Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 AM

677 posts, read 934,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Show me. I think I missed it.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you I simply forgot about this thread. Regarding your request, I can't find it either & the story I told happened 20 yrs ago so I've forgotten some of the critical details. Though some on this board think she's crazy I knew she wasn't, furthermore what about her husbands' guest who saw the headless woman, guess he was crazy as well huh? The religious co-worker of mine was a Jehovah's Witness, & regardless of how people may feel about that religion 1 thing is strongly in their favor, they know the bible frontwards & backwards. Though their bible text is worded "slightly" different from the King James bible if you engage them in conversation they quickly know where the bible passage is to back up whatever claims they make, if you dispute their bible they'll tell you quick to give them your bible & they'll show you in your own. So how does 1 argue with that?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
A comment made earlier today by a co-worker of mine sorta baffled me, and thus prompted me to ask you guys what you think.
It was about Ouija boards. Personally I always considered them to be no more than a mildly entertaining albeit meaningless board game, mostly for kids. And that's the only time I played it: once or twice as a kid.
But this friend of mine at work: he's college-educated and is basically a pragmatic sort of person, he isn't overly religious, and he's not a conspiracy nut. I'm even pretty sure his college degree is an a hard science field.
Anyway, when the person he was talking to mentioned her kids playing with a Oija board, my friend became pretty agitated, and adamantly stated that he'd never, ever let his kids play with one, as he felt that the boards "invited malevolent spirits & demons" into the users' world.
The funny thing here is, that in the past I've known several other seemingly skeptical and rational people make an exception in their stoic thinking when regarding Ouija boards. So what say you? Are you likeminded with me: that it's just a box of cardboard and plastic, or do these things actually serve as some sort of portal for our spirit friends to slip into?
Are u as a person, just cardboard and plastic? DO u have a soul? Probably. So what's so tough to believe that spirits can linger after death and can be summoned by ouija boards? My cousin played one as a teen and said he spoke with a woman from the 1400 century who was wearing a yellow coat and was burned to death. When he asked her "when will I die" which is very stupid, the lady said "leave now". BTW my cousin is also very educated, well back then he was younger and foolish, but maintains his story even today.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you I simply forgot about this thread. Regarding your request, I can't find it either & the story I told happened 20 yrs ago so I've forgotten some of the critical details. Though some on this board think she's crazy I knew she wasn't, furthermore what about her husbands' guest who saw the headless woman, guess he was crazy as well huh? The religious co-worker of mine was a Jehovah's Witness, & regardless of how people may feel about that religion 1 thing is strongly in their favor, they know the bible frontwards & backwards. Though their bible text is worded "slightly" different from the King James bible if you engage them in conversation they quickly know where the bible passage is to back up whatever claims they make, if you dispute their bible they'll tell you quick to give them your bible & they'll show you in your own. So how does 1 argue with that?
I believe your story, or rather, the woman's. I guess the lesson is that her initial instincts to avoid that woman were correct and that we should follow up on those inner warnings. This is not always the case, but I remember all the tales of 9/11 - the people who were going to be at the twin towers on that day who got up late or cancelled for flimsy reasons, their trek to the towers. My husband and his friend each cancelled with the other on that day for no good reason. Was it Jung or Freud who thought we reached some decisions on an intuitive or emotional level and then rationalized better sounding reasons for our decisions consciously? Some religions preach that we should listen to the 'still, small voice within'.

Concerning the bible, people who study it well and honestly find many contradictions and thus can offer verses which are pro and con on many concepts. Almost every religion can offer some sort of banishing of evil. It is not just Christians who corner the market here, or JW's, but just that these religions are more prevalent here than some others. Please remember that the native Americans in this country had a rich tradition in dealing with these things, as well as Hindus, I suspect, and most probably there are those in the Jewish traditions who have methods. Please don't get stuck in an 'my way or the highway' religious bullying.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I personally think you guys have all been effectively brainwashed by the media on this issue...who does not remember those compelling scenes in the "exorcist" of little Reagan AKA Linda Blair playing with her Ouija Board...that is what started this hysteria about Ouija boards being evil.

Are you guys afraid to swim in the ocean too? (Jaws)
Are you afraid of evil spirits coming in through your tv? (Polergiest)

Old 05-10-2011, 01:03 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
There is evil in the world- that is a fact.
Be it in a person and that is just how they are - or some unseen entity.
I say entity because there is much we do not know that science has yet to find valid explanations for.
However- I am not one that subscribes to there being Demons...regardless of what a religions states.
What one needs to concider is that these religions have been around for a very long time and back then people did not understand things like mental retardation, bi-polarism, and schizophrenia. To 'simple' man these things would probably be seen as an influence of evil. So the concept of possessions comes into being.
Where I do 'believe' in demons is on a symbolic level. Let's take the Jewish demoness, Lilith. She was created at the same time as Adam, thus his equal. She became a demon when she would not submit to Adam (I like to say she wanted to be on top and he would not let her )- so she left the Garden and thus, pissed off god. So why would she become a demon? And why is she not in the bible?
Is it because the story would empower women in a society controlled by men? Hmmm....

Old 05-10-2011, 01:21 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I personally think you guys have all been effectively brainwashed by the media on this issue...who does not remember those compelling scenes in the "exorcist" of little Reagan AKA Linda Blair playing with her Ouija Board...that is what started this hysteria about Ouija boards being evil.

Awesome point!!! - TV- they don't call it 'programming' for no reason!

Now Jaws- not as good as an example because shark attacks do happen, no mysterious unseen entity there, however...on the flip side, it sort of is a valid example....
I laughed when I read the comment only because of my own experience that does demonstrate and supports the 'Exorcist' movies influence upon people.
I was about 8 when Jaws came out. A week later we went to the beach, pacific ocean side...I was not paying attention, playing on top of a log with my back to the waves. I got knocked down by a wave and was fully in the water (only 18 inches of it, which adds to the humor). Everyone who was with me, dry and on the beach were laughing hysterically at me. Why? Because I had a look of complete terror and fear upon my face. The only thing on my mind as I was in the water, Jaws!
Do I fear a swim in the ocean now? No. Even back then I came to my senses after it was over. Even at 8 I knew that a shark would not be found in the surf. But there was that initial unexpected event and the fear that followed.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Well, in some waters in Florida I may ask for shark warnings. It is the area in the entire world with the most shark citings and mishaps on beaches, I think. It may be that Australia is no 1 an Fla is no 2, though. My memory is not that great.

If I did automatic writing or Ouija I would surround myself in white light and ask for input for only beneficial sources. There is nothing wrong with using prudence in these matters.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Are u as a person, just cardboard and plastic?
I'm just a meat jacket, don't mind me.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Well, in some waters in Florida I may ask for shark warnings. It is the area in the entire world with the most shark citings and mishaps on beaches, I think.

If I did automatic writing or Ouija I would surround myself in white light and ask for input for only beneficial sources. There is nothing wrong with using prudence in these matters.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:25 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post

I believe you..Im also a JW..we have Jehovah replaced instead of God..
We use his name
But I wouldn't doubt your story.
I had a similiar experience before I became a JW...at my boyfriends house.
He would leave to work and I would sleep in at his house..I was so drowsy, I heard the door open and him coming back to bed and saying he came back home and didn't go work..We would than make out..mind you my eyes were still closed...I would open up my eyes and nothing was there..
I thought it was my imagination..or I was dreaming..
Until it happened a few more times again at his house..
I've never experienced that before anywhere,
After studying with the JW..I didnt tell them this story..yet..But I knew it was demons.
I knew Jehovah was the most powerful and I would never experience that again..I did eventually tell them of my experience, and no they didn't think I was crazy..
I won't mess with a wijjie board...Thats what I call it.
I won't allow one in my house.
My kids aren't allowed to play with one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal