Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

About 20 years ago I was washing dishes in the kitchen and suddenly I heard music, specifically country music. Where eas it coming from? Me! Inside my mouth.

I kid you not. There it was banjo, twangy guitars and some cow bells for good measure! I thought I was going out of m mind. My husband arrived home from work, and we were about to have dinner. We had no kids at the time.I would leave for my jog as the charge nures of a psych unit for adolescent boys with anger issues.

And one thing I knew, they liked me, but half liked hip hop and the other half liked heavy metal but none of them liked country. This could prove to be problematic.

When DH got home I told him of this event and at first he was laughing - thought I was putting him on.
But then he put his ear to my mouth and said" I hear it! Is is country music?"

We were both laughing hysterically.Then the music changed and made that sound that old analog radios when they change stations and now it was Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen!

It was funny but a little scary.It was four hours before my shift and I asked a friend to cover for me because I had cramps. What was I going to say? That a radio station was camping out in my mouth?
It really was strange.

My DH went out and to rent a video and bought a bottle of wine, and all through the night the music changed, from country to rock to hip-hop and back. Salsa music was very loud. I was afraid that I was going to have to live with this weirdness for ever but the next day when I awakened after a sound sleep, it was gone.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
There was this old urban legend about people picking up radio stations in their fillings.

Ha ha ha...maybe that happened to you.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There was this old urban legend about people picking up radio stations in their fillings.

I've heard this as well but I just don't really have a clue what would cause it.

I hear music all the time but it is from the spirits who visit me often and it is more background music than me actually listening to it myself.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:00 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
About 20 years ago I was washing dishes in the kitchen and suddenly I heard music, specifically country music. Where eas it coming from? Me! Inside my mouth.

I kid you not. There it was banjo, twangy guitars and some cow bells for good measure! I thought I was going out of m mind. My husband arrived home from work, and we were about to have dinner. We had no kids at the time.I would leave for my jog as the charge nures of a psych unit for adolescent boys with anger issues.

And one thing I knew, they liked me, but half liked hip hop and the other half liked heavy metal but none of them liked country. This could prove to be problematic.

When DH got home I told him of this event and at first he was laughing - thought I was putting him on.
But then he put his ear to my mouth and said" I hear it! Is is country music?"

We were both laughing hysterically.Then the music changed and made that sound that old analog radios when they change stations and now it was Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen!

It was funny but a little scary.It was four hours before my shift and I asked a friend to cover for me because I had cramps. What was I going to say? That a radio station was camping out in my mouth?
It really was strange.

My DH went out and to rent a video and bought a bottle of wine, and all through the night the music changed, from country to rock to hip-hop and back. Salsa music was very loud. I was afraid that I was going to have to live with this weirdness for ever but the next day when I awakened after a sound sleep, it was gone.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???? Any ideas?
According to everything I just read, it's theoretically possible, but very rare that fillings can pick up radio stations -- everything has to be just right to do so.

I can say this -- when we moved from Pittsburgh PA to the Bay Area in California, I really really missed KDKA radio. (this was 28 years ago)

And one night in my homesickness, I fiddled with the radio dial.. thought I heard it, turned the radio around, lifted the electrical cord... and BANG

I was listening to KDKA.

I propped the electrical cord (which also served as an antenna) up with a hanger, and fell asleep to Perry Marshall.

The next night -- it was gone. Couldn't find it. I tried for a while longer and gave up, but in a few months I tried it again... nothing.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:08 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,266 times
The country music would have driven me insane. lol

Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

It's a very possible explanation. Radio waves are around us ALL the time in addition to other signals. The right conditions in a rare form can cause this.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:10 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I couldn't sleep the other night and was laying on the couch at about 2:00 AM. While I was laying there I could swear I was hearing what sounded like somebody playing loud "death metal" music somewhere outside in the distance. I could even follow the "beat" and though I couldn't understand any lyrics, it sounded just like someone was yelling at the top of their lungs to electric guitars and drums. I went out and only heard silence; when I laid back down I heard it again.

I shrugged it off as simply the result of being overtired and my tinnitus (ringing ears) acting up; I just ignored it and eventually fell asleep. Our brains will do that kind of thing to us occasionally.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I couldn't sleep the other night and was laying on the couch at about 2:00 AM. While I was laying there I could swear I was hearing what sounded like somebody playing loud "death metal" music somewhere outside in the distance. I could even follow the "beat" and though I couldn't understand any lyrics, it sounded just like someone was yelling at the top of their lungs to electric guitars and drums. I went out and only heard silence; when I laid back down I heard it again.

I shrugged it off as simply the result of being overtired and my tinnitus (ringing ears) acting up; I just ignored it and eventually fell asleep. Our brains will do that kind of thing to us occasionally.

Yes Chango, our brains do some strange things. However, how would my husband be able to hear this?

Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes Chango, our brains do some strange things. However, how would my husband be able to hear this?
Of course it's hard to say without having experienced it... but the the power of suggestion is very real too.

Once when I was ghost hunting I pretended to find a "cold spot" randomly just to see what everyone's reaction would be. They all put their hands in the spot and agreed it was one, then started taking pictures like mad, certain it was a sign something supernatural was going on and they were gonna get something special.

They were not happy when I then told them I had just made it up, but it was a good lesson to show how a bit of healthy skepticism is useful when dealing with that kind of stuff.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Actually a tooth filling could resemble the crystal used in crystal radios. I recall building one of those things when I was a kid but I can't recall the details of its design. The crystal was usually galena, a lead ore mineral. That little radio was loud enough for my older brother to tell me to "shut that radio off and go to sleep."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal