Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:11 AM

422 posts, read 649,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Are you suggesting that New Orleans was hit by Katrina because some people practice voodoo? If so, then that would mean that god allowed Christians of all kinds there in New Orleans to suffer because a minority of people practice voodoo. Does this actually make sense?
Thats not what I meant by my ditto to the Katrina reference. Many believe that the were destroyed not because a few people(understatement) practice voodoo but because they worship death and dark things. They also worship hedonism etc...Not going to discuss someone elses opinion on it, just clarifying what I meant since the ditto was admittedly vague.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Ditto

To answer the question heck no. If it's your children why would you even chance it. "I absolutely will potentially endanger my kids to prove a point" !!
You're right, and swerver is totally wrong!

My two adult sons are still getting over the trauma of getting stuck in the Gooey Gumdrops.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
In seventh grade I had a slumber party at my parents' house where six of us used the Ouija board and experienced several unexplainable occurrences. After that, years later, there are clocks coming off the walls and washing machine lids opening mysteriously, among other things. I think we invited someone or something in, or woke them up.

I wouldn't use one again anywhere, nor would I buy one as a gift for someone.
That's why I'd rather not touch one.

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-1L...eature=related

Video description/transcript:
[Bird's eye view of the Ouija board on a wooden table. The planchette is placed on the center of the Ouija board.]
User: All right let's see what the old Ouija board can do for us today--[the planchette moves a bit on its own--no physical contact from the user]--whoah.
OK. OK, um, is--is there a spirit present with us today? [Planchette indicates "yes" with no physical contact from the user]
[guffaw]Yes. OK. Um, are you a good spirit? [Planchette indicates "No"]
No. Um, okay. Well, can you--can you tell us--can you tell me your name--spell out your name, if you can do that for me, spell out your name.
[Planchette spells out S-A-T--]
User: Oh boy. Oh boy. Oh a-a-a-all right, all right. Stop. That's enough--that's enough--that's enough! That's enough! Stop!

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TabGZ...eature=related

Video description/transcript:
[Black screen]
User: All right, can't see crap except the T.V. here. Gonna turn on a light.
User: But…we have just experienced some freaky sh.t. [View of table appears, then camera focuses on Ouija board.] Um…this Ouija board--I don't know if anyone out there has ever experienced this but, [coughing] we were made into thinking that what we first connected to was a good spirit. And we were made into thinking too that, it was a maid, a less power-field--uh--powerful one. But the thing is, after we--after the second time--after we--by the first time we did it again, and this Ouija piece [User places the planchette on center of the board] kept spinning out of control. I'm gonna try to recreate it, see if he's gonna say anything. [To his friend] Shut the TV off. Shut the TV off. [Camera angle changes to side-view and then back to aerial view.] No. All right. Put your hand on there. [User and friend place hands on planchette.]
User: What was his name?
Friend: You forget?
User: Huh?
Friend: Stefan.
User: Stefan, are you th--[Planchette makes sudden movement, causing both users to release it. First user moves planchette back to the center of the board.]
User: Like that. I think he's kind of mad at us now. Stefan, are you there? [No response for a minute. The planchette moves suddenly on its own again, causing them to let go again.] Okay. Hm. [inaudible]
Friend: We're done playing.
User: We're--we're…we're d--done. Bye.

Moving the planchette to answers when your hands are on it can be explained with Jungian psychology and the subconscious and all that good stuff. But what about when the user's hands are off the planchette completely, as shown in the first video? There are plenty of other videos on YouTube of people playing with Ouija boards and the planchette or other objects in the vicinity moving on their own, usually in a thrust-like manner. I don't really have an explanation for that one, but I'd really rather not chance it.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:27 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times
I am sure that if Chris Angel can make himself appear to fly and walk on water, a bunch of kids can make a device appear to move.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Damn, if its on YouTube, it must be real! Like Harry Potter and cartoons! I'm not chancing it either. Now excuse me while I fly away on my unicorn.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:37 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
That's why I'd rather not touch one.

Moving the planchette to answers when your hands are on it can be explained with Jungian psychology and the subconscious and all that good stuff. But what about when the user's hands are off the planchette completely, as shown in the first video? There are plenty of other videos on YouTube of people playing with Ouija boards and the planchette or other objects in the vicinity moving on their own, usually in a thrust-like manner. I don't really have an explanation for that one, but I'd really rather not chance it.
the first video is clearly stop motion animation. Watch the background as the planchette moves. Notice shadow and lighting change in the same jerky way as the movements of the planchette?

As for the second, there's a similar one at Fact or Faked: Faked!

It's done with very light fishing line, apparently.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:31 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
You are kidding, please tell me you are just messing around here.

Did you know gullible is not in the dictionary either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough
My two adult sons are still getting over the trauma of getting stuck in the Gooey Gumdrops.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:52 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm a world traveler and one of (many!) things I collect is masks. Usually they are carved out of wood or made from papier-mache ... and some in my collection are from places like Guatemala, Peru, Brazil, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, etc.

Admittedly some of my masks are grotesque or fiendish looking ... but I consider them an example of folk art. One of my favorites is used in the traditional Siamese Ramakein Khon classical opera/ballet of a crowned demon called Yakha.

Anyway, once a lady visited my home and I showed her some of my masks and she freaked out! She said they were demonic and devilish things! I should never put one on are even hold it up to my face ... I might get possessed! Under no circumstances should I hang them on the wall, where they might come alive at night!

Can you believe that there are people who appear to be normal and rational and yet hold on to such superstitions??? Yikes!
Oh, I can top that. I had a coworker once who in her previous life had been a knife-wielding junkie that got busted, did jail time, and then became a "born-again". She ran around the office warning everyone of hell and damnation and left what she thought were appropriate bible verses for certain people on post-it notes on their computer screens. I mean, this woman royally pissed off the rest of the Christians on the floor.

Anyway, one of her more laughable moments was stopping by the cube of a woman who had one of those troll dolls sitting on top of her file cabinet. The born-again told her that it was a representation of Satan and she should get rid of it.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
the first video is clearly stop motion animation. Watch the background as the planchette moves. Notice shadow and lighting change in the same jerky way as the movements of the planchette?

As for the second, there's a similar one at Fact or Faked: Faked!

It's done with very light fishing line, apparently.
Lol, actually, I totally didn't notice. I'm just getting used to using my eyes again so I'm not quite at the noticing details in the background level yet.

But I have heard people report similar experiences in real life, so still not chancing it. There's no reason for me to use a Ouija board anyway, so it's not like not using one is a huge hindrance.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
You are kidding, please tell me you are just messing around here.

Did you know gullible is not in the dictionary either?

No I really have heard stories of people who were messing around with a Ouija board and where objects in the room went flying off the shelf. It's not just based on YouTube that I choose to refrain from using Ouija. I've also had other personal experiences (positive in my case) that lead me to believe spirit is real. If that was the sole reason, I can see why you would consider me gullible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal