Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 03:02 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,791 times

Advertisements

A comment made earlier today by a co-worker of mine sorta baffled me, and thus prompted me to ask you guys what you think.
It was about Ouija boards. Personally I always considered them to be no more than a mildly entertaining albeit meaningless board game, mostly for kids. And that's the only time I played it: once or twice as a kid.
But this friend of mine at work: he's college-educated and is basically a pragmatic sort of person, he isn't overly religious, and he's not a conspiracy nut. I'm even pretty sure his college degree is an a hard science field.
Anyway, when the person he was talking to mentioned her kids playing with a Oija board, my friend became pretty agitated, and adamantly stated that he'd never, ever let his kids play with one, as he felt that the boards "invited malevolent spirits & demons" into the users' world.
The funny thing here is, that in the past I've known several other seemingly skeptical and rational people make an exception in their stoic thinking when regarding Ouija boards. So what say you? Are you likeminded with me: that it's just a box of cardboard and plastic, or do these things actually serve as some sort of portal for our spirit friends to slip into?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
It's not the board, it's the energy focused on it by the people using it. It gives whatever's behind the energy being channeled a medium through which to express itself, and that can potentially be dangerous, if you believe in that sort of thing.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 AM

313 posts, read 450,394 times
I "played" around with an Ouija Board with a friend when I was 13, and so much creepiness surrounded that "game" that I've refused to touch one ever since. And my friend got rid of his shortly after.

I think it does utilize energy as the above poster wrote. But that energy provides answers, not gibberish, and that is enough to convince me that it isn't just cardboard and plastic.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
In my experience, a ouija board offers as many insights into life as does a checker board, a billboard or a wash board. I suspect that there are those who will see a pattern where none exists.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 AM

588 posts, read 1,014,714 times
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people actually buy into this nonsense too. Come on, people!!! It's made by freaking Hasbro!!!

Yeah I played it too when I was a kid and it freaked me out. Then I realized it was all in my head.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people actually buy into this nonsense too. Come on, people!!! It's made by freaking Hasbro!!!
Yes, and as everybody knows, you can rearrange the letters in "Hasbro" to come up with "Roshab," which sounds both Biblical and ominous, and therefore should serve as a warning.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
I cannot work the board alone. I never could which has always been a curiousity for me. I've watched others who could. One of the funniest things that happened was a reply from a Stagecoach robber from the 1800s. I was foolish eough to ask why he robbed? "The reply was "I like to eat."

Old 02-22-2011, 04:54 PM

13 posts, read 26,658 times
I consider myself a practical person, but I would never play with a ouija board. I believe that in most cases, it's just a harmless game, but it can also be an invitation to malevolent spirits, demons, etc. I have known a couple of people who have had negative experiences with it as teenagers/young adults that went beyond the actual board game, and none of them will go anywhere near one now.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Default Masks

I'm a world traveler and one of (many!) things I collect is masks. Usually they are carved out of wood or made from papier-mache ... and some in my collection are from places like Guatemala, Peru, Brazil, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, etc.

Admittedly some of my masks are grotesque or fiendish looking ... but I consider them an example of folk art. One of my favorites is used in the traditional Siamese Ramakein Khon classical opera/ballet of a crowned demon called Yakha.

Anyway, once a lady visited my home and I showed her some of my masks and she freaked out! She said they were demonic and devilish things! I should never put one on are even hold it up to my face ... I might get possessed! Under no circumstances should I hang them on the wall, where they might come alive at night!

Can you believe that there are people who appear to be normal and rational and yet hold on to such superstitions??? Yikes!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Can you believe that there are people who appear to be normal and rational and yet hold on to such superstitions??? Yikes!
Like buildings that don't have a 13th floor, or refusing to step on a crack? Oh, wait, gotta run--someone just broke a mirror, and there's a black cat walking around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal