U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-30-2011, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Florida
21,127 posts, read 22,136,580 times
Reputation: 25631

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
One does not have to be in a "special place" to do recording.
It can be done anywhere that is quiet, and away from outside distraction.
I suggested the same thing a few post back, but for sure that idea fell on deft ears.
These people don't want to accept anything they don't understand, and are more than willing to chalk it up to fantasy of some kind, rather than explore the possibilities they too could be a part of the community that for years have had successful experiments in evp.
They want no part of it because they believe it isn't real.
Bob.

I have never experienced in the smallest way,somnambulism, nor known anyone personally that has.
I don't have to go out and find subjects to do tests on in order to prove it to myself. I just can believe it because so many others have done the legwork in completely legitimate and verifiable ways.They have published and had reviewed all their studies and had them accepted.

EVP has been around for many years with lots of people involved.
That none of them can provide the same sort of verifiable 'proof' as mentioned above.
If it was possible, it would have been done, we could research it and none of us would question it.
Why would we bother wasting our time on it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2011, 02:04 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 25,656,225 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I have never experienced in the smallest way,somnambulism, nor known anyone personally that has.
I don't have to go out and find subjects to do tests on in order to prove it to myself. I just can believe it because so many others have done the legwork in completely legitimate and verifiable ways.They have published and had reviewed all their studies and had them accepted.

EVP has been around for many years with lots of people involved.
That none of them can provide the same sort of verifiable 'proof' as mentioned above.
If it was possible, it would have been done, we could research it and none of us would question it.
Why would we bother wasting our time on it?
What are you afraid of?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 PM
 
25,736 posts, read 27,313,870 times
Reputation: 24473
I believe so-termed paranormal activity does in fact occur. I doubt it occurs as frequently as is reported since the human imagination tends to run wild. But yes, the unexplainable does happen. Eventually we will uncover what's causing this or that paranormal occurrence, just as we eventually uncovered that the night ethers didn't cause the bubonic plague but rather, tiny tiny critters we could actually see using a special scientific device to visually enlarge them.

I definitely do think "weird, freaky" (by current definition) things happen and in fact I love to hear about it and see certain shows, etc. Exciting and very cool. Then again the sun "going down" every day was exciting and cool at one point, when people didn't know if it literally disappeared, what made it change color, etc.

I don't believe "paranormal" activity as we generally define it is unnatural at all and I think we have miles and miles and miles to go before we understand even a fraction more of what happens around us than we knew 100 or 200 or 1000 years ago. As time goes on we'll learn more and more; this is the way of the world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Florida
21,127 posts, read 22,136,580 times
Reputation: 25631
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
What are you afraid of?
Oooooooooh..I'm afraid of ghosts and goblins and the dead and zombies!!!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 04:32 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 25,656,225 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Oooooooooh..I'm afraid of ghosts and goblins and the dead and zombies!!!

No..... afraid you may be wrong. What a blow to your ego and all those false beliefs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 04:18 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,657,106 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Ever considered putting it to the test on your own? Try doing an EVP session in a few different locations.
Perhaps a location known for spirits or contact with someone deceased to whom you were close.
You would be surprised if you knew just how many claims from people I have put to the test on my own and not got a single positive result. From EVP to those that think that saying latin at crackers makes them literally change physically.

So to answer your question: Been there done that.

However it is worth noting that giving the sheer number of claims people make in this world no one person has time to put ALL of them to the test oneself. I do my best but it is just a drop in the ocean.

Therefore I usually limit myself to only claims that have SOME reason to lend them credence and put time into testing. These days, when claims like EVP come before me with NO EVIDENCE at all except some guy making up stories about people he imagines coming to his living room and agreeing with him.... I do not waste time testing the claims myself.

There are enough claims with at least SOME reasons to lend them credence and my time is better spent researching those. There is enough of those to keep me busy for several life times.

Just as soon as someone comes up for some actual evidence, not made up and unverifiable anecdote, for EVP, I will of course do some more testing of my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
The argument is circular and going no where. If you've read one of his long winded posts, you've read them all. Pretty repetative and rather condescending.
At least I am taking the time to reply to people and explain why their positions are fallacious. Youre the one being dismissive, insulting and resorting to ad hominem invective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
What are you afraid of?
Not much, just we do not pander to people who go around lying and selling entirely unsubstantiated claims that are literally based on nothing and then act like the people who do not accept those ideas are somehow the ones at fault instead of the ones that are just making stuff up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 04:23 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,657,106 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
One does not have to be in a "special place" to do recording.
It can be done anywhere that is quiet, and away from outside distraction.
I suggested the same thing a few post back, but for sure that idea fell on deft ears.
Not at all as this I very much agree with. Given the human ability to see patterns that are not there in random noise or images, it really should not matter WHERE you do the recordings. Random noise is random noise no matter where you record it and the human ability to find faint voices in it will not be affected by location.

But of course the closer you do your experiments to broadcasting sources or those using wireless communication, the more likely you are to pick up those signals and get "interference" which will of course mean you will hear very faint human voices in the white noise.... because you have managed to capture a radio show or walkie talkie conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
These people don't want to accept anything they don't understand
False. "These people" are just not willing to accept anything that is entirely unsubstantiated, which your claims are. Cop out comments like this are just ad hominem designed to attack the person who is not accepting your claims for no other reason than you are making claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
and are more than willing to chalk it up to fantasy of some kind, rather than explore the possibilities
False again and very obviously so as I have listed MANY possibilities on the thread. You are the one not willing to explore them as you have already decided what the explanation is, despite not having a shred of evidence FOR that explanation. You dismiss other possibilities because they counter the one you WANT it to be. That truely is close minded.

Being open minded is to not accept ANY of the possibilities until given sufficient reason to do so. Open minded is not accepting the wildest most unsubstantiated possibility and running with it, dismissing the rest.

Again this is just cop out comments from you designed to attack the people who do not believe you because you have no evidence or arguments to make them believe you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 AM
 
21,636 posts, read 19,416,135 times
Reputation: 12215
EVP I just dismiss 90% of it as too easy to fake, the same as most photographic evidence. I guess if I heard it first hand, recorded by me, I would feel differently. But I would doubt I could convince anyone else of its legitimacy. SOME evidence I give some credence to, like on SCI FI with TAPS. But if I hear it on Coast to Coast AM with George Noori, its back to the 90% likelihood of it being bunk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 11:02 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 25,656,225 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
You would be surprised if you knew just how many claims from people I have put to the test on my own and not got a single positive result. From EVP to those that think that saying latin at crackers makes them literally change physically.

.
Been there done that doesn't apply to you.

My post said nothing about claims of another. Thank you, You've proved my point once more...... circular responses.

Ever considered putting it to the test on your own? Try doing an EVP session in a few different locations.

Perhaps a location known for spirits or contact with someone deceased to whom you were close.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,657,106 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Been there done that doesn't apply to you.
Lovely. So when you say I should check it myself, but I get a negative result, it "does not apply". Had I checked it and got a positive result you would have been all happy. And you call ME circular? This is comical.

Basically you are openly admitting you will accept anecdote that fits your preconceptions and reject anecdote that does not. This is not honest son, try harder.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top