U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,672,938 times
Reputation: 2979

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Science is more often than not,nothing but unproven speculation.
And with that sentence you have shown how little you have to offer on the subject and how little you know. Why is it that anyone with entirely baseless claims, like yours, always have to have a go at science, merely because it gets in the way of what they want to invent, imagine and then espouse.

You simply have no evidence to back up the claims you are making. When asked for it you engage in backward somersaults to get out of having to present any. "Oh I have all this wonderful evidence, I just can not be arsed putting it on to the computer for you". Yea. Right.

I have been a Van Morrison fan since the age of 16 and I have 100 cassette tapes of audience recordings of his shows. I have put all of them into MP3 computer format. It is as easy as pie. Any tech savvy student can do it for you. If you actually had evidence of monumental import to the whole of humanity, you would not sit there allowing something mundane like that get in the way. You are just making excuses to get out of presenting something you claim you have, but do not actually have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Cassette tape players do not have a usb port to allow connection to a computer
Bull. You are just making excuses because you do not HAVE any evidence for your claims.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
7,082 posts, read 8,754,119 times
Reputation: 8840
I followed the link you posted, and this may be something I will try.
My knowledge of computers is limited, but I will look into this.
In the meantime, if you doubt evp is possible, again I would suggest you goggle Sarah Estep.
She was a pioneer in the field, and I challenge you to show that her experiments are false.
For some reason you don't want to see evp for what it is, but you are content to hide behind a rock and make all kinds of accusations as to it's validity.
Presently I can not offer you proof of my experiments, but I CAN offer Ms. Estep's proof, which is the same as mine.
I would like to view your opinions once you look at the work she has done in this field.
Bob.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 17,472,832 times
Reputation: 8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Paranormal experiences are actually quite common, and many have experienced them. You need not doubt your sanity. There are mischievous spirits that like to do the sorts of things you are experiencing. They also like to open locked doors and flush toilets in the night, turn lights on, etc.

Perhaps coincidentally, but likely not, people who have experienced such things in the past and then become believing Christians and received the Holy Spirit, have had such happenings cease completely.
And sometimes such manifestations are merely departed loved ones who want you to know that they have survived death, still love you, and are saying goodbye until you meet again.

Not everything 'paranormal' is of a negative nature. What is, is and both good and bad people pass over.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 17,472,832 times
Reputation: 8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Science is more often than not,nothing but unproven speculation.
Calguy,
thank you for your kind help.
That author looks very interesting. I would suspect that other religions also have their take on this phenomena and coach it in the dialog of their religion. I am kind of looking for answers that are not religion specific. It is my own difficulty, but I am not comfortable with the fundamentalist religion that I was reared in and shy away from 'Jesus' and 'Satan' scenarios. I think religions are loaded with dogma and are often in error.

To address your comment that science is often speculation - sometimes, yes and sometimes, no. The beauty of science as opposed to religion is that science is willing to change when proven wrong.

You may say that science is dogmatic and not really open to new evidence, but these days you have scientists theorizing that our entire universe may be built on a mathematical construct or that the universe may be a hologram-like projection of some sort.

I have read that, when a person passes, they seem to be met by representatives of the religion that they were a part of here, on earth. I can see that, especially if the universe were some sort of projection.

I remember reading the Seth books by Jane Roberts, and loved them. I think information that is channeled or gleaned through automatic writing can be from a plethora of sources on the other side, beings from all sorts of levels of understanding and many have not progressed much from the fundamental understandings that they had here, on earth/dense material realm. It is our responsibility to separate what makes sense to us from what does not.

However, the books you recommended appear to be classics, and I am interested in learning, so I ordered them. Thank you, again, for the recommendation and please do not allow the others on this forum to rattle you. We all, at the bottom of things, are trying to understand reality better. I think science, in the direction it is taking, will eventually come up against this phenomena. It's only a matter of time. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone, either.

Last edited by goldengrain; 11-22-2011 at 01:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
7,082 posts, read 8,754,119 times
Reputation: 8840
Golden, Thank you for your insight.
You are one wise person.
I know you will enjoy reading and learning from the books you have chosen.
For sure, I don't get rattled easy.
It would take a lot more than an internet troll to push my buttons.
That poster above that said I could not offer proof of what I say, is correct in one way.
Though I possess tapes of my experiments, unless they are posted here on this forum, they can't be heard by him,and he, or she will contend there is no proof.
In leiu of hearing my tapes, I offered that poster a way to review this subject of evp, and suggested he post his response after looking at the evidence.
We will just have to wait and see a response, and meanwhile I am going to look into the device that supposedly can convert cassette tapes to a mp3 format.
With the holidays approaching, money is a bit tight, so that may have to wait till the new year.
I have not tried recording for quite a while now.
As I stated in another post, one has to wear a headset to hear the voice response, and with age, my hearing is not what it use to be.
I may try once again, and see if I can make contact.
Bob.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
7,082 posts, read 8,754,119 times
Reputation: 8840
Estep Sarah
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 AM
 
7,801 posts, read 5,672,938 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
My knowledge of computers is limited, but I will look into this.
Clearly it is, but I repeat this is hardly an excuse. If one feels one is sitting on world changing and undeniable evidence for something a huge proportion of the world population have an interest in... one should not be sitting on ones behind making excuses... one should be out there finding someone to help get over what are essentially very basic and easily rectified limitations.

A simple walk to the local tech college to stick up a sign saying "WANTED: Help from tech savvy student to transfer audio from casette tape to Computer" would have long ago solved your problem. Or maybe your ability to use pen and paper is also limited??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
you are content to hide behind a rock and make all kinds of accusations as to it's validity.
Get over yourself. I hide behind nothing. I simply think that if one person makes a claim then they should provide their evidence for said claim. You made a claim, claimed you had the evidence, and then when asked to actually provide said evidence you engaged in a seriously poor effort to make excuses to not do so.

So do not pretend the problem is with me. When I make positive claims I always do so being sure I have some evidence, argument, data or reasons to back my position up in case I am asked. If you can not do so, then maybe think a little harder before speaking in future. You certainly are in no position to pretend the failing is with me when it is actually with you.

But I should expect as much. Usually when people make entirely unsubstantiated claims for which they have no supporting evidence... the first tactic from them is to pretend the person who does not accept their ideas is at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I would like to view your opinions once you look at the work she has done in this field.
I see nothing in anything I have read on the person to support the claims you are making here. Can you be more specific.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Florida
21,141 posts, read 22,225,385 times
Reputation: 25661
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I followed the link you posted, and this may be something I will try.
My knowledge of computers is limited, but I will look into this.
In the meantime, if you doubt evp is possible, again I would suggest you goggle Sarah Estep.
She was a pioneer in the field, and I challenge you to show that her experiments are false.
For some reason you don't want to see evp for what it is, but you are content to hide behind a rock and make all kinds of accusations as to it's validity.
Presently I can not offer you proof of my experiments, but I CAN offer Ms. Estep's proof, which is the same as mine.
I would like to view your opinions once you look at the work she has done in this field.
Bob.
I asked in the other thread and got no answer so will ask again.
"Well Calguy
I would gather that this more than amazing phenonemum has been done under scientific scrutiny and controlled conditions.
It sounds like this one would be easy to prove or disprove and it's surprising we all do not know about it
I didn't find any reference to any scientic studies. Could you direct us?"


By the way, I do mean independent research
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 04:38 AM
 
10 posts, read 12,743 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That's interesting, I have never heard about Jinn before.

Believe me, I have tried to look for a physical explanation. But what could it be? The wind or shifting foundations might explain how objects can move a little bit but it doesn't explain how a wallet can be on the living room table one day and the night stand upstairs the next day without anyone touching it.


what have happend tp u is similar to what's on "paranormal activity" movie.....muslims call those creatures jinn.....christians call theme spitrites or something.....i think it's rational when it come to muslims and the way they think......bu anyway.....ammmmm.....what happend to u is a sign....yes there is a god.....and what happend to u doesn't mean that god did it.....but it's from creature of god.....a wonderful like this can't just come from nothing like u ethotics believe.....just take a look at ur self....every single in ur body screams and say there a god who creat that....look at nature....animals.....planet's.....could all this come from nothing........haaa....tell me.....what's ur mind telling u .....just think over
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 05:31 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 25,749,693 times
Reputation: 18088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

I myself tried this by playing a game of "hide the diamond". I had a fake diamond and had 10 people search my apartment for it. They opened drawers, looked under sofas, behind things.... much more. They could not find it. It was in fact standing in the center of an other wise empty table in the middle of my living room... in plain sight. You can try this yourself sometime.

The purveyors of woo, lies and trickery will use anything they can to get a foot in your metaphorical door.
De ja vue....

I play the same game with one 5yr old, different results. The blind folds aren't fair play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The fact that I have not found a way to get them on my computer does not take away from the fact that I recorded them, and others, besides myself, have listened to them.
Bob.
Just wanted to say, enjoyed reading your posts.

I'll comment on the highlighted...no matter how concrete the evidence you'd provide, those who staunchly hold their stand, still staunchly hold their stand.




OP...interesting thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top