U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 25,683,038 times
Reputation: 18083

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I am not sure WHO you are paraphrasing here as you conveniently left that out, but I think you are misrepresenting wildly what many people here are saying.


Refer to your posts for the answers. Pitbulls have trouble letting go too.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,661,609 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Refer to your posts for the answers. Pitbulls have trouble letting go too.
I am well aware of what my own posts say thank you. Nothing in my posts matches the "paraphrasing" that the user is engaged in. If he is claiming he is basing his "paraphrasing" on my posts then it is a straw man he has create not a paraphrase. And my post #120 explains exactly why.

If this is your reply then all I can do is repeat to you what I already said to you in post #119.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2011, 11:22 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 25,683,038 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I am well aware of what my own posts say thank you. Nothing in my posts matches the "paraphrasing" that the user is engaged in. If he is claiming he is basing his "paraphrasing" on my posts then it is a straw man he has create not a paraphrase. And my post #120 explains exactly why.

If this is your reply then all I can do is repeat to you what I already said to you in post #119.
Don't split hairs....we all get the jist of your posts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 01:46 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,661,609 times
Reputation: 2979
Then reply to them. I am not sure what this campaign of ad hominem and cop outs and pointless comments about pitbulls is all about about.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 17,443,022 times
Reputation: 8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
EVP I just dismiss 90% of it as too easy to fake, the same as most photographic evidence. I guess if I heard it first hand, recorded by me, I would feel differently. But I would doubt I could convince anyone else of its legitimacy. SOME evidence I give some credence to, like on SCI FI with TAPS. But if I hear it on Coast to Coast AM with George Noori, its back to the 90% likelihood of it being bunk.
There are some who are self deluded and some who are just charlatans, but there are other people who seem of very sound mind and have no income coming in from paranormal claims - and I believe there are a lot of these people - these, I tend to believe. I have no doubt about the odd things that I have experienced.

I do agree with you about George Noory, though, I think the guy is a total quack. Probably not all his guests are, but the guy does not discriminate. He makes no attempt, ever that I had heard, of questioning the veracity or lack thereof, of guests. Frankly, I think the guy lacks the intelligence to do so. He is repetitive and patronizing and speaks to the lowest of his potential audience. He is obviously there just to make a fast buck while he can.

I think it is people like him who, in some minds, tar the entire field of the paranormal.
On the other hand, there are fraudulent clergy and even scientists have been known to play fast and loose with the truth occasionally.

Last edited by goldengrain; 12-07-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 17,443,022 times
Reputation: 8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
For those who've experienced paranormal activity that cannot otherwise be debunked, its real, not a tricky subject.

The real issue, this is a paranormal thread, if you don't believe state your thoughts and be on your way. For this reason those who would like to post experiences don't.....plain and simple.

There are many requesting administration open a paranormal new age type forum.

Should they grant the request, is this what we have to look forward too?

Thanks for adding your thoughts.

For posters interested in the paranormal, there's currently a thread in H&R.
I don't know. Are atheists allowed to poke fun at and ridicule Christians on the Christian thread?
I mean, there is a general Religious thread for debates between believers and non believers, I think.
Even though those believing in the Paranormal are not necessarily religious, there could be a new thread 'Spiritual and Paranormal' that is a subset of 'Religion and Philosophy' and the specific thread could be just for believers, perhaps?

Please, what is the H&R thread?

Last edited by goldengrain; 12-07-2011 at 02:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 25,683,038 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't know. Are atheists allowed to poke fun at and ridicule Christians on the Christian thread?
I mean, there is a general Religious thread for debates between believers and non believers, I think.
Even though those believing in the Paranormal are not necessarily religious, there could be a new thread 'Spiritual and Paranormal' that is a subset of 'Religion and Philosophy' and the specific thread could be just for believers, perhaps?

Please, what is the H&R thread?
Whether its allowed is not the issue. Would I go into an atheists thread and poke fun? No desire.

Each of us are entitled to our beliefs without ridicule or bombarded with negative posts.

I have no interest in the debates on these topics and know other posters who feel the same.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 17,443,022 times
Reputation: 8841
Ok, Thank you.
Hobbies and Recreation.
Thank you.
I still think we belong in the R&P area, where we could have a safe place in which to exchange ideas, the way the religious and non religious do.
I don't think that belief in the paranormal is a hobby. It seems more to be a conviction regarding phenomena found in the universe.
Many/some of us have had experiences without having actively pursued it, and certainly not as one would pursue a hobby.
I hope, if the powers that be give us a place, it is in a protected spot so we do not feel as though we have to battle with skeptics all the time. I don't blame them for their beliefs. If my experiences were as limited I would think the same way. In fact, I was once that way after leaving the fundie church that my folks had sent me to.

You, V, are a kind person.
My husband has read a few scholarly books on biblical times and how the books in the bible were actually written and how translations and language changes have twisted some meanings found there. Sometimes he cannot resist
getting into little tiffs with them. I find it hard to formulate a philosophy of life based on things written somewhere or things I have not experienced. There are some esoteric groups that have alternate belief systems that I cannot totally agree with for the same reason.

Last edited by goldengrain; 12-07-2011 at 06:04 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 25,683,038 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Ok, Thank you.
Hobbies and Recreation.
Thank you.
I still think we belong in the R&P area, where we could have a safe place in which to exchange ideas, the way the religious and non religious do.
I don't think that belief in the paranormal is a hobby.

You, V, are a kind person.
Its not a hobby, but no one bothers with the BS in that forum.

Oh, I don't know how kind I am, you must a have missed those posts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 04:29 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,661,609 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There are some who are self deluded and some who are just charlatans, but there are other people who seem of very sound mind and have no income coming in from paranormal claims - and I believe there are a lot of these people - these, I tend to believe. I have no doubt about the odd things that I have experienced.
Nor do I doubt them either. I have had some unexplained experiences in my life too. The problem is that an unexplained experience is just that. An unexplained experience.

The issue where communication breaks down between people like myself and people who want to tout woo... is that they want to use unexplained experiences as evidence for whatever brand of nonsense it is they are currently trying to sell. In essence they are essentially trying to tell you "Because it can not be explained..... it can be explained... and that explanation is <insert current claim here>".

And you can see on threads like this that people will insert every claim you can imagine from ghosts to Islam in that gap.

A strength AND a flaw in our species however is that we do not like not having answers for things. This is a strength because it drives many of us to seek those answers. It is a flaw however because often people will accept any woo answer going because to them AN answer is better than NO answer, no matter how ludicrous and unsubstantiated the answer is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Each of us are entitled to our beliefs without ridicule or bombarded with negative posts.
Not really. You are of course entitled to your beleifs, and the comical thing is that people like yourself who insist on pointing it out always seem to do so to people who never suggested otherwise.

However as soon as you espouse them, especially in a forum that is dedicated to discussion, it is open season and there is no reason why other people should not discuss, disagree with, ridicule, deconstruct and more those beliefs. By espousing them on a discussion forum you very much open them up to be discussed. Whinging when people then do so is not constructive.

I respect people, I do not respect ideas. If you find someone is ridiculing a person then by all means step in and deride that person, like your pointless pitbull comments for example. If however someone is attacking, deriding or ridiculing an IDEA... there is nothing wrong with that.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top