U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:45 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,801,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
That's called brain damage.
This is why athests are disliked.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 03:08 PM

223 posts, read 241,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
This is why athests are disliked.

Why? Too reliant on facts?

Sorry, it's not the DMT, and it's not nerve impulses in the brain altering perception. Those images you see while either (a) high on DMT or (b) dying, is the spirit form of Jesus (or is it St. Peter?) wearing his flowing white linens and ushering you into the clouds where your wings, harp and halo await your eternal ownership. Sorry, you're right. We should just utterly capitulate to that view, because anything else results in us being disliked.

I'll remain disliked, thank you.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Why? Too reliant on facts?

No, too reliant on snide comments and childish insults. Citing brain damage as the only credible explanation for religious faith is over the line. It's uncalled for. It's insulting.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
No, too reliant on snide comments and childish insults. Citing brain damage as the only credible explanation for religious faith is over the line. It's uncalled for. It's insulting.
It is brain damage, in the exact same way that a computer virus is damaging to the hard drive of your computer.

As children, we're taught to listen to, and obey adults. Our brain development is such that we're receptive to facts, instruction and muscle memory in ways that we will never be again, for the rest of our lives.

Religious imbeciles -- like evil computer hackers -- exploit this fact, and upload religious idiocy (God made the world in 7 days, Adam & Eve, Jesus fed 5,000 people with loaves of fish, there's a hell, there's a heaven, etc.) with zero basis in evidence whatsoever, so that children have this "virus" hardwired into their brains for (hopefully from the standpoint of religious idiots) the rest of their lives. It's damaging and destructive.

That doesn't always reflect on the one who is damaged, however. It's merely a fact. Accordingly, I don't know how what I said could be perceived as insulting.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:43 PM

Sure, it's not insulting to you because it's your opinion.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM

7,943 posts, read 5,221,222 times
Quote:
That's called brain damage.
spiritual people are not particularly disfuctional at replication and living. so perhaps its merely like "brain surgery". either way its a change that must be understood. though the evidence does seem to point to personal beliefs always being involved. (like your "st. peter vs. Jesus himself" comment) many people used to see the polytheist gods of their chosing and their folklore's definition of hell or heaven. the oracles are a curious thing, but soothsayers still get payed for their vague rantings even today. most people would distrust someone who believes in personal visitations and visions though, especially if it doesn't fit into their "frame" (cognitive dissonance).

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 08-01-2011 at 06:19 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Sure, it's not insulting to you because it's your opinion.
That's not my opinion. Everything I said above is verifiable fact. As opposed to religious doctrine, which rests exclusively -- and proudly -- on unsupportable faith.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM

13,900 posts, read 11,670,950 times
What gets me is how alot of people describe the same exact thing.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 PM

15,511 posts, read 14,734,390 times
We live in a physical world and have physical strengths, weaknesses and experiences. Death is a natural part of the physical body. We will all experience it at least once.

Except under exceptional conditions death is never immediate, it is a process and occurs in steps. Our body is composed of several systems in the death process these systems do not all shut down at the same time. The shutting down of the CNS is quite interesting as the brain turns of in a rather precise manner. the sense of hearing is usually the last to go and the visual cortex is one of the earliest. but even it does not all shut down instantly, there is a process involved. One of the last events of the visual cortex is a sudden stimulation of all of the visual neurons. Most likely this would give the perception of a bright light. Now how the cerebral cortex perceives this sudden light probably differs from person, to person. A person's live experiences and beliefs will probably influence what a person thinks that light is. One thing we do know is that the seeing of the bright light is night quite death as some people are resuscitated even after reaching that point.

Just my opinion but I do not think a person experiencing an NDE has actually died and the NDE is no insight into what death is. A person experiencing NDE has just come close to death, but has not seen beyond the limitations of this physical realm we call life. To me NDE is an inaccurate term, it is like saying a woman can be almost pregnant.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,429,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
White lights and NDE are linked to DMT. Which even though some people are saying white lights and NDE has nothing to do with God, those that try DMT seem to come out of it with a more spiritual view of the world.
I first heard about DMT 10 years ago. After doing quite a bit of reading about the substance I decided to try it. According to the book I read (DMT The Spirit Molecule) it sounded like a guaranteed way to have a spiritual experience. I had been chasing such an experience all of my life via everything from meditation to LSD and other psychedelics to no avail.

So I learned how to extract DMT from Mimosa Hostilis Rootbark (easily available from internet suppliers) and soon took my first trip. It was very intense (like being shot out of a cannon into a hyperdimensional kaleidoscope) but not the least bit spiritual. I've since been on about 30-40 trips taking as many as 7 tokes before liftoff, but its always the same: no entity contact, nothing spiritual.

Overall the experiences just reafirmed my atheism. Now Salvia Divinorum is a different story altogether. With this substance I've had experiences that don't fit into my atheistic view of reality. Either the substance produces something akin to a wide awake dream making the experience simply a hallucination or there is some other realm that we do not currently know about or understand. My rational mind tells me that its just hallucination, but the experience seems so incredibly vivid and real that I cannot fully convince myself that there's nothing to it. You'll just have to try it and make up your own mind. Its still available over the internet in many states although many others have banned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal