Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:10 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times

Advertisements

I believe in the things I have perceived directly and discussed with other people who have had the same experiences. For me that includes the existence of a soul, auras/energy/chi, spiritual beings, and telepathy/empathy. I cannot speak for things I haven't experienced and discussed with others (such as aliens and ghosts) because I have no basis for believing or disbelieving them.

I see auras when they are strong and feel them constantly, and I see and feel chi or energy in general, and especially during acupuncture and other types of energy work like Reiki healing. I have always been able to see them to the same degree, regardless of how much physical vision I had.

I have had experiences where my soul left my body. When my soul left it traveled to places my physical body has never been and I could also see perfectly despite varying levels of physical visual impairment during each of my experiences.

I have tuned into people's feelings and physical ailments. I've had other people tune into my feelings and thoughts. I've done this both in person and online. I've experienced bipolar disorder and dissociative identity disorder through empathy and let me tell you that empathizing with the mentally ill is not really a good idea. Once when my friend tuned into my thoughts she could tell in detail what I was thinking and so I got a little creeped out and cleared my mind and then she said now my mind is like a blank slate! I can empathize on the emotional level but I'm not that good!

I've also had premonitions. For example I felt a severe pain in my foot in the exact area that my friend's foot got driven over 5 minutes later. At the time I had that premonition, I was tuning into another friend's body cause he explained a medical condition he had and I was empathizing to see what it felt like. I also had an image of my aunt and uncle's living room renovation about 5 minutes before I arrived at their house to see the renovation physically. When I was blind I had strong feelings of taking alternate routes and often I found out later that there was construction or some other obstacle on the regular route. Every time I have those feelings or premonitions it's when my mind is relatively blank or I am making a conscious effort to tune in. I often wonder how many warnings I miss because I'm too caught up in my mind.

I also believe in Angels because while I can't see them directly, when I started praying to them, my life completely turned around. I got a better job, got out of my abusive marriage, got my vision and hearing back, regained sensation in a numb finger, my knees fell back into alignment, and I have rebuilt several relationships that were previously sour. So with so many good things happening and all so close together, I can't help but believe the Angels I prayed to for help are real.

I believe anyone and everyone can do the things I mentioned. It's not about me or particular individuals. We all have these abilities. It's just a matter of being open to them. I believe the "paranormal" is just normal aspects of reality that science hasn't recognized. I think some areas of science are incredibly close, such as super M-theory.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 02-12-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Until i experienced certain things for myself, or actually with some others, i sort of but had to be convinced. I too have to experience things before making a judgement.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I have premonitions too. Some say it is a gift; others say it is evil. I have never tried to encourage it, but on the other hand, I don't deny it and I accept it as something that happens from time to time. People bave premonitions in different ways. Sometimes I have a "gut" feeling, and sometimes I see pictures.

I saw golden shears cut dad's oxygen line. He died a month later. In this case I wanted to know because I had to take care mother. When my siser-in-law was very ill I saw three small figures not more than 2" tall three time4s.. She died 3 days later.
Did your father die of having an oxygen line cut by golden shears? Was your sister-in-law killed by three 2" tall figures?

In these cases did you write down or tell anyone that the unequivocal meaning of these supposed visions was that your father would die in thirty days and your sister-in-law would die in three days?

I sympathize with your suffering, but this is a very typical instance of selective recall--after the fact you fit your experiences to subsequent events. This is very common, and this kind of story is absolutely no reason to accept these experiences as evidence of premonitory ability.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 AM

My premonitions have most of the time been warnings to try to avoid something bad from happening.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Paranormal: is it real?

Well, the word "normal"- "conforming with an accepted standard, usual" Para is a prefix meaning "beyond" ergo, snow in Hawaii is a paranormal event, does this mean it was inspired by ghosts or evil spirits? I doubt it. Too often it is easier to blame something we do not understand on unknown outside forces, it doesn't make it true, just expedient. Until we have a better understanding of just what "normal" is I would be a bit loath to label anything as "para" normal.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
There are a number of physical conditions, sensory anomalies, and faulty memories that can create paranormal experiences. There are also environmental factors that can cause hallucinations, carbon monoxide, toxins from household cleaning product, and or certain types of mold.

I think some people have overactive temporal lobes (auditory) and or cortex (visual) and have hallucinations, but they dub them paranormal.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
I suspect that people will believe what they want to believe, verifiable evidence is not an important issue except to skeptics, like me. et al.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 AM

I was a skeptic for a long time and it was verifiable evidence that led me to believe the things I do. I ran experiments and cross-checked with other people and everything. I think often skeptics ignore evidence when it's for something they don't want to believe in as well. Both believers and non-believers are biased. I fully admit that now that I am convinced that certain things exist, I will probably more readily believe explanations that fall in line with my pre-existing beliefs, and I am sure the same applies for people who don't believe--they will more readily believe the scientific explanation than any other one, even if both explanations are equally valid (or invalid). It would probably do us all good to just admit that we all have some element of bias, no matter what "side of the argument" we're on.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
There are a number of physical conditions, sensory anomalies, and faulty memories that can create paranormal experiences. There are also environmental factors that can cause hallucinations, carbon monoxide, toxins from household cleaning product, and or certain types of mold.

I think some people have overactive temporal lobes (auditory) and or cortex (visual) and have hallucinations, but they dub them paranormal.
This is definitely true, and as someone who has experienced rapid vision and hearing loss, I am all too familiar with the brain's attempt to fill in the lack of stimulation with its own hallucinations.

I have to say, though, that my hallucinations have always been different from my paranormal experiences. Most of my paranormal experiences have been through sense of feeling anyway, so those experiences are not relevant to the auditory and visual hallucinations I had related to deaf-blindness.

The other thing that sets my paranormal experiences apart from the hallucinations I've had (even hallucinations of paranormal things) is that the real experiences were verifiable either by outside reality or by another person who could perceive the same thing. For example, I could feel auras when I couldn't see people, so I could walk around them without running into them. Obviously that perception isn't just in my head because the link to reality was strong enough that I could rely on my auric perception as a substitute for physical sight. If it was in my head, I'd be bumping into people and walking around spaces where no one was there. I could also feel people come up to me from any direction, and I also tried it out blindfolded just to rule out any possibility of blindsight.

Other examples are that when I saw certain colors in people's auras, other friends of mine saw the same colors. One of the friends I've done the most experiments with is a diehard atheist skeptic, but he can see auras so he can't deny them. From his scientific point of view, because of the experiments he and I have done, they are real.

I do think that many people's paranormal experiences can be explained by other scientific phenomena, but I think there are also times when we just have to sit back and realize maybe there is more to reality than just the physical.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Here is an interesting article I found today and I wanted to share it with you all.

This man has really put things into perspective at the end of his life.

Daily Bruin :: Professor Michael Marra is determined to continue lecturing despite battling the last stage of cancer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal