Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times

Advertisements

You think believing in God is a mental illness?

How did science explain all the birds falling from the sky dead not too long ago? There isn't always a scientific explanation--oh and I bet there are a few scientists who believe in ghosts. You cannot categorically say there are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:25 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
They're not only watching; They're helping.
I agree.

Quote:
I think people who believe in ghosts, who actually claim they've seen ghosts, are delusional and having delusions is a form of mental illness. (I think the same things of people who believe in god too.)
I disagree.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times
Speaking religiously...if you believe in God...you would have to believe in spirits. The Bible talks of demon possession along with other good spirits visiting the living. Believing in spirits is very biblical.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:39 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Charles,
You are so wrong.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
You think believing in God is a mental illness?

How did science explain all the birds falling from the sky dead not too long ago? There isn't always a scientific explanation--oh and I bet there are a few scientists who believe in ghosts. You cannot categorically say there are not.
Yes, I do think believing in the supernatural, being superstitious, being delusional is a mental illness. People are brainwashed by their parents, pastors, etc to believe all this nonsense. It is irrational and delusional. I don't think being irrational and and delusional is a healthy mental state. Do you?

I don't know how science explained the falling birds. But there probably (like 99.9999%) is a scientific explanation. It is possible god or ghosts did it, but not likely.

Yes, there are probably some scientists who believe in ghosts. I am not implying no scientists believe in ghosts.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
...I am wondering if people who work in geriatric centers have some interesting observations to share. I'll bet they do and keep this info amongst themselves. ...
Yes, they do, and in hospitals, too.

Often people near death report seeing loved ones gather around them. Staff and even family members usually brush this off as a confused old person.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Charles,
You are so wrong.
You might be right.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
In the last 69 hundred years there are exactly zero documented instances of spirits or ghosts or god or a soul or prayers working. Zero.
Maybe you should broach the subject with Ptsum. Wise, smart man and he might be able to shed a little light on this for you.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Yes, they do, and in hospitals, too.

Often people near death report seeing loved ones gather around them. Staff and even family members usually brush this off as a confused old person.
When my mother was in her last days she would often talk about her 'visitors'.

Funny thing about that, she had a couple of them that we never told her had died.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:57 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
It's supernatural because by definition it can't be natural - not because we have no explanation for it. There are a lot of things scientists don't know but those things aren't supernatural. Ghosts are not known to exist. People believe they do. Scientists don't believe they exist. There are some medical mysteries, things scientists don't know due to technology limitations or lack of data, but they aren't supernatural.

I think people who believe in ghosts, who actually claim they've seen ghosts, are delusional and having delusions is a form of mental illness. (I think the same things of people who believe in god too.)
Would you prefer 'Super-natural-world-as-we-know it'?
You have every understanding of what I meant.
It was not 'natural' to think that man would be able to fly at one time.

As psychology and physics expands our knowledge, so will the rest of us and what seems unbelievable to many today will have some sort of rational explanation. How many alternate dimensions have mathematicians proven to date? It is two digits, I know.

Actually, there are many weird things that modern science has observed and I would not call the scientists delusional. There are instances in which people with multiple personality disorder have actually had changed eye color as personalities changed, and different visual prescriptions. Sure, that could be some mind/body phenomenon but it is still an oddity that has no current explanation, just theories.

The only reason I am saying this is that you must admit (I think) that there are things that are observed by scientific minds that have no current explanation.

About God, maybe yes, maybe no. I tend to think that if there is a god it is too abstract for me to set my mind upon. There are too many false starts in evolution for me to believe in a god who knows what he is doing: there is too much order in the universe for me to believe it is all happenstance. So if there is a god it is certainly something apart from what his supposed believers think he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal