U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 PM

63 posts, read 47,199 times

Advertisements

The subject of ESP in general is somewhat interesting to me and I am especially interested in the cases of twins exhibiting it.

There seem to be many anecdotal reports of twins displaying some sort of extra-sensory perceptions (i.e. one twin "knowing" when the other is in trouble, or one twin getting a pain in their arm at the same time that their twin has broken their arm, etc.)

A lot of twins are very close and it's my opinon that many of them share a special connection that others do not necessarily have (or do not have as much of.) I think it's a possibility that a sort of ESP is occurring in cases with twins.

I knew a pair of twins who said they were able to "sense" things about each other. I'm also a fan of the Bee Gees and two of them, Robin and Maurice Gibb, were twins who reported a few occasions of sensing that the other one was in some kind of danger. When Robin was in a train accident Maurice said he felt a sense of foreboding and was convinced that something was wrong and something had happened to Robin. On another, and tragic, scale, when Maurice was in hospital with stomach pains from a twisted intestine (which he later died from) Robin stated that he woke up in the early hours of the morning (in England) with severe stomach pains - and this was before he had been informed that anything was wrong with his twin.

Of course, those are only two occasions (that I can recall) and it's possible that it could have been coincidental, but at the same time, there are a lot of people, who are either twins, or who know twins, who speak of the rather uncanny way that twins can sense when another is ill, or even, in some cases, feel pain themselves when the other twin is feeling pain. Some twins report being able to predict what the other twin is going to say, so sometimes they finish each other's sentences off.

Anyone know of any scientific studies that may have been done to look into the possibility of ESP phenomena in twins?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 PM

16,833 posts, read 15,873,250 times
OK. Then how come all twins do not have ESP?

And just to be clear the gibb twins were fraternal. So unless the "connection" is one of being in the same uterus, that they should have the EXACT same connection as every single other pair of siblings.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,471,987 times
OK, here is my theory about this ESP stuff.

There is a lot of energy around us that we are not aware of. The space in front of your face may appear empty, but put a radio or TV receiver there and it will pick up lots of sounds and images.

Radios or TV receivers are just our crude instruments. There are probably lots of forces that we cannot detect, even with our best instruments.

Our brains are incredibly complex. I would not be the least bit surprised if twins could pick the brain waves of each other.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
OK. Then how come all twins do not have ESP?

And just to be clear the gibb twins were fraternal. So unless the "connection" is one of being in the same uterus, that they should have the EXACT same connection as every single other pair of siblings.
I'm aware that Robin and Maurice were fraternal twins. (For one thing, it's clear if you look at a picture of them - they're not identical - and for another, I'm a big fan, so I know quite a lot about the Bee Gees.)

When I said connection, I meant that many twins seem, to me, to have some sort of spiritual connection (I term it "spiritual" because I really can't think of a better word to describe it.) I know that not all twins have this, but a lot of them seem to. It's like a strong emotional bond that goes beyond the physical, in my opinion, into the spiritual.

Obviously other siblings can have intense emotional connections (or spiritual ones) that are on the same level as that of twins. However, the difference is, that I have seen more reports of supposed ESP between twins than I have siblings who are not twins.

As to why not all twins experience this ESP, I don't know. But there are certainly many claims of something happening between them. In your opinion, what do you think is happening when someone gets a sense, or knows, that something bad has happened to their twin? Mere coincidence? Or possibly something more to it?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
I'm aware that Robin and Maurice were fraternal twins. (For one thing, it's clear if you look at a picture of them - they're not identical - and for another, I'm a big fan, so I know quite a lot about the Bee Gees.)

When I said connection, I meant that many twins seem, to me, to have some sort of spiritual connection (I term it "spiritual" because I really can't think of a better word to describe it.) I know that not all twins have this, but a lot of them seem to. It's like a strong emotional bond that goes beyond the physical, in my opinion, into the spiritual.

Obviously other siblings can have intense emotional connections (or spiritual ones) that are on the same level as that of twins. However, the difference is, that I have seen more reports of supposed ESP between twins than I have siblings who are not twins.

As to why not all twins experience this ESP, I don't know. But there are certainly many claims of something happening between them. In your opinion, what do you think is happening when someone gets a sense, or knows, that something bad has happened to their twin? Mere coincidence? Or possibly something more to it?
Again, just a little FYI, identical twins frequently do not look identical, and fraternals can look very similar. Ex: Olsen twins.

1. How does a "spiritual connection work"?
2. Does it always work? Meaning could you ESP remind someone to pick up dog food?
3. If not, why not? What wouldn't it work all the time? Why would the "connection" time out like crappy dial up modems?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
OK, here is my theory about this ESP stuff.

There is a lot of energy around us that we are not aware of. The space in front of your face may appear empty, but put a radio or TV receiver there and it will pick up lots of sounds and images.

Radios or TV receivers are just our crude instruments. There are probably lots of forces that we cannot detect, even with our best instruments.

Our brains are incredibly complex. I would not be the least bit surprised if twins could pick the brain waves of each other.
Brains waves can be measured. They are part of the electromagnetic spectrum. We can measure that as well.

"Brain waves" do not have enough energy to travel the distances we are talking.

Now if we want to actually talk about some weird crap can we at least deal with stuff that exists? Maybe some spooky action at a distance?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Again, just a little FYI, identical twins frequently do not look identical, and fraternals can look very similar. Ex: Olsen twins.
Well, I wasn't aware of that, so that's interesting.

Quote:
1. How does a "spiritual connection work"?
2. Does it always work? Meaning could you ESP remind someone to pick up dog food?
3. If not, why not? What wouldn't it work all the time? Why would the "connection" time out like crappy dial up modems?
I honestly have no idea, it's just a loose term I'm using to describe the intense connection that a lot (but not all) of twins seem to share and to possibly account for their experiences.

But I am interested in hearing your thoughts about what you believe may be happening when twins have such experiences - like sensing when the other is in danger, or someone feeling pain in a part of their body when their twin has just broken that part of the body. I take it you don't believe in ESP, so what do you think may be the reason for their experiences?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
Well, I wasn't aware of that, so that's interesting.

I honestly have no idea, it's just a loose term I'm using to describe the intense connection that a lot (but not all) of twins seem to share and to possibly account for their experiences.

But I am interested in hearing your thoughts about what you believe may be happening when twins have such experiences - like sensing when the other is in danger, or someone feeling pain in a part of their body when their twin has just broken that part of the body. I take it you don't believe in ESP, so what do you think may be the reason for their experiences?
Nothing is happening.

It is a coincidence.

I was waiting for a flight once and a woman at the gate next to me abruptly got her entire family out of line because of a "premonition". She had never had one before but suddenly "just knew". I could hear here explaining it to her bewildered husband from 20 ft away. The plane landed just fine and nothing happened at all.

Nobody keeps track of the multitude of times people have a feeling about someone and it was literally NOTHING.

Add that to the far more numerous times the very same set of twins doesn't know. How come Robin didn't know Maurice was in danger before he went into surgery? How come he had to be called that his brother was sick?

As to why it may APPEAR to be more often in sets of twins, because they probably just THINK about each other more often. If they just think about their twin twice as often that doubles the likelihood that they will have one of those millions of thoughts line up randomly with one of the thousands of events.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:06 PM

175 posts, read 276,735 times
I have monoamniotic twins that are 6. Monoamniotic twins are single sac twins, identical twins whose egg split very late, and share one amniotic sac instead of two like most other identical and fraternal twins. Mine shared a "fused" (one cord that separates into two closer to the babies) umbilical cord and placenta (yes, believe it, I have pictures...my twins shared ONE PLACENTA between the two of them.)

I don't read scientific papers or studies. But I can tell you my twins share something together. Identical twins have identical DNA, but they have their differences in their mannerisms and somewhat in their looks (one is slightly skinnier than the other.) My twins began speaking to each other long before they ever spoke to us, and still have words (and names for each other) we don't understand. They know when something is wrong with the other. They base their normal activities on each other, like playing games they both agree to play. We had to fight their school to allow them to be in the same class because they did not want to be apart from the other and I did not want to add extra stress on them entering kindergarten.

However, I don't think this just belongs to them..having carried my babies I have known when the school was going to call telling me one was sick, my husband and I both feel when they will wake up upset or with nightmares, and other such similar things.

Call it what you want, but there is a bond between identical twins (I don't have fraternals, can't comment on that), and a bond between parents and children. The twins bond is absolutely amazing.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:37 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,838,591 times
To put it in layman's terms, identical twins are one person in two bodies. Of course they would share a special bond.

I used to work with a girl who was a twin (identical), her sister was pregnant and lived several states away. When she went into pre-term labor, my office mate suddenly doubled over in severe pain. We had to take her to the ER thinking it was her appendix. Nope, just a 5lb nephew. As soon as the baby was born, her pain stopped instantly.

Other siblings can also share a similar bond though not as strong as can parents and children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal