Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:56 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

I have seen two UFOs so far, both about 25 years ago. It was late at night and I was star gazing as I did so often back then. Suddenly there were two such objects moving across the sky very fast, way faster than any plane let alone helicopter. They literally stopped in the air, stayed put for about 2 minutes and then flew away as fast as they had come. It all happened quite close to our family home, it was a more or less rural area and dead silent as always at night, no sounds whatsoever. If it had been a jet or helicopter one should have heard at least a slight sound, plus their ways of movement would have been different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 09:01 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
I don't believe any of this UFO nonsense, and I don't believe in ghosts either. I'm just saying.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Everyone is talking about the Republican debate but I find this UFO subject much more interesting and entertaining.

To anyone interested in the UFO debate, you should try to visit the UFO Museum at Roswell, New Mexico. It used to be free and they have some things there that are thought provoking even to the skeptic. The last time I was there I had the opportunity to meet Glenn Dennis, the young mortician in 1947 who was asked by the Army to locate some childrens' coffins. I still have the alien hat pin he gave me that day.
The problem I have with children's coffins is why would the government bury the aliens in coffins?? That they had to get from a funeral home??

But I agree it's more interesting than the Republican debate

Old 09-10-2011, 12:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
The problem I have with children's coffins is why would the government bury the aliens in coffins?? That they had to get from a funeral home??

But I agree it's more interesting than the Republican debate
I think the supposed aliens were the size of children. And I suppose the Army wanted something to ship them in. Lots of suppositions in this whole story. My biggest problem with the story is a Federal government smart enough to keep such an incredible story a secret since 1947. Someone posted the President's flight plan on the internet just this week.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:36 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
There's no such thing as "UFOs". Do you honestly believe little creatures from another "world" have come to visit us? Our unique position in a vast sea of anything close enough to travel to reveals that if there ever were "little green men", they'd never be able to travel here within a time-frame to allow them to do so.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
I think the supposed aliens were the size of children. And I suppose the Army wanted something to ship them in. Lots of suppositions in this whole story. My biggest problem with the story is a Federal government smart enough to keep such an incredible story a secret since 1947. Someone posted the President's flight plan on the internet just this week.
An example of Gov't waste at it's worse, why couldn't they pack the Aliens two each in all their available regular-sized coffins and not alert the lookie-loos.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
There are some 5-10% of cases that cannot be explained. Nick Pope the former head of UK ministry of Defense has investigated a few interesting cases. While he doesn't out right claim the unknown cases are 100% of alien origin he says that most governments like to deny that they care about the issue because they don't like to admit that they have lost control of their own airspace.

Now why is it so hard to believe that a more advanced race would come and observe us? What if they're curious individuals like us who like to observe and investigate. We investigate animals, caves, oceans, countries and forests on our planet and have even sent probes to other planets in the solar system. I have read some people don't think it's likely because of the distance. However, if there are more advanced races wouldn't it be logical to assume they might have discovered methods to travel large distances in shorter periods of time?
Considering the vastness of space, and the physical limitation of the speed of light, what makes you think anyone or anything knows where we are? Our broadcasts could not have traveled more than 150 light years, and we are located in a particularly isolated area of the galaxy, between two spiral arms. We know, in detail, every star in our neighborhood for more than 1,000 light years in every direction, and none of them harbor intelligent life.

To assume that some other form of life stumbled upon Earth accidentally, or is even remotely interested in our existence, is beyond irrational. It is borderline insanity.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:15 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Considering the vastness of space, and the physical limitation of the speed of light, what makes you think anyone or anything knows where we are? Our broadcasts could not have traveled more than 150 light years, and we are located in a particularly isolated area of the galaxy, between two spiral arms. We know, in detail, every star in our neighborhood for more than 1,000 light years in every direction, and none of them harbor intelligent life.

To assume that some other form of life stumbled upon Earth accidentally, or is even remotely interested in our existence, is beyond irrational. It is borderline insanity.
We might have that type of information, but we still don't have the technology to accurately observe whether or not those star systems have planets with life. We have found many extra solar planets, some are even at the right distance from their star to have life in them, but without better instruments we can't say for sure. Some even believe there is other life on some of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; perhaps not intelligent life as they're most likely in underground oceans but it's life nonetheless. Now I can understand your skepticism but I also think it's very egotistical to believe we are the only intelligent life in the galaxy or the universe for that matter.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:27 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
We might have that type of information, but we still don't have the technology to accurately observe whether or not those star systems have planets with life. We have found many extra solar planets, some are even at the right distance from their star to have life in them, but without better instruments we can't say for sure. Some even believe there is other life on some of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; perhaps not intelligent life as they're most likely in underground oceans but it's life nonetheless. Now I can understand your skepticism but I also think it's very egotistical to believe we are the only intelligent life in the galaxy or the universe for that matter.
A great many of those stars within a 1,000 light years of Earth do have planets. Exactly what kind of planets they are, we are not able to say presently. However, any intelligent life that has advanced to at least our level of technology would not be bound by the limitations of their planet, or even their solar system. Just as our radio and television broadcasts have penetrated our solar system and beyond, so would theirs.

I never said that I did not believe in intelligent life on other planets, I said it is borderline insanity to believe that they have visited us, or will visit us in the future.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:32 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,475 times
Quote:
My biggest problem with the story is a Federal government smart enough to keep such an incredible story a secret since 1947. Someone posted the President's flight plan on the internet just this week.
I agree.

IN the age of Wikileaks, Anonymous (hackers), leaks, revengeful employees, foreign enemies, it's pretty hard for me to believe that the government can keep that big of secret for 60+ years..
If we are being visited I doubt the government knows more then we do.

A few polls say the majority believe we are not alone, it is logical that we are not alone.

The real question is are aliens visiting? sure its possible.

Are they "interacting" with humans? I have my doubts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal