Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times

Advertisements

You bet, re: Piscean marijuana (Cali's Sun opposes Neptune), as well as the computing and Silicon Valley aspect! Technology in general may be more of a Uranian/Aquarius thing, but computers (and communication) are definitely all about Mercury-ruled Virgo, especially with all those detail-oriented, nuts-and-bolts software & programming parts. As we're reminded during any Mercury retrograde!

(LMAO!!)... the "sexual technicians of the zodiac" indeed! Yes, despite all that association with "virginity", Virgos can definitely be some of the "kinkiest" folks out there, perhaps enabled by all that "analytical", "cerebral" and "detached" attitude towards even the most, um, "intense" of subjects (but no doubt they give them the same "attention to detail" too)!

I can also see a lot of that Virgoan detachment in what seems to be plenty of narcissism present in California, including the big "N" (clinical) sorts. Naturally there's all the hedonistic and "find yourself" lifestyles (as Guv. Arnie invites everyone to do on the tv ads). But there also seems to be lots of evidence here of Narcissism/NPD (the behavioral disorder). Clinical Narcissism is, by definition, all about being so "detached" from ourselves (from our bodies, minds, and feelings), that in some sense we then become merely hollow "shells" (albeit very attractive, successful, charming, etc., ones). And yet Narcissists always remain totally dependent on "others" to "reflect back" that grandiose, inflated (and false) sense of who they are, which they attempt to control/manage down to the "n" th degree. Of course Neptune/Pisces is also the very archetype of "loss of self" (sometimes to our detriment), and what's the most notorious example of Narcissism... but Hollywood and the cult of celebrity!

BTW, dunno about other folks, but my own "bias" in astrology is to think less in terms of the 12 astrological signs, than to see it as really 6 different "polarities", just as various magnets and batteries each have separate "poles". So there's always a fair bit of "my-way-or-the-highway" Leo present in every "democratic" Aquarius, just as there is Aries self-centeredness in "harmonious" Librans (sometimes described as the "iron fist in the velvet glove"). And as so aptly described, that Piscean "born-again" zeal is often present in many Virgo folks.

Speaking of which, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, famous for breakfast cereals, health cures, eugenics, "abstinence" and "therapeutic" enemas... was a Pisces Sun, and precisely conjunct a Pisces Neptune!

Last edited by mateo45; 02-19-2011 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: links..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 01:25 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
As a California native, and a Virgo type, I initially can go with Virgo for the state. But to be fair, I gave the other signs some consideration.
But Virgo fits the best.
California has everything!!! Beaches, mountains, forests, desert....even a volcano even if it is dormant.
The states agriculture says it all really. Cali is or has been #1 in the production of rice, turkeys, lemons, almonds....Virgo may be a virgin, but she is very fertile. California could be self-sufficient. TPB where thinking when they made sure (details) the state was a republic (TX is the only other republic state).
Also #1...(I am guessing from my experience of living in the locational heart of it) in Marijuana production. The law that allows medical use is called 'the compassionate access act'. I find that Virgos are more compassionate than most other signs. Have not experienced the narsassism you speak of Mateo, interesting. I see more of that from the fire signs. Virgo can be self absorbed, sure...but a narcissist? I wonder about Hollywood, if that is what gives 'us' that energy/image.
Those of us in Cali know that there are two different worlds here.
'we' often talk about dividing the state. Those in the south do not understand us in the north, and both north and south have different needs. Us northerners like the simple life.
To sit in the sun, away from the smog while sipping local wine and eating wild harvested gourmet mushrooms.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Good point re: the "two Californias", and the division is a pretty dramatic one. It could be argued that the "blue" coast is largely the "Virgo" part (organized, detail-driven, "mercurial", urban, educated, computerized, etc.), while NorCal and the largely "red" interior parts are mostly "Piscean" (being the poorest counties, the most dependent on social welfare programs, the highest per capita incarceration rates, more "isolated", often more "fundamentalist" than their urban liberal counterparts, and naturally where most of the pot, and meth comes from).

Although am not suggesting that Virgos, per se, have any greater inclination towards narcissism. Only that narcissism seems to be a large part of the state's often schizo and Virgo/Pisces "personality" and "culture" (just like the north/south divide you mentioned). In addition to the examples I've listed previous, there are all the custom suburban enclaves that are usually more than simply "tract housing" here, they're often a narcissist's dream, each a relatively controlled monoculture on some "theme", where I can live among folks who are "just like me". Then there's the political gridlock defined largely by "me first" special interests, not least of which are the citizens who expect something for nothing (remember that Howard Jarvis' Prop 13 started here). And yes there is a fair amount of tolerance in the state, although another way to look at that, is simply being a byproduct of a culture where the prevailing attitude is, "Just leave me be" or "I'm all right, Jack — and the hell with everyone else!" Which BTW, pretty much defines the infamous State of Jefferson!

Newsweek even did a nice article on this very theme:
Death of the Dream - Ranting about California Narcissism

Last edited by mateo45; 02-19-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 08:55 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
OwlkayMyst made an interesting comment on Virgo's self-sufficiency. Like their jack-of-all-trades, mercurial, counterpart Gemini, if their car breaks down, or something breaks down in their house, they'll fix it themselves. For classic Virgo's, and being so extremely picky/critical when it comes to finding a partner, they can satisfy their sexual urges themselves, more pleasurably than being with someone or hiring a Virgoan prostitute who can more easily follow their "complicated, clinical instructions". They don't have a great need for cuddling, foreplay, passionate or messy emotional encounters. "Let's get right down to business, I've got work to do!" And workaholism factors well into Capricorn and Virgo, but with completely different goals. Unlike Cap, Virgo has no desire to climb to the top of some stupid mountain and trudge around in all that snow! They merely want to keep busy!

I've known Virgo's who go ballistic at the sight of a prostitute on the streets, which brings us to that famous saying: "What we hate the most in others, we see so much of in ourselves."

I've got a healthy (or unhealthy ) dose of Virgo in my chart, and I hired my first prostitute in my 20's, when I could have easily gotten it for free.

Some polarities are more confusing to me. I have harder time separating duplicitious, scattered Gemini from duplicitious, scattered Sagittarius and sensuous Tauraus from passionate Scorpio.

Virgo/Pisces, Aries/Libra are easier. Same with Aquarius/Leo. It's so easy to spot the Leo in any classic Aquarian. With Leo loving the stage, being the center of attention, the love of showing off, Aquarius does it all in offbeat manner: some shocking tattoo, some shocking clothes or hair-do, baseball hat worn backwards, an older restored car (Leo with their gold Cadillac's) plastered with bumper stickers, or making some shocking statement. I can easily see Aquarius haunting the vintage clothes stores, looking for that particular "costume" for the next party, where everyone will comment: "Where did you buy that! So unique!" And then, Aquarius sets off a trend, others follow, then they need to reinvent their act again to get people to turn their heads.

Being an Aries, they say the best thought that pops into their heads is the best one and they should run with it. If Aries deliberates, then they take that slippery slide down to Libra land: indecisiveness. That's happned far too often with me, and sure enough, after all that maddening indecision, I return to my first idea.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 PM

237 posts, read 379,773 times
This is funny and kismit,as for awhile now i've been thinking about certain polarities! I agree that some polarities just don't seem like it at all. Sag and gemini at least superfically, have so much in common, and taurus/scop have a lot of the same emotional patterning.I have mutiple planets in sag, and am dating a man with multiple planets in gemini, and I can personally feel the polarity,but to the outside eye, I can see how subtle it might come across.

All the mutable signs are duality signs, so its no surprise that virgo can flip a switch like gemini. I know so many leos who have a virgo venus who can seem very uptight and picky sexually( ex. the mother/***** complex), and then also have a very kinky closeted sex life.
I dated a man with a moon,neptune, ascendant,and venus in scorpio, he was very intense and felt more comfortable expressing himself non- verbally- he was also a cap sun. I find caps very intelligent,but he was very self controlled and would as I call it, 'withold emotion as power". What I loved about him however,was he would never waste words. When he did talk(lol) it would always be interesting and perfectly articulated. Certain Scorpio aspects CAN have a good deal of emotional fear to work thru,but when they trust and truly give themselves over to love its beautiful.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 PM

237 posts, read 379,773 times
Tijlover, the opposition in my chart is aries/libra, and I too have had the same experience with over thinking, wanting to see all sides (libra) only to get mired in indecision,when its the first idea/thought that I end up choosing!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:17 AM

BTW, "tijlover's" humorous observation re: Virgo's sexual "self-sufficiency", kinda adds new meaning to the phrase "getting busy"!

My own sense of the Gemini/Sagitarrius polarity is that it's mostly about "learning" and the process of acquiring "information" about the world and people around us. And the reason that Geminis can be such charming social butterflies, is simply because that's what it takes to understand their "neighborhood" (3rd house), while Sag determinedly seeks to understand the world "at large" (9th house). So personally having a Cancer sun (and stellium) in the 3rd house (and Cap moon in the 9th), I see it as the difference between learning about something, say, thru a "traditional" college course, instead of via more "mercurial" methods, such as workshops, online info., friends, and magazines (which I love for their intellectual "immediacy" and "portability").

But I also find both their emotional reactions are very different, with Geminis often simply ignoring the kind of stress and personalities that might put others off (because it's just the "price" of acquiring info. and knowing lots of people, even the unpleasant ones). Although this usually ends up with their "compartmentalizing" of all that negative "stuff" (the duality of the "twins"), until that "pile swept under the carpet" finally gets too big to "ignore" anymore, and then they have some "crisis"!

While Sagittarius, forever cherishing their freedom to roam the world in search of "higher knowledge", can be the most brutally frank (and incisively accurate) in their assessments of people, information and situations. And yet when it comes to being on the "receiving end" of any such criticisms themselves, they often seem to have surprisingly "thin skins" !

Of course, with all that Cancer (and Cap moon), I don't always get on so "swimmingly" with Aries "impulsiveness" myself. And yet something I've still really come to appreciate about Aries folks is that even when confronted with all that "martial" energy, it rarely feels "mean-spirited", and in fact usually has a sort of almost naive and innocent quality that's difficult to stay pi$$ed off at. So for example, only a short while after some Cancer/Aries "set-to", often all is soon forgotten and that delightful childlike enthusiasm is back once again, ready for some new challenge to explore (or "conquer" as the case may be)!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingjupiter View Post
This is funny and kismit,as for awhile now i've been thinking about certain polarities! I agree that some polarities just don't seem like it at all. Sag and gemini at least superfically, have so much in common, and taurus/scop have a lot of the same emotional patterning.I have mutiple planets in sag, and am dating a man with multiple planets in gemini, and I can personally feel the polarity,but to the outside eye, I can see how subtle it might come across.

All the mutable signs are duality signs, so its no surprise that virgo can flip a switch like gemini. I know so many leos who have a virgo venus who can seem very uptight and picky sexually( ex. the mother/***** complex), and then also have a very kinky closeted sex life.
I dated a man with a moon,neptune, ascendant,and venus in scorpio, he was very intense and felt more comfortable expressing himself non- verbally- he was also a cap sun. I find caps very intelligent,but he was very self controlled and would as I call it, 'withold emotion as power". What I loved about him however,was he would never waste words. When he did talk(lol) it would always be interesting and perfectly articulated. Certain Scorpio aspects CAN have a good deal of emotional fear to work thru,but when they trust and truly give themselves over to love its beautiful.
I do know, doubtlessly, Saj rules traditional religions. This definitely separates Saj from agnostic Gemini. I have 4 relatives, all with their Moon's in Saj, and each and every one of them is a religious fanatic. Coincidental? And, each and everyone of them is on a mission to convert me, and everytime I encounter them, I kick myself for not bring along some duct tape! Once they get going, you just can't shut 'em up!

Look what happened in the 70's when we had Neptune in its 15 year transit of Sagittarius! All those born-again Christian movements took off, religious cults, Rajneesh with his commune in Oregon, the Moonies. Saj Moon people, I see it in my brother, can make some great cult leaders! I could see any of my Saj moon relatives as cult leaders or running a storefront Christian evangelical church! If I recall Jim Jones had that Moon, where all those people laid down and committed mass suicide.

But then, Saj is the ultimate gambler, and isn't all religion a gamble?

Gemini rules short trips, Saj rules foreign travel, but the Saj types I've encounter, ironically, don't seem to have much interest in foreign travel. I've heard this too often with them: Why go thru all that effort, when I can view it in a movie or the Travel channel!

I'm a foreign traveler from the gitgo, is it my Venus in the 9th house of Saj which triggers that, or did my love of foreign travel come from my hippie days and backpacking around Europe? Who knows!

Saj is considered the most mature of the fire signs. The first fire sign, Aries, the most primitive. Just like the water signs. Cancer is the first water sign, the most primitive, Pisces the most mature (no argument there!) Same can be said of the other two "firsts": Tauraus maturing to Capricorn, Gemini maturing to Aquarius.

Scorpio comments!

I have no argument that a Scorpio Ascendant is the sexiet Asc. you could ever own. As Debbie Klempton Smith remarks: Brush up against one and you can get a buzz! And that's what I do when I see one: Oops! I apologize! Clumsy me! I bumped right into you!

Moon in Scorpio, that's my favorite moon person to hang out with. When I'm with with this Moon sign, I feel like I'm all comfy in my home! My moon in the 8th house? Aries and Scorpio shared intensity? The darkest moon (My Cap moon) meets another dark moon! Heaven! Other dark moons I prefer to hang with: Moon in Cancer (best listener of the zodiac) or Pisces. Positive moon people: Kick-kick! Outta my way!

I've read that the sign oftentimes mistaken for being mentally retarded is Scorpio, particularly Moon in Scorpio. Yoohoo! Anybody there? Quite similar to Moon in Tauraus. You wonder sometimes, are they there or where are they? You can say the most shocking things to these people, and not a eyebrow raised!!! Yoohoo! Did you hear me? Want me to repeat that? Love it, love it!!!

Last edited by tijlover; 02-20-2011 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: edit/edit line

Old 02-21-2011, 01:42 AM

896 posts, read 1,853,484 times
My moon is in Scorpio and I agree that I'm like that. Oh well.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:51 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Funny you mention Jim Jones- I was just discussing the charts of psycho-leaders.
One of those who picks my brain about astrology asked, or rather suggested- 'disregarding where and when the planets could actually be, what planetary placements would make a monster of a person, one who is possessed by greed, control, violent and who has no compassion for another person and no remorse for lives taken or lost.'

I threw some thoughts out there - but I'm still rolling that one around. I can see a few different placement combinations.
For sure some Aries, Scorpio & Capricorn placements, could easily put the ASC in one of these- but with that, consider where the houses fall.
At first, seemingly obvious would be Mars at home in Aries, but then I though Scorpio may be a better placement for Mars.
And it pains me to say it, but a Capricorn Sun. Moon in Aries, not sure where i would put Mercury- do i stay with what is possible (sag, cap or aqu) or go with a freeforall for monsters sake- Venus in Leo or Sag, Jupiter in Capi, Saturn and Uranus in Gemini, Neptune in Virgo, Pluto in Sag. But also considered Cancer.
The placements I thought of are quite interesting when looking at J. Jones' chart.
Sun - 22:25 Taurus 5th Hs
Moon - 16:06 Aries 4th
Mercury - 3:35 Taurus 4th
Venus - 21:28 Aries 4th
Mars - 16:17 Cancer 7th
Jupiter - 16:57 Cancer 7th
Saturn - 23:11 Capricorn Rx 1st
Uranus - 17:24 Aries 4th
Neptune - 3:00 Virgo 8th
Pluto - 19:02 Cancer 7th
ASC 6:45 Capricorn

Neptune in Virgo- ouch!
Those Capricorn placements are heavy
Then there is the grouping in Aries. Depending on the orb one likes to use, all three planets are a massive collective force (has true node at 12:34 Aries as well).

Have fun with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal