U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-10-2011, 03:03 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,689,382 times
Reputation: 3417

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
My point being we all have unexplained events in our life. the fact that something is unexplained is not proof it is supernatural or paranormal. It just means we have not found the explanation.

When encountering something that seems to be paranormal, do not assume it is unless all evidence points to a paranormal experience and no other explanation can be found.

Even when all things indicate a paranormal reason, never stop looking for a physical explanation.

While I believe paranormal and supernatural things do occur, I doubt if very many people will ever experience them. We need to have our first assumption be there is a logical, physical explanation.
Exactly.

I regret ever starting this thread tbh. Can't we just let it die down
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2011, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Upper St. Clair
659 posts, read 1,045,795 times
Reputation: 354
I really dont think anyone can prove this either way, and it could be a mixed bag of things going on as well...you know, you all could be right on some level here...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
6,925 posts, read 8,629,407 times
Reputation: 8687
As I said a few post back, if any one seems to think paranormal is a figment of one's imagination, one way to even the odds would be to get yourself a tape recorder, and experiment with EVP.
If you get positive results, then you shouldn't doubt it's existence.
If recording voices from beyond this presence works for thousands that are involved in it, then the odds are it would work for those who are a bit skeptic.
All you have to lose is time, if you don't get results.
You have nothing to loose, and more than likely will gain some insight as to why life is as it is.
Bob.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Upper St. Clair
659 posts, read 1,045,795 times
Reputation: 354
care to explain how to use the tape recorder?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2011, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
6,925 posts, read 8,629,407 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
care to explain how to use the tape recorder?
Actually it is relatively simple.
First off, if you have access to a reel to reel recorder, all the better.
These type of recorders allow you to adjust the recording volume,and play back in reverse, which is a big advantage over a standard cassette recorder.
Also you will need a microphone, and headset.
You can use a standard cassette recorder as well, which is what I have used over the years.
Presently I am looking to purchase a reel to reel recorder.
What you want to do, is try and time your recordings at a point where you are in relative quiet.
Keep outside noise interference as far away as possible.
When setting up to record, all you will need is an electrical source plugged in, and powered on.
This could be a radio, tv, computer, stereo receiver or tuner etc.
If using a tv, or radio as your source, make sure you have it tuned to a blank station that is not broadcasting.
Your recorder will not be connected to this device in any way, but it is necessary to have it in the same room that you are recording.
Start out with a new,, unused tape, regardless if it is reel to reel, or a cassette tape.
Once you are ready to record, there are some basic things that should be practiced before actually recording.
Among them are, you are entering a realm that few humans have had the opportunity to experience (although the numbers are steadily increasing over the years) and you may, under certain circumstances, not know exactly what to do, or say.
The more you experiment, the more easy it will be to deal with all situations.
This is not meant to frighten you, but just to give you a heads up to what you may expect.
It helps too know that like human beings, spirits come in two distinct characters, that being, good and bad.
Over the years, I have learned how to deal with both.
Before I start a recording session, I start with a small prayer, asking that I not only be successful in my efforts, but that good spirits will be those that I converse with, and the bad to be absent from my experiences.
Most of the time, but not always, this has been the case.
Now, assuming your electrical source is powered on, your tape recorder is on, and set to record, and you are wearing your headset, you can begin by stating your name.
State that you are recording, and would like any spirit to communicate with you.
Ask if any one is hearing you.
Ask three or four questions (slowly) then stop the tape, rewind, then play it back.
After asking a question, wait about 20 seconds before asking another, or repeating the one you asked.
This gives time for a response.
You will hear yourself asking the questions, and if there was a response, you will hear it through the headset.
Sometimes you may have to play the tape a few times to decipher what is said.
With practice, your hearing will adjust to the faint voices being picked up.
As you listen, the voices will be more clear than when you first heard them.
The best way I could describe these voices (in my own experience) is to imagine you are in a long corridor.
You are at one end, and the person you are talking to , is at the other end.
There is a echo in the voice as the person at the other end of the corridor speaks.
Perhaps with expensive recording equipment, the voices recorded are much clearer.
I used a small cassette recorder for my experiments.
If you decide to try recording, please post your experience so that we can all voice our opinions, and help you along the way.
If I had to describe this field of evp in one word, I would say, fantastic.
Bob.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,640,898 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
You replied to my post stating we're all entitled to our beliefs without negativity and ridicule. Your response, "Not really". I replied, 'blatantly obvious".
And as I said when I claimed your point was wrong you acted like it was blatantly obvious it was wrong. Any I responded with a LOT more than "not really" so stop ignoring the rest of my post as if it was not there. That helps nothing.

Again you are entitled to your beleifs and to keep repeating that all you want. No one is stopping you doing either. However having expoused them on a forum that is designed for discussion there is no onus on me whatsoever to not response.... regardless of whether my posts are positive or negative towards what you said.

If you insist on espousing unsubstantiated claims on a discussion forum then I will insist on responding to them negatively and adumbrating the counter arguments against those baseless points. That is, after all, how a discussion forum works and if you do not want your beliefs dissected and torpedoed... do not express them on one.

Nor is calling people disagreeing with you "intimidation tactics" going to change anything. Disagreement is just that. Invective like "intimidation tactics" is just obfuscating the points.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,640,898 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
I then headed back to my rented room to try to get some sleep cause I just completed an very stressful exam in order to graduate on time for my degree. I sat on the edge of my bed and I seen a hand reach out to me
So under a time of great stress you started seeing and hearing things. Very common actually, especially if you have some other undiagnosed medical condition which it could exacerbate. Evidence for things like what this thread is about... not so much.

What you will get however is people, as you already have had, trying to tell you what such an unexplained experience was or means. You have no explanation for it and so people will feel they can call it everything from "communication" to "God" as if your lack of explanation is warrant for them to insert and baseless theory they want.

As you saw without knowing a single piece of evidence, or anything else about you, Virode for example jumped straight in and declared that this is communication and verification of things beyond the life we know.

The fact you have other "visions" too suggests however this has a real cause, likely medical, and you should seek more advice on the subject from doctors and psychologists. It could be a symptom of something more serious and now is the time to find out not later. Do not let peoples magical and woo explanations delay you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 07:17 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,640,898 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
care to explain how to use the tape recorder?
The way it works essentially is you get as many people as you can to record random noise then try to find stuff in that noise that sounds a bit like human voices. Very easy to do as I already linked to a video showing how when meaningless noise is played at you, you can find words that are not there. The host on the video played a song backwards and people could hear the words he told them to find there even though the words were not really there.

Then what you do is collate the anecdotes of everyone who gets a "positive" result and negate the rest. Positive results in that much meaningless noise when combined with the human ability to hear words that are not actually there, will be common.

Then you come on to a forum or two and claim that you have evidence for this nonsense woo and suggest that all the skeptics try it themselves thus continuing the process of people searching massive quantities of random noise and eventually getting even more false positive results.

Some of them likely are even positive results of a sort. Note how it is always tapes... a magnetic medium... that they do this with. Not digital recording for example. The reason is that recording with magnetic medium makes it easier to capture... even faintly.... interference which might in fact actually contain human voices... like radio broadcasts and the like. Such things would not happen with digital media you see.

In short, it is a trick. There is no evidence of after lives or spirits, let alone evidence that they have chosen to communicate through tape recorders. There is a human tendency to find patterns in randomness, especially faces and voices and people touting this woo take advantage of that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
6,925 posts, read 8,629,407 times
Reputation: 8687
Instead of ridiculing something you have absolutely no background in, I think perhaps a slogan used by Fox news is appropriate here.
"Fair and Balanced".
I think it would be a great idea for those interested in this subject, to not take my word, or any one's word for these paranormal experiments regarding evp.
Try it yourself, and make up your own mind as too if it exist.
Bob.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 03:53 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,640,898 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Instead of ridiculing something you have absolutely no background in
First you do not know me, so you do not know what my background is. In fact if you even bothered to read the thread you will find I have engaged in this subject more than you think.

Second I am not just ridiculing it. I am showing exactly why it is unsubstantiated and baseless and I am explaining the aspects of the human condition which can lead you to thinking it is true even when it is not.

So to pretend I am just ridiculing it is to stick your fingers in your ears, go "la la la la la" and ignore everything I am actually saying on the subject.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top