Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Belief in the Paranormal? Why are skeptics so hostile?

Disbelief does not necessarily entail hostility, usually it just means... "I don't believe you." .... Although.....if you keep trying to push something on me, it may well turn to hostility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
You do realize that the naked human senses are very limited and that optical illusions are really just brain failures? Not to mention the human mind and pareidolia as well as tall tales. If something is truly unknown and cannot be explained at this time, then it is an unknown. It is not paranormal, it does not demonstrate an ounce of evidence towards ghosts, spirits, daemons, demons, etc. If it is an unknown, it is an unknown. Otherwise, one pushes forward an argument from ignorance.
Its not that opinions aren't welcome.

Its the rude and hostile remarks regarding ones sanity. In the forum, people with experiences are reluctant to post so they aren't labeled.

If you don't fall into the above category, don't take it personally.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:41 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,083,852 times
Quote:
You do realize that the naked human senses are very limited and that optical illusions are really just brain failures? Not to mention the human mind and pareidolia as well as tall tales. If something is truly unknown and cannot be explained at this time, then it is an unknown. It is not paranormal, it does not demonstrate an ounce of evidence towards ghosts, spirits, daemons, demons, etc. If it is an unknown, it is an unknown. Otherwise, one pushes forward an argument from ignorance.
again a response that is looking down intellectually on those that do or have been involved in PARANORMAL(look up the meaning)events-----as to your medical references---not needed as i have had a long history of involvement in the medical/neurological/psychiatric field(as a professional)--imho to discount the exsistence of energies(ghosts or daemons) is foolish as energy of various types surround us constantly---but i am not going to waste my energy to those closed to the idea of unexplained phenomena being classified as para normal(maybe this term causes anxiety in some people)

Old 09-26-2011, 02:47 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,635,983 times
Maybe some of the terms used make people uncomfortable(words like "ghosts," etc.), because it makes them feel foolish or illogical. Maybe humans leave an electrical impression on certain environments for whatever reasons and for those that have experienced this the only words they know to describe the event are are ghosts and spirits. It is paranormal because it is not something commonly experienced by everyone and is unfamiliar to most of us.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:54 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,455,647 times
Quote:
We are already long past this point. Mediums, paranormal researchers, commentators, are not speaking about simple ghosts or UFO appearances. That is long passe. Today they know precisely what kind of ghost it was and what intentions it had. Why can't the spirit rest, and if it can or cannot be freed.
UFOs? No problem - those were from the same planet as the craft that hovered over Mexico City in 1987, but are their enemies. There is a big fight between these groups who scout earth as a potential colony if they are defeated at home. No less.
Ancient ruins? Sure, the cavemen chisseld on the wall the shape of UFO astronauts who visited earth in 10,000BC and taught them how to solve math equations.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
I often hear distinctive noises when I'm sitting in my house and no other person is around .... I hear brushing and wheezing sounds. I hear small footsteps running across my ceiling. Several times, I've heard knocking and then rushed to open my front door. But there was nobody there.

So, my house is definitely haunted, right?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,237,788 times
Fear. Simply put. People are scared of what they do not know. Education is the key, if you don't know, research and find out.

I help found a paranormal group. It's still going strong and I have all my questions answered, so much so that I am no longer involved, and I do BELIEVE.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,797,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
Fear. Simply put. People are scared of what they do not know. Education is the key, if you don't know, research and find out.

I help found a paranormal group. It's still going strong and I have all my questions answered, so much so that I am no longer involved, and I do BELIEVE.
I have to disagree with you. I don't believe people are afraid of the paranormal. Most have not had any paranormal experiences and therefore have not felt any fear attributable to the paranormal. In addition, those that don't believe in the paranormal tend to be amused not fearful when others describe their paranormal experiences.

As far as educating ones self about the paranormal, most people have a strong opinion prior to doing so. Believers will find support for their beliefs and non-believers will find flawed research methods and conclusions to support their disbelief.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:07 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
rogead wrote:
there was the unmistakable image of a baby faintly superimposed on the photograph. This couple was convinced that this superimposition was a form of contact from their infant child who had drowned a few weeks before the photograph of the older child was taken. There is no reason to believe that these people were attempting to perpetrate a hoax, and I can understand the cathartic value of believing that the spirit of their dead child was somehow communicating with them. However, a photographic expert pointed out exactly why this image was almost certainly a double-exposure.
Possibly it is both ( contact from their infant child AND a double-exposure ). Perhaps this spirit was an evolved soul with the ability to influence the material plane from the spiritual realm causing the double exposure to make it's presence known.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I have to disagree with you. I don't believe people are afraid of the paranormal. Most have not had any paranormal experiences and therefore have not felt any fear attributable to the paranormal. In addition, those that don't believe in the paranormal tend to be amused not fearful when others describe their paranormal experiences.

As far as educating ones self about the paranormal, most people have a strong opinion prior to doing so. Believers will find support for their beliefs and non-believers will find flawed research methods and conclusions to support their disbelief.
Would it be safe to assume that believers have research methods and conclusions they can present to make their point? Or, must everybody rely purely on beliefs held by them?

Old 09-27-2011, 03:09 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,081,989 times
I don't get hostile, but I can imagine why someone would. Here's a scenario: you're a parent to a young child, you don't have a lot of personal time, and some "believer" goes and convinces your kid that all those things you've told them to get them to go to bed or back to sleep is false and that ghosts do, in fact, exist. What a pain in the a$$ that must be. Instead of kicking back and relaxing for a bit you've got to deal with "daddy, daddy! ghosts are real! So&so said so!!!"

I suppose I should be impressed that Ghost Hunters seems to have a 100% success rate. They always seem to encounter something supernatural. It's too bad that all they can get on camera is the same two douche bags wetting thier pants, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.