Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,509,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
to deny the existence of a soul is tantamount to the denial of self. Yes?

I don't have any experential reference to make a determination either way on that.

What I do know is that there is some kind of difference between life...and non-life. Something present in one, that isn't present in the other, and it couldn't simply be electrical impulses, or we could easily animate the dead like Dr. Frankenstein. But that's merely a child's story, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,340,914 times
nimchimpsky Yes under Cardiac arrest.

Again you are just making up science. Please cite or link to any study which supports this claim. As usual you have not provided one and as usual I expect you can not when asked.

The brain processes information from the senses ALL the time. Regardless of what stress or trauma the body is undergoing, and what level of consciousness the individual is working at.

As long as the brain is alive, and as long as the neurons connecting ANY sense to the brain are operational, the brain will receive, process and store data from them.

That is regardless of coma, cardiac arrest, or any other condition.

Making up astral planes and all that is one thing NimChim. But making up science to back up your fairy tales is another. You are entitled to your own opinion yes, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Stop inventing things.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,414,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
nimchimpsky Yes under Cardiac arrest.

Again you are just making up science. Please cite or link to any study which supports this claim. As usual you have not provided one and as usual I expect you can not when asked.

The brain processes information from the senses ALL the time. Regardless of what stress or trauma the body is undergoing, and what level of consciousness the individual is working at.

As long as the brain is alive, and as long as the neurons connecting ANY sense to the brain are operational, the brain will receive, process and store data from them.

That is regardless of coma, cardiac arrest, or any other condition.

Making up astral planes and all that is one thing NimChim. But making up science to back up your fairy tales is another. You are entitled to your own opinion yes, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Stop inventing things.
I linked you to two scientific studies.

The idea that the world is purely material is an opinion too. You have an opinion and I have an opinion. We both have opinions. Most scientists assume materialistic explanations until proven otherwise--and that too is an opinion. It's an assumption. Like always, there is evidence supporting both sides. Science isn't absolute. Only opinions can be, and some people are wise enough to incorporate at least a shadow of doubt into their opinion. If there is physical evidence of how a person with eyes taped shut or born blind could experience totally normal vision while out of body, then I will be more than happy to change my perspective. Until then, I maintain that consciousness can exist independent of brain activity.

Obviously you think your explanation of reality is better and I think my explanation is better. Let's just agree to disagree.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,340,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I linked you to two scientific studies.
No you linked me to anecdotes and books. A "scientific study" is a study which has appeared in a recognised peer reviewed Journal. You have none to link to because they are not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The idea that the world is purely material is an opinion too. You have an opinion and I have an opinion.
But my opinion is based on a hell of a lot of material facts. Your opinion is based on... stuff you keep making up.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,509,329 times
You are under the assumption that ANYTHING exists. It is quite possible, for a philosophical point of view, that nothing at all exists.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:03 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,188,949 times
Geez Kramer, you remind me of Marvin the robot in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Old 03-13-2011, 06:49 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,524,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Things I don't believe in: (no creditable evidence or not logical)

A god or gods
The soul
Life after death
Ghosts
ESP of any kind
Monsters (Bigfoot, Yeti, Loch Ness monster...etc)
Aliens visiting earth
Voodoo or witchcraft
faith healing
Atlantis

If you believe in any of the above why? Use logic and reason in your statement not faith in things unseen.

Or add to the list of things that many believe in that you have issues with.

If I where to see you face to face, It would stand to reason that you exist physically but what is also reasonable is that you are alive because the spirit within [unseen] can actually think and cause your mouth to speak. Logic therefore tells me that you are more than flesh and blood and that unseen things exist, IE, your spirit. In like manner one can logically reason that God exists because He showed up in bodily form and spoke by His unseen Spirit, heard by many and witnessed to. I too have the witness within, and so I speak of a real experience. You seek and I have found. We have the historical record of Him by many eye witnesses and a sure word of prophesy [Isaiah 53] much greater than my own, to tell us so. Biological life is only the living matter that houses your spirit, but what makes the spirit to live? I hope by now you at lest agree that you have an unseen human spirit but also reason that you are not the source of spiritual life, because you and I did not give to ourselves consciousness, nor did our mothers, and certainly not dead matter nor energy. They gave birth only to the body. The spirit is evidence of something far greater. Therefore the spirit exists, but only as a part of Gods' good traits and unlike Him, we are weighed down by evil for lack of His purity and character. All this is evident in the world. God who is all good is able to destroy the evil within us by His purity and character. This can only be done by coming to Him, His way, as He is the source of all that is good. Because we are only a part of God, then it stands to reason that an individual spirit has to be contained in a separate and unique container called the soul [the will and consciousness that drives the spirit] because the human spirit can not be spread out everywhere like Gods. The human spirit is birthed in the soul by God but with inherited sin traits of previous generations because you would not be at home so to speak and unable to relate to those around you if you were created as an Angel. Therefore God is dead, for the most part, to the consciousness of the fallen human spirit. Life without Him is called by Jesus, "the self life." and "He who seeks his own life shall lose it." The Word of God is given to show us how far we are from Him and to provide a way to know Him. Salvation is a free gift of God and not of self effort lest anyone should boast because false pride [thinking one knows the way without God] is the demise of the whole planet. If the soul is not resurrected with the New Life of The Spirit of God and more consciousness of Gods. Love, then the soul will go on forever without His Peace, Love, Joy, Wisdom and His righteousness. Self righteousness will not cut it. God is pure and you and I are not, apart from having our fallen spirits taken out of the way and replaced more and more by His Spirit. Even then, one is not perfect but is cleansed and given Power to grow in Grace and overcome shortcomings of character. Ones unique personality remains but the spirit and soul are purified daily by Him. Therefore it is reasonable to say that if you want to know the ultimate of the unseen, then "Behold the Lamb of God [a physical form of God as the Son and proof of the unseen] who takes away the sin of the world." So then, the full consciousness of God as Father and we as sons, can only be known by being reborn spiritually in a resurrected soul. I am only writing of the facts and reasons as I know them but it is for you to deal with faith.

Last edited by garya123; 03-13-2011 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal