U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:47 PM

3,485 posts, read 5,916,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It depends on what one considers to be esp I did a little work in the field of non-verbal communication in humans during my undergrad years. some of the findings were quite remarkable. A lot of communication takes place from visual cues and not on conscious vocalization. In some of the experiments we did we found that in conversations about 85% of the conversation was non-verbal. To an observer it could easily appear the subjects were communicating by telepathy.
In my graduate work I came to understand the role of empathy, as distinguished from the interpretation of non-verbal cues. This can be extremely powerful, to the point of being rather scarey.

Neither of these can hold a candle to true ESP, which I have also seen demonstrated. In fact, in certain circumstances, I have demonstrated rudimentary ESP abilities. I sure as heck could not predict or control it -- when it happened, it happened, and when it didn't it simply didn't.

Now, it is a gift, a blessing, or perhaps a curse? In my own experience, the answer to all three questions is "YES!!!"

Not the answer you were expecting, perhaps, nor is it one that provides the least bit of help or assurance.

-- Nighteyes

PS: As with anything else, I guess it depends on how it is used, and for what purpose. Used "properly" it can be a gift/blessing. Otherwise it can be a curse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:10 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,320,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I guess I want to know...is it a gift, is it god's gift? I have read some of the bible ( yes I'm working on it) so does the bible mention ESP? Honestly, it creeps me out because I never knew someone to have it and I believe she has it.
The Bible does not mention ESP. It does teach about gifts that the Holy Spirit can give Christians. There is a gift of prophecy, words of knowledge, words of wisdom, as well as a number of other gifts. These are gifts from God to the church. Where your friend gets her information I do not know.

A heard a woman a few days ago describe church services during a time of revival in the U.S. in the 1970s. She was in a service and someone stood up and said, "Three people here are in adultry. If you don't stand up in five seconds, I will come and stand in front of you." She said three people immediately stood. The purpose of this word of knowledge was to purge sin from the church. From my experience this is an extreme example, but read about Ananias and Saphira for an even more extreme example. God is not to be toyed with. But most words of knowledge I have heard are gentler and encouraging to the person.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 PM

1,084 posts, read 545,749 times
Quote:
sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and i know ALL will dissagree. but those types of gifts were given to certain men of old. who worshipped the God of Israel, and it wasn't ESP. as much as many are taught to believe God give those gifts today, and to just anyone, is most definately a false teaching.

not to say many are wrong to believe they have certain "gifts". look at those physics,who are said to help find a dead body. or a physic that has lead the law to find a few dead bodies. you can't tell ANYONE that those people didn't have a gift from God. but here's what many don't or refuse to understand, Jehovah God,doesn't half-step, neither did Jesus.

when God gave those men of old a certain gift, that gift was 100% in full force. in other words,IF...that was a gift from God,not only would that physic lead the law into finding the dead. but lead them directly to the criminals door. it's always bit's a pieces..."i see a scare on his forehead, he has a limp?,etc. if it was from God, it'll be more like... his name is john jones he lives at... and so on.

of course one will say,then how did those people know?, easy...satan knows! just like God, sees all,satan sees just as much. he knows everything about everybody,(well almost, he doesn't know our thoughts).
this is why so many can say something to someone about their dead love one. when NOT even knowing or have met them.

why would satan make someone help another? how else would he be able to make one who's not really following Jesus, or worshipping Jehovah God feel they are true followers? many claim to have gifts of God. yet some of those same ones, are living in a way that pleases themselves, not God,
(1John 2:15,16 and 2 Tim. 3:2-5). many who tried hard to serve God and follow Jesus,don't have those gifts, then as well as now! sorry but we ALL know if we're trying to be part worldly and part christian.

satan has ministers,who's flocks believe they're true men of God, but they're not, (2Cor.-11:13-15, For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works). so i'm not saying what she feel she can do isn't real, i'm just saying it's not of God.
peace

Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 PM

48,796 posts, read 30,439,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and i know ALL will dissagree. but those types of gifts were given to certain men of old. who worshipped the God of Israel, and it wasn't ESP. as much as many are taught to believe God give those gifts today, and to just anyone, is most definately a false teaching.

not to say many are wrong to believe they have certain "gifts". look at those physics,who are said to help find a dead body. or a physic that has lead the law to find a few dead bodies. you can't tell ANYONE that those people didn't have a gift from God. but here's what many don't or refuse to understand, Jehovah God,doesn't half-step, neither did Jesus.

when God gave those men of old a certain gift, that gift was 100% in full force. in other words,IF...that was a gift from God,not only would that physic lead the law into finding the dead. but lead them directly to the criminals door. it's always bit's a pieces..."i see a scare on his forehead, he has a limp?,etc. if it was from God, it'll be more like... his name is john jones he lives at... and so on.

of course one will say,then how did those people know?, easy...satan knows! just like God, sees all,satan sees just as much. he knows everything about everybody,(well almost, he doesn't know our thoughts).
this is why so many can say something to someone about their dead love one. when NOT even knowing or have met them.

why would satan make someone help another? how else would he be able to make one who's not really following Jesus, or worshipping Jehovah God feel they are true followers? many claim to have gifts of God. yet some of those same ones, are living in a way that pleases themselves, not God,
(1John 2:15,16 and 2 Tim. 3:2-5). many who tried hard to serve God and follow Jesus,don't have those gifts, then as well as now! sorry but we ALL know if we're trying to be part worldly and part christian.

satan has ministers,who's flocks believe they're true men of God, but they're not, (2Cor.-11:13-15, For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works). so i'm not saying what she feel she can do isn't real, i'm just saying it's not of God.
peace
::Sigh::

Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Why does it have to be a "gift" from a higher power? Why can't it just be someone's particular talent?

Some are "gifted" athletes, artists, doctors, lawyers, teachers..........why can't others be "gifted" sensitives?

Personally, I think it has far more to do with a persons brain than with their beliefs.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:53 AM

4,142 posts, read 5,088,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Why does it have to be a "gift" from a higher power? Why can't it just be someone's particular talent?

Some are "gifted" athletes, artists, doctors, lawyers, teachers..........why can't others be "gifted" sensitives?

Personally, I think it has far more to do with a persons brain than with their beliefs.

I have looked at it in this way-but to "know" things? I talked to her last night about it..she doesn't really elabarate and she blows it off...but trust me she has done this to me at least 17 times..she knows things that there is no way she could know. Again I asked how do you know certain things-she said a thought comes to her and she gets a strange feeling in her stomach-she said she can't explain it.

I just wanted to know what others on this forum thought...

Old 12-01-2011, 11:15 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
I have looked at it in this way-but to "know" things? I talked to her last night about it..she doesn't really elabarate and she blows it off...but trust me she has done this to me at least 17 times..she knows things that there is no way she could know. Again I asked how do you know certain things-she said a thought comes to her and she gets a strange feeling in her stomach-she said she can't explain it.

I just wanted to know what others on this forum thought...
I guess I get tired of people considering it to be "supernatural" to be a sensitive. In some families, it's a normal thing.

I'd be willing to bet that their are others in your friends family with the same ability and chances are they are female.

Perhaps it occurs more frequently in women because we are traditionally the caregivers? A latent genetic ability that let's us know when our offspring are in trouble. Just pondering............

Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,890,108 times
I've heard of things like that.

I don't think that it's God specifically giving a gift to a person. It's more like the person's genetic structure enables him to do more stuff than some other people. It's like Mozart playing music at 4 years old. It's just that he was born that way. And some people are born with birth defects. God doesn't do that, it just happens.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:21 PM

4,142 posts, read 5,088,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLight1555 View Post
I've heard of things like that.

I don't think that it's God specifically giving a gift to a person. It's more like the person's genetic structure enables him to do more stuff than some other people. It's like Mozart playing music at 4 years old. It's just that he was born that way. And some people are born with birth defects. God doesn't do that, it just happens.

Hmm good way of thinking.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:28 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh::
I second that emoticon!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal