U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 11,662,656 times
Reputation: 8956

Advertisements

I am not going to argue with die-hard atheists. I do wonder if something happened to you cause a trauma whereby you cut yourself off from your own, innate spirituality.

I also wonder if you enjoy nature and what you think about natural wonders.

And I wonder if you understand science at all, what you make of Quantum Physics which says that if a butterfly flaps its wings on one side of the Earth, there is some kind of ripple effect on the other side (that everything is connected in the big system).

But I digresss . . .

On the issue of NDE's, it might be fun for you, as an experiment, to read some of the actual accounts and then see what you think. God forbid you should ever HAVE an NDE. If you do, please report back!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 11,616,352 times
Reputation: 7260
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
Same way you don't.
So is this an admission that Mystic could be right???? That you, in reality, have no more idea of what you are talking about than Mystic does??? That you just choose to believe one thing, and Mystic the other, but either could in theory be right????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 11,616,352 times
Reputation: 7260
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I also wonder if you enjoy nature and what you think about natural wonders.
Beauty and wonder is only an attribute of the observer. Picture you and your husband or freind or whatever, gazing off into some remarkable sunset and you just cant seem to get past how beautiful it really is. You think, " this is clear proof of a god". Chances are that the slug clinging to the rock two or three feet away staring at that same sunset couldn't care less. The slug probly has little to no concept of beauty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 11,662,656 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Beauty and wonder is only an attribute of the observer. Picture you and your husband or freind or whatever, gazing off into some remarkable sunset and you just cant seem to get past how beautiful it really is. You think, " this is clear proof of a god". Chances are that the slug clinging to the rock two or three feet away staring at that same sunset couldn't care less. The slug probly has little to no concept of beauty.
What on Earth does that have to do with anything?

The slug is also an integral part of nature.

The food chain is perfect. Insects are perfect. All of life is perfection - we are spinning in space at the moment. We have gravity. All of that is nothing short of intelligent design . . . by who or what I do not know, but design it is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 11,616,352 times
Reputation: 7260
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
What on Earth does that have to do with anything?

The slug is also an integral part of nature.

The food chain is perfect. Insects are perfect. All of life is perfection - we are spinning in space at the moment. We have gravity. All of that is nothing short of intelligent design . . . by who or what I do not know, but design it is.
The point I try to make is simple, beauty nor complexity are NOT signs of a Creator because they both are attributes of the observer. What may seem complex to you, may not be quite as complex to someone else. The same goes for beauty. Complexity is measured only by the observers ability to comprehend and understand what it is they are observing

I say these things because in one of your above posts, you say you wonder what atheists think of natural wonders....

Quote:
I also wonder if you enjoy nature and what you think about natural wonders.



.....as if they are so wonderful and complex that they have be works of God.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 11,662,656 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The point I try to make is simple, beauty nor complexity are NOT signs of a Creator because they both are attributes of the observer. What may seem complex to you, may not be quite as complex to someone else. The same goes for beauty. Complexity is measured only by the observers ability to comprehend and understand what it is they are observing
That makes absolutely no sense. It is undefendable . . .

Complexity is not subjective . . .it's a mathematical certainty. See Chaos Theory for details . . .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 26,166,988 times
Reputation: 8324
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am not going to argue with die-hard atheists. I do wonder if something happened to you cause a trauma whereby you cut yourself off from your own, innate spirituality.
Yea, heard a tale from the bible about a vengeful murderous god that killed all but half a dozen people on the whole planet during one of his childish tantrums that one would expect from a small child that wants a toy in the toy aisle at Wal-Mart, and decided that I want to kowtow to this murderous misfit of a god while quaking in irrational fear of retribution if I commit some horrific sin like masturbating or taking its name in vain ........................... not

Or I looked at the insanity of believing in such an absurd concept as the god of the babbling bilble and decided that I would not willfully be that stupid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 11:23 PM
 
223 posts, read 240,725 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am not going to argue with die-hard atheists. I do wonder if something happened to you cause a trauma whereby you cut yourself off from your own, innate spirituality.

I also wonder if you enjoy nature and what you think about natural wonders.
I guarantee you most of us enjoy nature and natural wonders more than you, because we actually bother to read and understand how they work. You think they poofed into being thanks to your magic grey-beard creator. We know life evolved through millions of years of adaptation, and that each attribute has a benefit to each organism that can be observed and explained.

In short, I'd wager most atheists have a much deeper appreciation for the complexity of nature and human life. Why? Because the more you know, the more you want to know. You're stupid, so you're content with "God did it."

Quote:
And I wonder if you understand science at all, what you make of Quantum Physics which says that if a butterfly flaps its wings on one side of the Earth, there is some kind of ripple effect on the other side (that everything is connected in the big system).


What the hell about quantum physics dictates that a creator needs to be involved?

Science says "hey, here are some facts, let's try and draw conclusions from them." Your stupid religion says "here's a conclusion that we have predetermined, let's pick out facts to back it up!"

Do you see the difference? Moderator cut: delete

Quote:
On the issue of NDE's, it might be fun for you, as an experiment, to read some of the actual accounts and then see what you think. God forbid you should ever HAVE an NDE. If you do, please report back!
Quote:
I've heard the accounts, and seen episodes of scooby doo. What's your point?


Read a science book. Just. One.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-05-2011 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: personal attack
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 11,662,656 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
[/color][/b]

I guarantee you most of us enjoy nature and natural wonders more than you, because we actually bother to read and understand how they work. You think they poofed into being thanks to your magic grey-beard creator. We know life evolved through millions of years of adaptation, and that each attribute has a benefit to each organism that can be observed and explained.

In short, I'd wager most atheists have a much deeper appreciation for the complexity of nature and human life. Why? Because the more you know, the more you want to know. You're stupid, so you're content with "God did it."



What the hell about quantum physics dictates that a creator needs to be involved?

Science says "hey, here are some facts, let's try and draw conclusions from them." Your stupid religion says "here's a conclusion that we have predetermined, let's pick out facts to back it up!"

Do you see the difference? Probably not, you slack-jawed cretin.

[b][color=darkorchid]

I've heard the accounts, and seen episodes of scooby doo. What's your point?


Read a science book. Just. One.
No where in my posts do I mention a gray haired man with a beard or religion of any kind.

On your point about "adaptation" - You have a really good imagination if you can imagine a scenario where there was nothing and then there was something . . . what would have caused something?

And why are you so angry?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 PM
 
223 posts, read 240,725 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
No where in my posts do I mention a gray haired man with a beard or religion of any kind.

On your point about "adaptation" - You have a really good imagination if you can imagine a scenario where there was nothing and then there was something . . . what would have caused something?

And why are you so angry?
That was never imagined by me or anyone. That's squarely a fundamental precept of creationism.

I'm not angry, I'm just flicking away an annoying insect. Cheap, quick entertainment on a Thursday night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top