Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

"Some people studying Google Earth for some reason managed to run across some very weird patterns in the Chinese desert that have a bunch of folks stumped. The patterns look like stripes that were etched or dug over the top of the landscape in the area. Some of the lines appear to be made from a silver/white material."

Massive networks of stripes appear in Chinese Desert - SlashGear

There are satellite photos with the link. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Some people studying Google Earth for some reason managed to run across some very weird patterns in the Chinese desert that have a bunch of folks stumped. The patterns look like stripes that were etched or dug over the top of the landscape in the area. Some of the lines appear to be made from a silver/white material."

weapons testing?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:52 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:

Just as a heads up there are a NUMBER of google earth pics out there that are photoshopped to add things like sharks circling surfers etc.

I'm not saying this is the case here but with a website labeled "slashgear.com" my BS detector is tingling.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:19 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,596 times
I'm pretty much a Google Earth maniac. I used to spend all day on it, as the field of imagery analysis fascinates me.

I see a lot of those kinds of weird images all over the country (and world). You run across the damnedest things when you putz around online all day, looking at hundreds of thousands of square miles of odd formations.

Whenever I run into something odd, I usually try to research it. Sometimes I figure out what it is, and sometimes I just can't any information on it. It doesn't help matters that the federal government purportedly interferes in the process by regulating the quality of imagery available to the general public.

One of the more interesting things I stumbled upon was the Cactus Dome on Runit island. That, in case you aren't aware, is the governments attempt to clean up all the nuclear weapons fallout that they created when they bombarded various pacific islands (Marshall Islands), displacing the islands residents. They entombed a lot of the fallout in one of the craters and mixed it with Portland cement, forming a 30 foot high dome, about 350 feet across, composed of 111,000 cubic-yards of concrete.

Though no secret, as it was a pretty big deal many decades ago..... I had never heard of it before when I stumbled across is, so it was an interesting oddity to just see this seemingly mysterious concrete dome on a tiny atoll island.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:05 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
"The patterns look like stripes that were etched or dug over the top of the landscape in the area.
Scientists were baffled for 50 years over "stripes" in the Saudi deserts.

Those stripes were sand dunes that formed parallel ridges running northwest to southeast above a certain "demarcation line" and then ran northeast to southwest below the demarcation line. When the monsoon season began, the dunes north of the demarcation line would shift to form parallel sand dunes running northeast to southwest, and then the dunes south of the line shifted to northwest to southeast.

Another mystery also surfaced. Core samples in the Persian Gulf and in the Basra Delta showed minerals, ores, sediments and deposits that originated in the Hijazz Mountains in western Saudi Arabia (on the Red Sea).

The mystery was solved when the space shuttle, using ground penetrating radar on a one of its missions, discovered a dead river bed running from the Hijazz Mountains east across the Arabian Peninsula into the Basra Delta region in Iraq/Kuwait and then merged with the Euphrates River.

That river is now called the "Kuwait River" and it died about 7,000 to 9,000 years ago.

The Arabian Peninsula was a sub-tropical paradise during the last Ice Age and melting snows in the Hijazz Mountains and rain run-off that formed tributaries created the river.

That all changed when the last Ice Age ended and our globe warmed.

Those formations in the Chinese desert could also be caused by rivers or small tributaries that are now dead, or other geological formations, or even ancient towns and villages that are now buried under the sand.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:43 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
This is supposed to be believable?

The article doesn't mention a thing of the map co-ordinates which leads me to to think the pics are bogus...

I'd love to know who "the stumped bunch of folks" are...

Old 11-14-2011, 07:59 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The article doesn't mention a thing of the map co-ordinates which leads me to to think the pics are bogus...
40.452107,93.742118 - Google Maps

Old 11-14-2011, 08:19 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:

It is Obama's fault.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
It means the aliens are coming to get you. Hide in a bunker and cover everything with tin foil. Get enough food to last at least 5 years, 10 is better, and stay there. Disconnect the internet or else "they" will use the wires to invade your mind and steal your thoughts.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:53 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,471 times
its a salt mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal