Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many people on C-D believe in the Paranormal?
I have no doubt in my mind that the paranormal exists because I myself have had an experience(s) 21 39.62%
I believe in the paranormal because a credible source has told me their own compelling experience(s) 10 18.87%
I do not believe in the paranormal because I have never had an experience and/or I do not think other stories are credible 22 41.51%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:16 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
For one, there are many people, such as myself who have experienced what people call paranormal, but do not believe the phenomenon is due to supernatural forces. For example, a person can see what appears to be a ghost, yet still not believe in ghosts; they may think that there has to be some other explanation for what they saw other than it truly was a ghost.

Two, just because many people who experience "paranormal" experiences believe in the paranormal, it does not mean that everyone who experiences the paranormal will believe the phenomenon was truly paranormal.

Three, it is a non sequitur (latin for "it does not follow"), a logical fallacy where a stated conclusion is not supported by its premise. There is no reason why a person must change their beliefs just because they experience something they don't have an immediate explanation for. People have experienced the "paranormal" and do not become believers in the paranormal.
That's OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
I think you have a problem with your terminology.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 PM

I don't understand how someone could consciously deny their own experience.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:39 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think that both the God question and the paranormal question can be answered with a YES a NO or an I DON"T KNOW. Without further clarification, as long as one can read and understand English.
In principle yes, in practice I've found that's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Because it is no doubt hallucinations caused by misfiring neurons in the temporal lobes of the brain.
Then the experience is not paranormal. Or it is paranormal if paranormal simply means "an unusual event beyond your normal experience." (That might sound "woo woo" but winning $500 on a scratch-ticket could possibly fit that version of "paranormal.")

So if you have what others, or yourself once, sees as a "paranormal experience" there's just two ways where I think you could disbelieve in the paranormal.

1: You disbelieve the experience was paranormal, therefore you did not have a paranormal experience. This would make it where you actually aren't "A person who experienced the paranormal and disbelieves it." You're more, "A person who experienced what's alleged to have been paranormal, but who doesn't personally agree with that opinion."

2: You disbelieve it the way you disbelieve in a politician. You think it's a genuine paranormal experience, but you have no confidence in it. It's just weird irrelevant stuff or it's some thing that told you lies or nonsense.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 07-13-2011 at 12:54 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 PM

71 posts, read 104,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I don't understand how someone could consciously deny their own experience.

Me either ...They have to convince themselves its all in their mind-- maybe so they dont go crazy

Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsWeird View Post
Me either ...They have to convince themselves its all in their mind-- maybe so they dont go crazy
Not at all. I believe everything has a valid, scientific explanation. I may not know that explanation. Shoot, scientists may not have figured it out yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Not at all. I believe everything has a valid, scientific explanation. I may not know that explanation. Shoot, scientists may not have figured it out yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
Well if scientists have not figured it out yet, then I wouldnt close the door on an experience with the paranormal being more than just "neurons firing away rapidly, causing the mind to create an image"

Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsWeird View Post
Well if scientists have not figured it out yet, then I wouldnt close the door on an experience with the paranormal being more than just "neurons firing away rapidly, causing the mind to create an image"
Just to clear up the use of the term "paranormal", I define the word as something beyond the range of normal experience or scientific explanation.

That said, I approach weird things as potentially solvable or understandable. I say, "Hmm, this strange thing happened (or I think it happened). I wonder what the logical explanation is for that?" It doesn't occur to me to believe it was a ghost or a telepathic experience.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 AM

anyone else?

Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 AM

Is paranormal the same as supernatural? Or is there some minor semantic difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal