Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I have thought about that too. But I have moved 3 times before and this is the first time these things are happening.
Could be that the new place has excess radiation (such as electro-magnetic) that is contributing to the perceptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
LindavG
I wasn't kidding either. It was an eartquake
But, I will tell you that I've begun to be concerned about "old age" sometimes because I have had very similar things happen.....worst is when things are right where you looked and there they are, in plain sight!
I just write it off as inattention at the time,memory blips or...or...who the hell knows.
As long as it isn't a constant thing don't worry about it.
If it starts happening all the time, come back and let us know.(Not to just your older mom, but you too)
Some definitions that may help:

Inattention; You just set your car keys down and did not notice where you set them

Poor Memory: You forgot where you parked your car

Alzheimers: You are walking around the parking lot with your car keys in your hand, but don't remember owning a car.

For most of us these mysterious disappearances and moving objects is often the result of inattention. We become creatures of habit. when we get distracted by anything we may set something in a place we normally don't and did not pay attention to where we set it. Later when we go to get it, it is not where we expect it to be, but suddenly we find it in a place we feel it could not have been.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I have had a few strange things happen in my lifetime. I am more prone to believe what I experience rather than myth. So my experiences have lead me to believe that we have a continuity after death but as no god has ever spoken to me and most religious teachings do not jibe with history I do not believe in a god. If it does exist it is not the personality that religions give it.

My dad died. I lived in a house he had never seen. Things started disappearing and reappearing, the fan over the stove when off and on. The sliding doors onto the patio opened and shut, etc, etc. One night I 'saw' him in a dream. He said if I ever needed him to call and he'd never before been with such a fine group of people. After that all these odd things stopped. He was a practical joker and I think he wanted to reassure me that life continues.

I have known people to whom such things have happened. I have never met one who thought the entity was hostile. That is the stuff you read about in books and I think it must be exceedingly rare.

Did anyone close to you die recently? Anyway, I would just tolerate it, and go on with life so long as it's not becoming an escalating problem for you.

I am sorry that I cannot be of more help, but just because it is not scientifically defined does not mean you should go running into the arms of some religion, in my opinion.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:34 AM

104 posts, read 104,628 times
Many people have had supernatural things happen to them, but they are often unwilling to share, because they think people will laugh at them. My own son, has had his electronic organiser lift itself off the coffee table, in front of his girlfriend and himself, and do a circuit of the room before going back to the table.

If you understand:

1. That spirits exist
2. Some are jokers
3. How material effects can be made to occur, and items be relocated, or moved

then these things are not weird. In fact, they are rather fun.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have had a few strange things happen in my lifetime. I am more prone to believe what I experience rather than myth. So my experiences have lead me to believe that we have a continuity after death but as no god has ever spoken to me and most religious teachings do not jibe with history I do not believe in a god. If it does exist it is not the personality that religions give it.

My dad died. I lived in a house he had never seen. Things started disappearing and reappearing, the fan over the stove when off and on. The sliding doors onto the patio opened and shut, etc, etc. One night I 'saw' him in a dream. He said if I ever needed him to call and he'd never before been with such a fine group of people. After that all these odd things stopped. He was a practical joker and I think he wanted to reassure me that life continues.

I have known people to whom such things have happened. I have never met one who thought the entity was hostile. That is the stuff you read about in books and I think it must be exceedingly rare.

Did anyone close to you die recently? Anyway, I would just tolerate it, and go on with life so long as it's not becoming an escalating problem for you.

I am sorry that I cannot be of more help, but just because it is not scientifically defined does not mean you should go running into the arms of some religion, in my opinion.
I'm sorry, I forgot I opened this thread.

Nobody close to me died recently, I have only ever lost one relative in my lifetime and that was my grandfather in 2007.

I don't believe in religion and I am agnostic when it comes to the existence of God (although I do not believe in an anthropomorphic God), so it's hard for me to place these experiences. I know it was not a case of inattention, this is different although it's hard to explain to others. Then again, I don't really believe in the paranormal and I can't imagine "ghosts" or "spirits" moving these things around, that's the kind of stuff you see in movies.

I don't know, it's very frustrating and confusing. Some things in life you just can't explain, I guess.

Like you, I don't interpret these experiences as evidence of God. I only see it as an affirmation that humans do not have an answer to everything and there may be something beyond our comprehension.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:42 AM

307 posts, read 269,373 times
Can you afford to have some kind of security cameras or webcams installed in the rooms where this stuff happens? It may help you get to the truth, and they aren't as expensive as they used to be.
If the items continue to disappear and reappear, you'll catch it on film.
Or if it happens and you watch the film back, you might, hypothetically, see that it never disappeared at all and you somehow just overlooked the items somehow.
Or it might stop altogether (IMO, supernatural events must have some sort of purposeful mind behind them, and this thing might not like to have its actions filmed, so if something is truly happening, it may stop rather than avoid being filmed).

I tend to look for mundane explanations first for this kind of stuff, and the mundane explanation here is that you were looking in the wrong place or just didn't see it. One time at work, I was looking for my letter opener and couldn't find it, only to realize it was right out in the open and somehow my eyes just missed it. It wasn't that it disappeared and reappeared, because I would have seen that happen. My eyes just wandered over it somehow without recognizing it or something.

But I believe that mundane explanations, while they should be the first thing we go to, don't always explain the facts best. It's largely a matter of one's attitude. I think that a hardcore skeptic who refuses to acknowledge anything supernatural will always rule out the supernatural explanations off the bat, no matter how unlikely the mundane explanations are. They'll go with the old Sherlock Holmes adage that once all other explanations are ruled out, whatever explanation is left, no matter how unlikely, is the truth. Thus no matter how unlikely the mundane explanation, it's got to be the truth, since it just can't be anything supernatural. But people who are less skeptical won't rule out supernatural explanations off the bat but will, while probably acknowledging their unlikeliness in general, weigh it against the unlikeliness of the mundane explanation in this particular instance. Some non-skeptics will go with the supernatural explanation quicker than others will. I'm personally about 50/50 in your case, for what it's worth.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:16 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post

Yes, that would be the most logical explanation. But that is not the case here. For example, my mother took her wallet to go grocery shopping, then she realized she had to go to the toilet first so she put her wallet on the table. Then it disappeared and reappeared on the night stand next to her bed the next day. It doesn't make any sense that my mother would put the wallet there herself; why on earth would she walk all the way upstairs to put her wallet on her night stand, then walk down again to go to the toilet, and a few minutes later forget that she went upstairs? About the scissors, sure it's possible that we accidentaly put the scissors in a different drawer. The thing is: we checked all the drawers and double-checked the one where the scissors reappeared (as that is where we usually put it) but it wasn't there. Then later when we checked again it was right on top at the very front of the drawer, impossible to miss.

(
I'm guessing that she never picked up her wallet to begin with.

She was acting on habit as she was preparing to leave the house, doing what she always does - she probably turned off the lights and the t.v., she grabbed her house/car keys and her next step would have been to get her wallet but that train of thought was interrupted by her trip to the bathroom. She never actually made it upstairs to get her wallet. When she came out of the bathroom, she saw her car keys laying on the table but no wallet. She had the very clear memory of laying the wallet on that table not because she had actually done so this time, but because she had laid her wallet on that table on so many other past occasions - it was her habit to do so.

As for the scissors, they possibly got jammed into the top of the drawer - so when you opened the drawer, you didn't see them. When you closed the drawer, they dislodged. When you opened the drawer again there they were - Ta Da! - as if by magic.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:37 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_in_Aus View Post
Many people have had supernatural things happen to them, but they are often unwilling to share, because they think people will laugh at them. My own son, has had his electronic organiser lift itself off the coffee table, in front of his girlfriend and himself, and do a circuit of the room before going back to the table.

If you understand:

1. That spirits exist
2. Some are jokers
3. How material effects can be made to occur, and items be relocated, or moved

then these things are not weird. In fact, they are rather fun.
I agree. People witness strange occurrences and get freaked out, but sometimes it is just a joke being played on them. Sometimes the entity behind such things is just having some lighthearted fun.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:52 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Put some things on the dining room table, and set up a video camera.

Leave the house for a few hours, or for the weekend, or just let it run all day and night.

See what happens.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
I find it amusing that there are people on this thread who will jump at any opportunity to automatically assign this a "supernatural event" full of ghosts, ghouls, angels and other half-cocked ideas one might find on The Travel Channel after 11 P.M. EST.

It just boggles my mind that these people simply cannot fathom any other explanation at all. And, as for the OP... Keep looking for ghosts and you will convince yourself you've found them.

I too find it comical that these ghosts are also apparently kleptomaniacs who have a compulsion to steal one's belongings only to put them in their proper spot later. So, let's look at this in a little more skeptical light, shall we... Although I hate to ruin everyone's good time thinking there's a possibility that any moment now Slimer or the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man will make an appearance.

The first thing I noticed was the OP described a recent move. For anybody whose moved, we all know the burdens and stresses that can preoccupy the mind with. You have boxes and boxes of things scattered all over the house, there's paperwork, lawyers, closings, moving companies, money, changing your mail address, new environments, etc... Every single one of these things has a stress level of some sort. For some people, they handle it more easily than others. At the worst, this sort of stress can be debilitating for some and at best can just be a nuisance and "one more thing I have to do on an already full plate" for others.

Though I'm a male, I've been told by many middle-aged women that they react to stress in a way that resembles early onset dimentia. You swear you put something down somewhere and come to find out it wasn't there. I have a friend of mine who doesn't seem to pay attention to a single thing I say despite me having told her the same answer 10 million times.

There are a lot of viable explanations for this. One of them is that stress (possibly from moving - or from other events as well) in some people behaves in a way where rather insignificant events are quickly forgotten. The brain can only worry about so much and so it may dump off the fact that your mother stopped in the bedroom for something, leaving her purse, before she went to the bathroom. The act of dropping something off in a bedroom is so insignificant (and consistent with the mundane acts of moving) that it doesn't surprise me how simply it could be forgotten.

The other thing is that your Mom could simply be a practical joker (the thing when you were younger in the attic screams of a parent's right to play a joke on their child). Hell, I dug a hole looking for buried treasure in the backyard when I was five or six. When I went to get a drink of water, I came back and there were dimes, nickels and quarters all over. I swore until I was eighteen years old that I'd found a buried treasure. That was, of course, until I casually mentioned it to one of my parents and they started laughing and explaining to me how they ran back there and threw it in the hole while I wasn't looking.

As well, it's not uncommon to notice a single out-of-the-ordinary event (such as the scissors) and to try and connect it with other seemingly tangible events. "The scissors went missing, then it was the purse, then it was my comb... They must all be related." Well, perhaps they are all related to a move where the ordinary often becomes chaotic, the stress of life diminishes the importance of everyday tasks we don't pay attention to and now every little thing that occurs, we must assign some meaning (ghosts) rather than a logical explanation.

Or, you could just assume you have ghosts, they are watching you pee (and shower), and they like to steal random inanimate objects because there's nothing better to do while haunting a group of people. Oh, and they always put these random inanimate objects in locations that a human could have easily put them.

When your purse disappears, isn't found for years and then one day you have a problem with the furnace only to find that your long-ago missing purse was stuck in the vent, then I might buy "very strange" a little better. But, nothing like that has happened, all the objects have ended up in perfectly explainable locations (many of them locations previously looked at) and absolutely nothing sounds truly odd about the situation other than the fact that you two are buying into this whole "ghouls and ghosts" thing right around a time of the year where it's most present on our conscious minds.... Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal