U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 02:37 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,662,656 times

Advertisements

If you believe that everything is energy and that there are many "things" we cannot see with the human eye (like electricity), then orbs are just something else we cannot see with the human eye that a camera catches and records (not sure why we can't see it in real time but can see it on a picture).

Just because we can't see something doesn't mean it isn't "there."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 12:58 AM

15,397 posts, read 20,471,133 times
Houdini's Principle: Just because something remains unexplained in your mind; does not mean that it is paranormal, supernatural, extraterrestrial or conspiratorial.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:09 AM

32,008 posts, read 33,625,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Houdini's Principle: Just because something remains unexplained in your mind; does not mean that it is paranormal, supernatural, extraterrestrial or conspiratorial.
Ahhhh, Pittson...It has been explained, I even provided photos, but this mind is made up, and cannot be changed.

Like the person on the site below, I have also been a photographer for many years...

There is nothing paranormal about so-called "orbs". Orbs are not ghosts. They are perfectly normal photographic artifacts, as the examples below will show. Orbs Are Optical Effects, Not Ghosts

Old 01-26-2011, 02:19 AM

3,061 posts, read 6,164,098 times
Sometimes there's a green one and I KNOW that it's the Loc-Nar and it's following me!

Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 AM

4,546 posts, read 4,035,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native
That is why serious and professional photographers have lens hoods on their lenses, to keep extraneous light from creating "flares" in the image. All perfectly normal with optics
Has anyone considered that the 'dust' explanation just does not hold water.

There is plenty of 'dust' in space and on other planets, but somehow we never get to see 'orbs' from the Mars Rovers or from the spacecraft. Now... I wonder why?

I am sure some of the photographers who know all about orbs will come up with some wonderful explanation which says that Martian dust has an exceptionally matt surface and just does not reflect the light like Earth dust does.

With all those 'dust devils' blowing about on Mars, you would have thought there would be tons of dust in the atmosphere. In fact, we have to have a wind 'cleaning event' to remove the dust from the Rovers solar panels, so there must be quite a lot up there.

Strange how none of it reflects in the sunlight there to produce 'orbs', isn't it?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 AM

60 posts, read 87,370 times
I have taken a couple of pictures of them with my digital camera. I was told by my sister that it is better to use a flash even though I was told otherwise by others (because of dust/light reflections). I have 5 photos of them. Not all of them look like 'orbs' but more like a comet with a 'tail'. I have a double orb picture with two red eyes on it (creepy).

It seems whatever they are my cat can see them though they're invisible to me. The cat would stare at a certain spot and that's where I would take the photo. Maybe they were just light reflections (I did use a flash mode) but they still look strange.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 AM

32,008 posts, read 33,625,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Has anyone considered that the 'dust' explanation just does not hold water.

There is plenty of 'dust' in space and on other planets, but somehow we never get to see 'orbs' from the Mars Rovers or from the spacecraft. Now... I wonder why?

I am sure some of the photographers who know all about orbs will come up with some wonderful explanation which says that Martian dust has an exceptionally matt surface and just does not reflect the light like Earth dust does.

With all those 'dust devils' blowing about on Mars, you would have thought there would be tons of dust in the atmosphere. In fact, we have to have a wind 'cleaning event' to remove the dust from the Rovers solar panels, so there must be quite a lot up there.

Strange how none of it reflects in the sunlight there to produce 'orbs', isn't it?
No, not strange at all...No flash photography used in space...I'm amazed that some of you don't think ordinary "red eye" means the person is possessed....Wait maybe you do?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 AM

3,334 posts, read 5,492,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No, not strange at all...No flash photography used in space...I'm amazed that some of you don't think ordinary "red eye" means the person is possessed....Wait maybe you do?
I think it all depends on which horror movies or books they are into. A lot of times the possessed have pure black eyes. For some reason that looks more evil to me than the red.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 AM

9,618 posts, read 11,908,177 times
Default Oh... what the halo!

1: St. Elmo's fire, the spiritual demon of old time windjammer sailing vessels, which also led the terrified crews to mutiny or to toss someone overboard. That didn't help, of course; emotional and illiterate over-reactions rarely do.

2: Some off-wavelength event. We hominids don't see everything, after all. Just ask our cats, dogs, local bats and the entire honeybee population.

3: A lens artifact; glare or haloing. Or smudging.

4. Simple atmospherics. We saw lots of strange inexplicable optical irregularities in the ultra-cold Canadian Arctic, where ice crystals and horizon miraging were common, with the addition of very bright sunlight at very low angles.

Yup! Must be God, huh?

But then again, if you truly WANT to believe this is proof of a supernatural entity, it will be hard to knock some sense into your veldt-geist.

(But if this is your mindset, please look up the definition of two important words: proof [in the scientific sense] and unambiguous. Don't flinch, now: read and learn, and then think.

Then try putting the two together, as in: "unambiguous proof" and apply that concept, unflinchingly, to your heartfelt theistic beliefs. Then report back here.)

Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM

7,288 posts, read 11,662,656 times
Who said anything about "God?" Obviously, you know nothing about even the basics of quantum physics . . . all is not as it appears. Do you think quantum physics is bunk?

Life is so perfectly complex - synchronistic . . .the "design" of the world and everything in it is AMAZING.

We humans can only comprehend but a fraction of what is happening in our world . . . there is no way that anyone can say that they KNOW orbs can't be spiritual presences of some kind because you cannot prove a negative (that orbs are not spiritual presences). Can't prove that they aren't . . . lots of people think they are . . .

So the people who think they are specks of dust or whatever . . .good for you, now why don't you go think about something else and let the rest of us who are interested in the spiritual aspects of this subject be able to discuss it without having to defend our beliefs or experiences?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal