Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Because those things don't exist.
and you know THAT how?

What it is, is that you BELIEVE it doesn't exist. You have NO empirical data to support your belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 08:23 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
and you know THAT how?

What it is, is that you BELIEVE it doesn't exist. You have NO empirical data to support your belief.

Because those things fall outside the laws of nature. There is no empirical data to say that they do exist. So I view them a nonsense.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
But those emotions need to be relayed by physical means. Be it facial expression, body posture or verbal interaction. They are not transmitted telepathically or by auras or any other way.
Sure they can be. How else do you explain when you suddenly know that someone you care about who may be miles away from you is in trouble or experiencing a problem? You can't see their expressions or their body posture.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:30 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
and you know THAT how?

Precisely. And I've done experiments to be sure that what I am seeing is not just a figment of my mind.

For starters, aura perception is independent of physical sight. So if what someone is really perceiving is auras and not some optical illusion, they should still be able to perceive them blindfolded or through physical barriers such as walls and the Internet.

I have blindfolded myself and other friends and asked them to tell me where I am standing or told them where they are standing. We made sure not to wear cologne, and to use a room with a floor where footsteps couldn't be felt. We also made sure to walk slowly so a wind couldn't be felt and stood at quite a distance so that body heat couldn't be felt either.

I have had conversations with friends through instant messenger about what color or feeling their aura or my aura was. We both consistently agreed on the type of energy we perceived. We also both guessed on the other person's location in a room consistently. I used to use my aura perception to avoid running into people when I was blind. I can still close my eyes and walk right around people and animals (even though I still run into objects) because I, well, perceive auras.

That right there is empirical evidence of the existence of auras. Now my only question to skeptics is, what evidence do you have that they don't exist? Besides the fact that you just don't believe in them, what basis do you have for not believing in them?

Old 02-12-2011, 08:37 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Because those things fall outside the laws of nature. There is no empirical data to say that they do exist. So I view them a nonsense.
How do you know they do? For a long time, physicists thought the theories behind Quantum Mechanics fell outside of the laws of nature because Physics had been restricted to the Relativity and Newtonian models. But they did experiment after experiment on the micro level and realized that the Relativity and Newtonian models don't work on the micro level. They only successfully predict macro level events, but the micro world seemed to work by a whole different set of laws. Then the same thing happened with M-Theory, and now it's happening with Super M-Theory.

A true scientist doesn't any let current or past model limit their worldview. They use it until they do an experiment and find evidence that the current model cannot explain and realize they need to come up with a new model. Someone who gets caught up in an old model even if the face of new evidence that proves it wrong is not a scientist in the truest definition of the word. The face of science is constantly changing as we shift and reevaluate our understanding of the world. We don't know the laws of nature because every century or so our understanding of the laws of nature changes. We haven't yet come to a point where all the phenomena in the world can be explained by one theory so neither you nor I can claim to completely know the laws of nature. Not even the top scientists today claim they know everything because even they admit that our model and understanding of the world could change tomorrow.

My belief in auras is based on experiments I have done. I didn't just decide to believe it one day. I didn't just read a book and decide it must be true. And I didn't just rely on my own perceptions. I did experiments with people before I came to the conclusion that they must indeed be real.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:34 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sure they can be. How else do you explain when you suddenly know that someone you care about who may be miles away from you is in trouble or experiencing a problem? You can't see their expressions or their body posture.

unsubstantiated claims nothing more.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:38 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
That's all right, most of us know that as you spiritually mature, you will understand that your unsubstantiated claims will lose relevance when they are reflected against your life experience.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Why shouldn't they?

In absence of any evidence to the contrary, any of those things are plausible. It is equally plausible that they exist as that they do not. If we have no proof either way...

And perhaps the people who believe in those things have had experiences that justify their belief in such things.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:57 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
There is no empirical evidence that YOU exist, but I bet that you believe you do.

On the other hand, I believe it is likely that neither you or I exist.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:46 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Quite a bit more, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal