U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,811,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I find it amusing that there are people on this thread who will jump at any opportunity to automatically assign this a "supernatural event" full of ghosts, ghouls, angels and other half-cocked ideas one might find on The Travel Channel after 11 P.M. EST.

It just boggles my mind that these people simply cannot fathom any other explanation at all. And, as for the OP... Keep looking for ghosts and you will convince yourself you've found them.
I think I have stated multiple times that I don't believe in ghosts or supernatural events, which is exactly the reason why I started this thread.

Quote:
There are a lot of viable explanations for this. One of them is that stress (possibly from moving - or from other events as well) in some people behaves in a way where rather insignificant events are quickly forgotten. The brain can only worry about so much and so it may dump off the fact that your mother stopped in the bedroom for something, leaving her purse, before she went to the bathroom. The act of dropping something off in a bedroom is so insignificant (and consistent with the mundane acts of moving) that it doesn't surprise me how simply it could be forgotten.
Yes, that would be the most logical explanation, I have thought of that as well. Still, I find it hard to believe. Take my mom's wallet for example, she never leaves it in her bedroom yet that's where she found it. IDK, it's hard to explain when you haven't experienced it yourself. That doesn't mean it must be supernatural, as I said I don't really believe that myself.

I kinda regret starting this thread now because it makes me sound crazy and paranoid. I think there are much more people experiencing similar things as me but they don't speak about it for fear of being ridiculed.

Quote:
The other thing is that your Mom could simply be a practical joker (the thing when you were younger in the attic screams of a parent's right to play a joke on their child).
That is absolutely out of the question. You clearly haven't met my mom

Quote:
When your purse disappears, isn't found for years and then one day you have a problem with the furnace only to find that your long-ago missing purse was stuck in the vent, then I might buy "very strange" a little better. But, nothing like that has happened, all the objects have ended up in perfectly explainable locations (many of them locations previously looked at) and absolutely nothing sounds truly odd about the situation other than the fact that you two are buying into this whole "ghouls and ghosts" thing right around a time of the year where it's most present on our conscious minds.... Halloween.
I already posted this thread back in August and we don't celebrate Halloween where I'm from
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 AM

7,801 posts, read 5,802,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
So, the fact that I'm even pondering the possibility of paranormal activity says a lot
Not really. Not as much as you think at least. NOT pondering these things would require simply not being human I sometimes feel and we all ponder them at one time or another.

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago my mother moved into a new house and since then, a lot of strange things have happened. Objects keep on disappearing and reappearing again with no logical explanation.
However on the note of the supernatural and paranormal I would very much advise you to watch this video here. All of it if possible but I strongly recommend at least watching the first 2 minutes and 50 seconds.

I would certainly not use things going missing as evidence for the paranormal at all. People misplace things all the time, and forget things all the time. The personal testimony of "I swear I put it in that drawer" is literally worthless.

As for not finding it, you should read up on the concept of "hiding in plain sight". In fact one of the best ways to hide something is to put it in plain sight because people expect it to be hard to find. Many articles, studies and experiments have been done on this. One of the most famous of which is a great video on you tube for selective attention. Try it and see how close to the right number you can get, no matter how closely you watch the ball.

In fact the things we often find the hardest to find, even when they are in plain sight, are things that we are used to being in one particular place 99% of the time. The reasons for this are that we are very much used to seeing the item in a certain context, so when the item is in a new context... such as on a bedside dresser rather than its normal place on a table.... even if it is in plain sight... it effectively becomes invisible to our "selective attention" due to the context change.

I myself tried this by playing a game of "hide the diamond". I had a fake diamond and had 10 people search my apartment for it. They opened drawers, looked under sofas, behind things.... much more. They could not find it. It was in fact standing in the center of an other wise empty table in the middle of my living room... in plain sight. You can try this yourself sometime.

Also quite often we are prone to doing things on auto pilot and forgetting them because we are THAT used to doing them. So for example a comb that is normally in a purse and goes "missing"... you might look for it then give up. Then without thinking later you see it, pick it up, maybe even use it, and place it in your purse. You have done this so often before it does not even register. But later when you find the comb there... you are shocked. I have seen it happen myself by sheer luck when my mum similarly lost a comb. She decided to leave without it in the end, picked up her hand bag, picked up the comb that was actually underneath the handbag, put it in the bag and walked out the door. Later on she, like you, was shocked that the comb had miraculously appeared in her bag again!!! She simply had no recollection of her auto pilot response of seeing the comb and packing it as she has done it 10000 times before.

So yes there are a WEALTH of possible explanations for your experiences, and yes many of us myself included have had them too. However as the first 2:50 of that video I linked to will show asking random strangers on the internet, with no independent access to the events, for possible explanations is about as useful as asking a random stranger in Kenya for a description of a murder leaving a crime scene in New York. Had I not seen my mum literally put the comb into the bag... I too would have had no explanation for it's "magical" appearance later on.

What to watch out for however is those people who will use the unexplained as evidence for whatever neurotic thought that comes careening into their heads. They will act like your inability to explain something is somehow evidence for their claims. Already you have one person on this thread spout Islam at you, and another suggesting you have ghosts which you should now engage in attempting to contact. Baseless and often dangerous ideas brought to you on the back of nothing more than you being confused about some simple events. The purveyors of woo, lies and trickery will use anything they can to get a foot in your metaphorical door.

Last edited by Nozzferrahhtoo; 10-25-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 PM

285 posts, read 277,325 times
I have heard of some common and old people ,demons can replace the things in some houses also what you have heard may be from demons , they can talk and even appear to some persons and I hope you don't see them because the most of them are not so beautiful ! .....and I say (seriously ) be careful about them especially at nighttime , they are existing.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,748,605 times
I have seen neither demons nor gods, but I have sometimes been privileged to see family members and friends who have passed.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:13 AM

7,433 posts, read 9,121,795 times
Among we humans, there are many who do not believe in the paranormal.
Then on the other hand, those who have experienced it, feel it exist.
Then there are some of us who have undeniable proof of it's existence.
Paranormal can take on many different aspects, it isn't just limited to materialism, as some have described in this thread.
It could be things that are felt, but unseen.
This brings too mind my own experiences soon after my partner passed nearly 20 years ago.
The first recollection I have was one evening as I was sitting in my living room , I was thinking of him, and tried "talking" to him.
The old "show me a sign" that you are present was all it took to realize he was indeed in the same room as I.
Two things happened that night that told me he was with me.
First, when I asked for a sign that he was here, immediately the hanging lamp in the corner of the room started to swing.
Not violently, but a steady six or so inch movement back and forth.
Then abruptly as it started, it stopped as though my hands were on it to stop it's movement.
I sat across the room from this hanging lamp, and knew it was the presence of my "J.R." giving me a sign that he was in the room.
All the windows and doors were closed in the house, so this could never be as a result of any breeze in the room.
A short time later, perhaps a minute or so, as I sat in the chair thinking, I felt hands on my face, gently squeezing my cheeks, then a slow methodical light touch to my forehead.
J.R., when he was living, always did that just before shutting off the lights when we were in bed.
I did not dream this, I was fully awake.
Two other things that happened were months later.
One night I was returning from the grocery store, and as I was driving, the auto door locks popped up and down, and the courtesy lights came on.
When I stopped at a traffic light,once again, the door locks popped up, and the passenger side door opened half way by itself.
I felt it was J.R. all along because those things just don't happen like that.
I closed it, and continued home.
At another time, while at his grave site, I sat there talking to him for what may have been an hour.
I remember it was a beautiful warm summer day, and I had remarked to myself how warm and tranquil it was at that spot.
I loved going to the cemetery.
It just made me feel closer to him.
On this day, as I sat next to his headstone, I again asked that he give me a sign that he was with me.
On many occasions I have heard his voice as we "spoke" to one another.
Without hesitation,on this day, I heard his words, "Bobby, feel the wind".
It had been an unusually calm day, with no wind at all, and I didn't understand the meaning.
Again he spoke, "the wind".
Suddenly as though one had flicked on a light switch, the wind picked up, and the force of it knocked over the empty can of soda I had brought with me.
This lasted maybe thirty seconds,and once again there was no wind, and completely calm, but it was there for me to experience.
Once again, though I had no idea how, J.R. had given me a sign.
Later, in one of my recording sessions (I will explain that in another thread)
I asked if he had done those things, and the answer was yes to all of them.
So yes, paranormal is real.
It is We who don't always understand the circumstances of it's being, but know for sure it is real.
I am involved in the after life to the extent I have a clear an unobstructed view of what we can expect when we leave this earth.
At the onset of my interest in the after life,(many years now) I have gained knowledge, and understanding that few can attest too.
A couple of things I can tell you for sure is, I do not fear death, and many of the things that one sees here in this life , things we don't seem to be able to understand, are comprehensible to the spirits, and on occasion, we mortals are privy to understanding some of them.
Many see things, and ask why , why is that?
I feel I am very fortunate in knowing the reasons for many of those "Why's"., and it is only through my devotion to learning what happens to us when we leave this earth, that a clearer understanding is there.
This subject of paranormal behavior, and the after life is fascinating, and I would hope we could expand our interest of them on this forum.
Bob.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:18 AM

7,801 posts, read 5,802,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
You do? Present it so. I have not seen any. Saying you have it is not the same as showing you have it. We can all SAY we have proof for our claims. That is as easy as typing a few words.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 AM

250 posts, read 378,729 times
Quote:
That's interesting, I have never heard about Jinn before.

Believe me, I have tried to look for a physical explanation. But what could it be? The wind or shifting foundations might explain how objects can move a little bit but it doesn't explain how a wallet can be on the living room table one day and the night stand upstairs the next day without anyone touching it.

I've had Jinn before... taste good with 7-up

Old 11-18-2011, 04:37 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,748,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Among we humans, there are many who do not believe in the paranormal.
Then on the other hand, those who have experienced it, feel it exist.
Paranormal can take on many different aspects, it isn't just limited to materialism, as some have described in this thread.
It could be things that are felt, but unseen.
This brings too mind my own experiences soon after my partner passed nearly 20 years ago.
The first recollection I have was one evening as I was sitting in my living room , I was thinking of him, and tried "talking" to him.
The old "show me a sign" that you are present was all it took to realize he was indeed in the same room as I.
Two things happened that night that told me he was with me.
First, when I asked for a sign that he was here, immediately the hanging lamp in the corner of the room started to swing.
Not violently, but a steady six or so inch movement back and forth.
Then abruptly as it started, it stopped as though my hands were on it to stop it's movement.
I sat across the room from this hanging lamp, and knew it was the presence of my "J.R." giving me a sign that he was in the room.
All the windows and doors were closed in the house, so this could never be as a result of any breeze in the room.
A short time later, perhaps a minute or so, as I sat in the chair thinking, I felt hands on my face, gently squeezing my cheeks, then a slow methodical light touch to my forehead.
J.R., when he was living, always did that just before shutting off the lights when we were in bed.
I did not dream this, I was fully awake.
Two other things that happened were months later.
One night I was returning from the grocery store, and as I was driving, the auto door locks popped up and down, and the courtesy lights came on.
When I stopped at a traffic light,once again, the door locks popped up, and the passenger side door opened half way by itself.
I felt it was J.R. all along because those things just don't happen like that.
I closed it, and continued home.
At another time, while at his grave site, I sat there talking to him for what may have been an hour.
I remember it was a beautiful warm summer day, and I had remarked to myself how warm and tranquil it was at that spot.
I loved going to the cemetery.
It just made me feel closer to him.
On this day, as I sat next to his headstone, I again asked that he give me a sign that he was with me.
On many occasions I have heard his voice as we "spoke" to one another.
Without hesitation,on this day, I heard his words, "Bobby, feel the wind".
It had been an unusually calm day, with no wind at all, and I didn't understand the meaning.
Again he spoke, "the wind".
Suddenly as though one had flicked on a light switch, the wind picked up, and the force of it knocked over the empty can of soda I had brought with me.
This lasted maybe thirty seconds,and once again there was no wind, and completely calm, but it was there for me to experience.
Once again, though I had no idea how, J.R. had given me a sign.
Later, in one of my recording sessions (I will explain that in another thread)
I asked if he had done those things, and the answer was yes to all of them.
So yes, paranormal is real.
It is We who don't always understand the circumstances of it's being, but know for sure it is real.
I am involved in the after life to the extent I have a clear an unobstructed view of what we can expect when we leave this earth.
At the onset of my interest in the after life,(many years now) I have gained knowledge, and understanding that few can attest too.
A couple of things I can tell you for sure is, I do not fear death, and many of the things that one sees here in this life , things we don't seem to be able to understand, are comprehensible to the spirits, and on occasion, we mortals are privy to understanding some of them.
Many see things, and ask why , why is that?
I feel I am very fortunate in knowing the reasons for many of those "Why's"., and it is only through my devotion to learning what happens to us when we leave this earth, that a clearer understanding is there.
This subject of paranormal behavior, and the after life is fascinating, and I would hope we could expand our interest of them on this forum.
Bob.
My eyes were not dry after reading this touching story.

I though people on the other side dropped off the maladies that they suffered through on this earth, but an odd thing happened to me.

I, about to sleep, on two occasions, got the creeps when I heard a voice, 'soon we will be together'. The second time the presence really felt ugly, but I got a tap on the shoulder and heard 'get away from her' and the tap left me with a very elevating positive energy. That was the last of the depressing presence.

I subsequently found out that a guy I had dated in high school - we had been quite serious at the time, but it did not work out - had just passed. I found out that during his life he had had emotional problems so much so that he could not get on with co workers and was fired from several jobs. He had kept some of my old letters.

I am sad to learn that he still seems, after death, to be a sad person. I guess it's some sort of karma that is unresolved.

Do you, or does anyone have any input on this?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 5,373,287 times
If they have any effect in our common world, empiricism (the Agnostic Spirit of Science) will reveal them.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 PM

7,433 posts, read 9,121,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
You do? Present it so. I have not seen any. Saying you have it is not the same as showing you have it. We can all SAY we have proof for our claims. That is as easy as typing a few words.
In the post above, I briefly mentioned recording sessions.
These recording sessions were done with cassette tapes.
I saved many of them over the years, and still have most, but not all, in my collection.
I am not that computer savy to know how I would take a standard cassette tape, and download it to my computer.
Also, I don't know how I would compensate the sound clarity of the tape to be able to hear it on the computer.
When these tapes are produced in a recording session, the person doing the taping, has to wear a headset in order to hear the voices.
Once the tape is completed, the sound of the voice coming from beyond, is only audible with a headset.
The best way I can describe the voices from beyond would be to imagine you are in a very long hallway, and you are at one end, and another person at the other .
The voice is somewhat "hollow" and sound like an echo.
This is very much like the voices I have been able to record.
More often than not, the tape must be played back many times to pick up what is being said.
I tried turning up the volume to it's maximum level on the recorder at playback, and only my voice asking the questions can be heard.
Once the headset is connected, the voice from beyond can be heard, though faint.
Now, on the sightings television show where Ms Estep demonstrated her works, she was hooked up to studio amplification equipment, and the voices were clearly heard.
I taped that sightings segment back when it aired, and because that tape is vhs, I can record it to cd, and put it on my computer, but I do not have a recorder that I could convert a cassette tape to a cd for downloading to my computer.
I am open to any suggestions as to how one can transfer a cassette tape on to a cd.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal