Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:29 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Yes. And most of the time the real psychics you come across are going to be a friend in your living room at 11:00 at night while you have the fire lit and are drinking a cup of cocoa--not the boardwalk psychics or the TV psychics. I have a friend who is so psychic it's insane. She doesn't even view herself as a psychic but she always knows what people are thinking and what they need to hear. It's eery. I think a better word is maybe "intuitive". Intuitive people are everyone and like Pamela said, it's a useful skill. I'm very intuitive about certain things and I just use it in my life and in my friends' lives. I don't intend to make money off it. In that sense, psychics do change lives. Another really good friend of mine always knows when someone is going to die. She gets it every time. She's had about 30+ pet rats and she always gets a feeling to make a video of them and then the next day they die. With family members she gets a feeling that someone is going to die and then someone always does. I hate when she gets that feeling cause then I worry--who's next??

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 10-08-2011 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 07:38 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I'm very skeptical about psychics, particularly ones who charge money for readings. I do believe there are some people who have special gifts of heightened intuition which most of us don't have. One thing I learned over the years, though, is to never say never.

I don't believe there has ever been a psychic who actually knows the future. If that were true, then every psychic out there would theoretically be able to choose the correct lottery numbers every day. Ain't gonna happen!

If there was someone who told me s/he could predict my future, and if it were actually possible, I would not want to know my future. It's in God's hands and in God's time I will know what I need to know.
No one can know the future for sure because it's changeable. We still have free will no matter which way you cut it, so if we do something different from what the psychic assumed at the time of a reading, even if they had 100% accuracy at the time, their prediction could end up being a moot point.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:48 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Gosh....I thought the thread was about 'how PHYSICS change your life'...............

I do believe some people have special gifts from God, but if they are selling the gift for personal gain, chances are it won't be accurate for long because God will no longer be in it.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:57 AM

58 posts, read 150,242 times
I look at it this way, psychics are the universe's road workers. They interpret the signs along the roads we take in life. Accurate intuitives/readers will warn you of possible troubles ahead, like a bridge being washed out or to slow down/use caution. A good reader or psychic will also tell you that the outcome of your situation is variable, that a certain outcome depends on a certain action. Your destiny is your own and it can be changed to a great extent. We can stop and take another direction at any time in our journey and the signs will also change.

I've read Tarot for many years and I have told every person before the reading that the answers they were about to receive would only be accurate if they did not change their course of action. What I give is the probable outcome. You can change your destiny at any moment, from taking an alternative route to work to picking up the phone and making a call.
If you go to a "psychic" and they fail to give you a message of hope, they are not genuine in my book. They also will not just tell you what you want to know, but what you need to know. It's something most intuitives understand, as with knowledge comes responsibility.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:55 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Gosh....I thought the thread was about 'how PHYSICS change your life'...............

I do believe some people have special gifts from God, but if they are selling the gift for personal gain, chances are it won't be accurate for long because God will no longer be in it.
You're right!

The problem seems to be the skeptics. They want to argue the point rather than just let the believers post their opinions.

Granted, they have the right to not believe, but .......

Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
The psychic on The Mentalist makes me laugh every week.
If you watch "The Mentalist" every week than you should know that Mr. Jane is not a psychic, nor does he pretend to be. He has admitted in past episodes that his previous career as a stage psychic was bogus. His seemingly preternatural abilities to analyze people and expose liars are purely cognitive. He uses keen observational techniques of people's "tells" (like good poker players do) in order to discover their real emtoions and agendas.
As you can tell, I'm huge fan of the show.
Also, using a TV show or movie as a barometer for the actual veracity of a given profession or skill is like saying that all cops are violent nutcases because of Mel Gibson's character of Martin Riggs in "Lethal Weopon."
There are some people who truly posess psychic or precognitive ability. Just like some people are outstanding athletes, or artists, or writers, there are those who have the ability to utilize a part of their brain that most of us cannot tap into. Psychic ability, therefore, is a condition borne of neuro-chemistry and not supernatural aspects.
The problem is, that 95% of the people who claim psychic ability are frauds, thus they give a band name to the entire field.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 10-08-2011 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganLady View Post
I look at it this way, psychics are the universe's road workers. They interpret the signs along the roads we take in life. Accurate intuitives/readers will warn you of possible troubles ahead, like a bridge being washed out or to slow down/use caution. A good reader or psychic will also tell you that the outcome of your situation is variable, that a certain outcome depends on a certain action. Your destiny is your own and it can be changed to a great extent. We can stop and take another direction at any time in our journey and the signs will also change.

I've read Tarot for many years and I have told every person before the reading that the answers they were about to receive would only be accurate if they did not change their course of action. What I give is the probable outcome. You can change your destiny at any moment, from taking an alternative route to work to picking up the phone and making a call.
If you go to a "psychic" and they fail to give you a message of hope, they are not genuine in my book. They also will not just tell you what you want to know, but what you need to know. It's something most intuitives understand, as with knowledge comes responsibility.
Interesting analogy! I always thought of them as traffic cops myself. Lol

I agree with GloryB in a way. People with a true gift don't sell it, they give it freely to those who need it. Selling it, IMO, just makes it cheap and tawdry.

Now, back to the subject. Has a psychic changed my life? No. Has being a sensitive changed my life? Yes, in many ways. It took a while to get a handle on it, to trust my inner voice. But between that and my poor, overworked guardian angel Sam, i've managed to survive, relatively unscathed, for 55 years.

As for Tarot, I had one reading. She told me I would marry 3 times,right, I would have 3 children, wrong, and a bunch of other stuff that totally didn't apply to me. But that's just my experience, other's may vary.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganLady View Post

You'e not giving those gifted souls with true psychic ability enough credit. These chosen few go far beyond merely reading a person's "road signs."
For example, a psychic my mother used to go to would tell her what exactly was going on in my life, and this was at a time when I was living 2000 miles away from my family and had very little contact with them. My mother was very skeptical about seeing this lady, and only went to see her because a close friend of my mom's absolutely swore by this woman.Thus, my Mom was extremely careful not to reveal any personal information whatsoever to her: especially in regards to her family or children.
Like I've said before, some people posess psychic ability, like some are gifted artists or scientific geniuses like an Einstein or a Copernicus. It's just that the vast majority of people who claim spychic ability are full of doo-doo, thus they besmirch the entire field. Psychic ability is a scientific dynamic, caused by enhanced neural activity in the brain, or an ability to access a part of the mind that most people cannot. It is NOT a supernatural occurence.
Tarot, on the other hand, is competely without merit or accuracy, and is merely entertinment.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:59 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Does being a sensitive (I hate the "P" word) run in your family?

It does in ours, mostly the women but every so often it shows up in one of the men. Saves us a lot on long distance calls too!
There have been a number of things happen in my life that lead me towards saying yes and that I'm the one. Nothing major, but small stuff. I'd say something was going to happen and it did.

I also believe that folks who've gone on before us give us guidance in various ways, including dreams.

How's it changed my life? Not significantly, but as a previous poster mentioned, I've learned to listen to that "little voice" that tells me to trust my instincts.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:24 PM

58 posts, read 150,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
You'e not giving those gifted souls with true psychic ability enough credit. These chosen few go far beyond merely reading a person's "road signs."
For example, a psychic my mother used to go to would tell her what exactly was going on in my life, and this was at a time when I was living 2000 miles away from my family and had very little contact with them. My mother was very skeptical about seeing this lady, and only went to see her because a close friend of my mom's absolutely swore by this woman.Thus, my Mom was extremely careful not to reveal any personal information whatsoever to her: especially in regards to her family or children.
Like I've said before, some people posess psychic ability, like some are gifted artists or scientific geniuses like an Einstein or a Copernicus. It's just that the vast majority of people who claim spychic ability are full of doo-doo, thus they besmirch the entire field. Psychic ability is a scientific dynamic, caused by enhanced neural activity in the brain, or an ability to access a part of the mind that most people cannot. It is NOT a supernatural occurence.
Tarot, on the other hand, is competely without merit or accuracy, and is merely entertinment.
Your opinion on the Tarot is just that, opinion.

All people are psychic to some degree. Most people are raised to ignore their intuition or hunches. Some psychics use the Tarot to open up the channel of information (cartomancy) some use the handling of objects (clairsentience) or they hear messages (clairaudience). Those are just a few examples. The result is the same, the ability to access information not known through conventional means.

The information an intuitive/sensitive/psychic/whateveryouwanttocallit gives you is completely accessable to anyone. Some people just need a little help now and then or are a little curious. If you dont believe in "psychics", dont go to one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal