Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:03 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,892 times

Advertisements

I decided I have to ask this question to my fellow christians.

I have a friend ( no it's not me, it's really a friend). Anyway, I believe she has ESP-not like in the movies where people are predicting the end of the world but she will say things in the middle of a conversation like "you should call your grandmother." Or your cousin's dog is sick. When she told me to call my grandmother we weren't even talking about my grandmother-so I called her. She was being rushed to the hospital-When my friend told me my cousin's dog is sick, I asked my cousin about her dog, she didn't say anything but her dog passed away less than a month later. My cousin told me yes her dog was sick and she didn't want to worry me...I asked my friend if she has ESP and she told me "no I get a weird feeling in my stomach." So...does anyone believe in ESP? Or could someone give me an explaination why god would give someone this gift? It kind of gives me the creeps..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 04:10 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Does ESP exist? The available scientific data, collected over the past hundred years or so, says "YES!" Of course the concept of, and belief in, ESP goes much further back in time.

What is the reason/motivation behind your question? To put it melodramatically, "Why do you wish to know, Grasshopper?"

Old 11-30-2011, 04:16 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Probably, but I'm not sure it's tied to religion in any way (saying that because this is a religion forum). Is that what you're asking?

Old 11-30-2011, 04:22 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Does ESP exist? The available scientific data, collected over the past hundred years or so, says "YES!" Of course the concept of, and belief in, ESP goes much further back in time.

What is the reason/motivation behind your question? To put it melodramatically, "Why do you wish to know, Grasshopper?"
It depends on what one considers to be esp I did a little work in the field of non-verbal communication in humans during my undergrad years. some of the findings were quite remarkable. A lot of communication takes place from visual cues and not on conscious vocalization. In some of the experiments we did we found that in conversations about 85% of the conversation was non-verbal. To an observer it could easily appear the subjects were communicating by telepathy.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:26 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It depends on what one considers to be esp I did a little work in the field of non-verbal communication in humans during my undergrad years. some of the findings were quite remarkable. A lot of communication takes place from visual cues and not on conscious vocalization. In some of the experiments we did we found that in conversations about 85% of the conversation was non-verbal. To an observer it could easily appear the subjects were communicating by telepathy.
Great points.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post

I guess I want to know...is it a gift, is it god's gift? I have read some of the bible ( yes I'm working on it) so does the bible mention ESP? Honestly, it creeps me out because I never knew someone to have it and I believe she has it.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Really? I never believed in this..I thought everything was fake...interesting...

Old 11-30-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Really? I never believed in this..I thought everything was fake...interesting...
In the 1980s I used to teach a class on empathy and empathetic non verbal communication. It is sort of the opposite of reading body language (which is culturally biased) to deliberately sending non-verbal cues through deliberate physical cues. I based the class on what I had found in my undergrad research.

Nothing magic or mysterious just understanding how people actually communicate.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
In the 1980s I used to teach a class on empathy and empathetic non verbal communication. It is sort of the opposite of reading body language (which is culturally biased) to deliberately sending non-verbal cues through deliberate physical cues. I based the class on what I had found in my undergrad research.

Nothing magic or mysterious just understanding how people actually communicate.

I can understand-I'm a psychology major and I can"read" people. But she honestly has ESP-plus I talk to her on the phone-and she has done this a lot-

Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I can understand-I'm a psychology major and I can"read" people. But she honestly has ESP-plus I talk to her on the phone-and she has done this a lot-
Good as a psych major, if you have taken physiological psych , you may already know how outside stimuli such as smells, visual input etc can be incorporated into a conscious thought about a person.

For example various diseases such as diabetes and some cancers can give a subtle odor and those aware of this odor can link it to disease, often without realizing the source of their association.

I will not say ESP does not exist and would not be surprised to find it does.However, always search first for a physical explanation. Many very mysterious looking things have a very simple explanation that is over looked.

I retired 20 years ago and I am certain many advances have been made since my working years. I don't know how far you are in your studies, but you have chosen a very diverse and remarkable field. I hope it brings you as much joy as it brought me. the under grad years are the hardest. The MS years are the most fun and you can often get a teaching fellowship to supplement your income. If you are still an undergrad don't forget to take a few diverse courses in other fields I highly recommend General Biology, a philosophy course and take German you will eventually need it. for pleasure and a break take either an art, literature or music appreciation course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal