24 PM

8,536 posts, read 6,677,699 times
How are tarot cards viewed by religion?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:50 PM

It would depend upon the religion. There are so many religions out there that there is no simple all encompassing answer.

There was a time in history when the Church declared all cards, dice, and tile games 'a sin' because of gambling. That declairation added to certain passages in the bible that condem 'fortune telling' created the idea that cards used for reading was also a sin.

Most of what everyone comes to believe and follow when it comes to some religious doctrine comes by way of some 'official' speaker/leaders opinion of what the words in the Bible mean.
And there are several things found in the bible that are contradictory.

I know of quite a few Christian astrologers and tarot readers. These religious people see the cards as tools that assist in connecting to the Divine.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 19,813,812 times
Don't know anything about the TAROT cards but have had two experiences with Palm reading that came TRUE. Most people LAUGH when I tell them of my experience.

At the age of 12 when at a friends farm house there was a man visiting his dad and they were drinking wine. This man was a stranger to me and asked to see my open palm and told me of many things he saw in my future. He spoke in Hungarian (my parents language) and everything he said came true over a 50 yr time span right down to two marriages and many children.

Decades later also had a Gypsy Palm reader tell of things that would happen to me exactly 18 months later and she was correct to the last detail. I laughed at the time but reality showed her to be right on.

Will not go into the exact specifics of each case...what can I say...it happened to me.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:20 PM

14,760 posts, read 15,189,517 times
I got really into this years ago. Unfortunately my cards are all scattered about and no longer a part of their original full deck...

I do keep The Star card pinned to my wall where I can see it everyday for some odd reason, I think because I read that card is associated with the sun sign Aquarius, which I happen to be...

Would love a reading sometime, but I don't know anyone anymore who does this...

I would like a new deck, do you have any recommendations as to where to buy one, or which ones are best? I can't even remember how I acquired my last deck...But it was a Rider Waite deck.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:12 PM

Decks can be found at many book stores as well as online like Amazon or EBay.
Some people (as mentioned in my OP) have feelings that go against using a previously owned deck.
But if you have no energy issues, then you can find a good deal on a used deck.

Most decks are created based on the same symbolism as the Rider deck.
What deck is 'best' is really found in the hands of the user.
I have over 30 decks and work with most of them, but some just do not 'speak' to me.
So finding the deck 'for you' may take trying out several decks.
I suggest you find a theme you are familiar with and artwork that appeals to you.
If you have studied fairies, Celtic culture, animals, love cats, or read 'Once in a Future King'....
Then there are decks that fit those themes.

Now there are two 'kinds' of decks; illustraited pips and non-illustrated pips. Pips are the suit cards Ace to 10. You really want illustraited pips. These have full scenes on the cards and not just a number of swords, cups, etc.
The non-illustraited decks are more like playing cards.

The Major Arcana card, XVII The Star is indeed associated with the astrological sign of Aquarius.
Each of the Majors have either a sign or planet that 'rules' the card.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Oh I would definitely not want want a pre-owned deck!

Thanks for the good word!

Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 AM

8,536 posts, read 6,677,699 times
Very interesting info ~~ thanks Owlkamyst

Old 12-23-2010, 01:55 PM

2,491 posts, read 5,165,209 times
I would also like to add that it takes practice to get good readings. So if you decide to give it a try, don't be discouraged in the beginning. I keep a diary of all my divinations, my mood, the question I ask, results, etc all written down. Over time, you get clearer results. I still look back at my first dozen attempts and I'm surprised I didn't give up. Sadly and regretfully I haven't touched my tarot cards in over a year due to all the personal drama & stress I encountered this year.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Sadly and regretfully I haven't touched my tarot cards in over a year due to all the personal drama & stress I encountered this year.
Sounds like a good time to give yourself a reading!

This year has been pretty crazy, luckily it has been better for me than last year though...that was a doozy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.