Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Except some things are just made up by the human mind and do not actually have any basis outside of our heads. Like the placebo effect, we want twins to be "special" so we BELIEVE them to be.
As a twin, I can attest to that statement being true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:57 AM

912 posts, read 826,832 times
I am open minded with this exploration but have a couple of questions-observations....

1) The study explains that extroverts are showing greater results anticipating the correct pick when an exotic picture is in play. The participant clicks on the chosen curtain and at that time only, the program then randomly chooses & displays an either exotic pic or the non-exotic.

Lets look at the explanation offered with regards to the extroverts higher results in predicting the correct curtain more often when an exotic pic is randomly displayed. The study is suggesting that the extrovert is an individual who becomes bored easily, needs variety and so forth. Because the test is in play then, the extrovert would have already been introduced to the potential for a pleasing exotic pic. The active emotion in highlight would be need and hope for another exotic pic. The test then becomes a search...searching each pic opportunity for an exotic result. This is my complaint, the mode in behavior due to erotic does not demonstrate correct anticipation but need and hope. If anything it would seem to suggest higher results demonstrate influence . If I understand correctly, it seems the allocation of character emotion is being mis-allocated in fundamental emphasis. I'm sure the study has this covered but its one item that seemed out of step with the analysis and would be very important.

2) The next problem is how....are they getting 49-51 in this limited amount of testing.? 50-50 odds are very hard pressed to show 49-51 in 1000....maybe 3-4 out of 10 at the most. In 1000 the usual would be more like a 47-53 and fluctuate...if there is a push the 1000 would show well above in opinion.....60-40 and fluxuate in that range. So my thinking is talking about the 49-51 is very difficult because of the wonder how...they were able to get those results in the first place indifferent of any approximations

Last edited by Blue Hue; 12-22-2011 at 08:12 AM..

Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I question the credibility of anyone who thinks that the brain can communicate with other brains at a distance via some undefined 'spooky' energy source or somehow predict the future at anything other than random chance.

As far as the studies you refer to, did you not read the wiki article I posted a link to? Putting all your marbles on these kind of questionable results is not helping your argument.

Sorry, there is no scientific support for ESP. It has been studied for decades, and repeatedly been found to have no evidentiary support, and plenty of evidence of fraud by those who promote it.
Continuing to place all your marbles on a unitary (undefined) definition of ESP undermines your credibility and understanding of the class of phenomena (plural) you indiscriminately castigate in apparent ignorance of their myriad types. Promoters of any phenomena, especially for monetary reward, are automatically suspect . . . so what? The existence of fraudulent stock analysts does NOT mean there are no legitimate ones. Your broad claim under an overarching (but undefined) label of ESP is bogus on its face.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:35 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Continuing to place all your marbles on a unitary (undefined) definition of ESP undermines your credibility and understanding of the class of phenomena (plural) you indiscriminately castigate in apparent ignorance of their myriad types. Promoters of any phenomena, especially for monetary reward, are automatically suspect . . . so what? The existence of fraudulent stock analysts does NOT mean there are no legitimate ones. Your broad claim under an overarching (but undefined) label of ESP is bogus on its face.
Hey, I'm simply expressing my opinion on the matter. You disagree with that opinion. So sue me.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:04 AM

63 posts, read 53,153 times
Quote:
But what??
Nothing, I just couldn't think of a good way to finish the sentence (and I had to go to bed.) 'But' was quick and easy.

Can we have a tiny bit of rationality at least? Simple logic begs the question, why is only some twins some times? Even if it a trait only some people posess like perfect pitch, traits don't just come and go.

Quote:
you just want to believe in make believe?
I don't want to believe in what you call "make believe". There's no "wanting" on my part. I just believe in this stuff, or at least, the possibility of it.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:29 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
I don't know if I qualify in this thread, however, I am one of a set of triplets, there's myself, my brother and my sister. You asked if there is anything between siblings of multiple birth, I can't say for sure but there has been some interesting things take place between myself and my siblings. I'll share one instant: It was August 28th, 1985, I awoke in the morning after having this strange dream about my brother and I was feeling very uneasy, as if something had happened to him, I called my sister and she said she was just going to call me because of a dream she had about our brother. The dream she had was the same dream I had, right down to the type of clothes my brother was wearing. She said she thinks something had happened to him because she had this same uneasy feeling. I called the residence where my brother had been living, they said he didn't come home last night, well, to make a long story short, that past evening my brother had been in a motorcycle accident and died, they found him the later that same day I had called my sister. I let you draw your own conclusion.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 PM

175 posts, read 296,267 times
I am very sorry for the loss of your brother. I could not imagine any of my children facing the loss of one of their siblings. I am sorry to hear this happened to you.

Last edited by thebpseven; 12-23-2011 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 PM

912 posts, read 826,832 times
Yes very sorry to hear about the outcome. As I was reading through there was a little fear in the
unfortunate, so extending sympathy's to be sure.

Will take the invitation to expand on conclusions as nicely expressed in your note.

Re Subject Matter (opinion)
Being open minded as mentioned to an ESP reality its noticed that the experience took place during sleep and was in no way vague. Every possible ingredient for authenticity is clearly in motion.
This allows for a direct and concise critical blow to the psi movement in the direction of exploration.
Not only is the setting crude compared to a real life necessity for an ESP reality, the results are an insult to the possibility for true evaluation. As well the window in play and utilized is during sleep hours....not waking time with restriction in accesibility. This seems to be a common trait and in opinion should not be dismissed.
Obviously my conclusion is that the PSI exploration researchers do not have a clue what they are doing , are looking in the wrong area,are not able to intelligently approximate highly questionable results due to ignorance-anxiety, and should be properly exposed for all their non-sense.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 12-23-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I have this connection with a few people in my life. I always get a strong feeling when they are depressed or ill or in danger. I also get a strong feeling when they are feeling particularly joyful. I know when to call them or come home and make sure they're okay. I think some people have this connection and some don't. In some cases the two people are twins and in some they're not. A lot of parents have this with their children. I think we all have the potential to be connected in this way with any other living being. It's just a matter of being tuned in. You can "tune into" anyone's energy--you just have to turn your knobs to the right frequencies, so to speak. If there are people in your life resonating at the same frequencies, you'll find you're already tuned into them and can sense how they're feeling physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, even over long distances.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:12 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I have this connection with a few people in my life. I always get a strong feeling when they are depressed or ill or in danger. I also get a strong feeling when they are feeling particularly joyful. I know when to call them or come home and make sure they're okay. I think some people have this connection and some don't. In some cases the two people are twins and in some they're not. A lot of parents have this with their children. I think we all have the potential to be connected in this way with any other living being. It's just a matter of being tuned in. You can "tune into" anyone's energy--you just have to turn your knobs to the right frequencies, so to speak. If there are people in your life resonating at the same frequencies, you'll find you're already tuned into them and can sense how they're feeling physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, even over long distances.
Good post . . . people do differ in their sensitivities particularly across genders . . . but the tuning is not intuitive for most and poorly understood even among mystics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal