Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:04 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times

Advertisements

I have a good friend who used to be a police chief, and we talked constantly about all sorts of things. In a neighboring jurisdiction, there was a 9 year old girl who had been abducted. I told my friend in passing that I saw her in a dream, lying face-up, in the sunlight, still with her glasses on, with shallow filthy water that stank flowing around her. Two days later she was found in a deep drainage ditch, exactly as I told him. He did not say where he had received his 'information' from, simply relayed it to the neighboring police chief.

I called my daughter out of the blue (we call each other very rarely, it's mostly emails and FB)because I felt somehow that she was upset, and she was crying with rage. She was furious because she had caught her boyfriend of two years cheating. This was totally unexpected. Another time, late at night, she was in a bad car wreck (the car was totalled but she was only slightly injured) and I picked up the phone when she called from the scene and said, instead of my usual "Hello, sweetie!" - "Where are you, and are you OK?" I had known that something was wrong, but didn't know what, and was already dressed and ready to go get her. It floored her.

I have been known to suddenly sit down, shaking, almost pass out, for no apparent reason; and inevitably it will come across the news about a severe earthquake or the Japan tsunami. It is as if I can hear thousands of people screaming...

I avoid crowds, drama queens, and hysteriacs for this reason; their overexpressed heightened feelings and emotions are literally painful to me.

Does it happen all of the time? No. Does it happen every time something 'bad' happens? Definitely not. Do I think I am some kind of psychic predictor, a litmus tape or a lightning rod that draws or tests these things? No. Do I make a big deal out of them? No. I am a part of the human biology, the Cro-Magnon base of DNA that occasionally is impacted by another impact on another part of that DNA. I am more sensitive to my children's emotions because we share more DNA. It is based on science, but is not a reliable response because it is not consistent. Therefore it is unscientific; a fluke, something that happens intermittently and inconsistently. I do not base my life on it, nor do I try to promote it as something that makes me 'special' or 'prescient' or anything else. I believe we all have the capability to a lesser or greater extent, due to the fact that we all share DNA, and that there are outside environmental influences that can enhance, change, or reduce the impacts to our psyches.

In other words, it ain't nothin special. It can't be qualified or quantified, it is simply another anomaly in science.

I'll believe I am psychic when I can win the lottery - six times in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I think we might have had a similar thread at some point, SCGranny. As you suggest, it is just part of life. As I've come across more of the "that can't be possible!!!" people, I've come to notice a really deep need in many of them to be able to explain EVERYTHING in some fashion, whether the purported reason is highly scientific or simplistic or an obvious cop-out. Sometimes just saying "I don't know how this works" acts as a trigger. I love to figure out how things work myself, but sometimes one just has to shrug shoulders and say "beats me, I've seen it or experienced it, but don't know how it works."

Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I have a good friend who used to be a police chief, and we talked constantly about all sorts of things. In a neighboring jurisdiction, there was a 9 year old girl who had been abducted. I told my friend in passing that I saw her in a dream, lying face-up, in the sunlight, still with her glasses on, with shallow filthy water that stank flowing around her. Two days later she was found in a deep drainage ditch, exactly as I told him. He did not say where he had received his 'information' from, simply relayed it to the neighboring police chief.

I called my daughter out of the blue (we call each other very rarely, it's mostly emails and FB)because I felt somehow that she was upset, and she was crying with rage. She was furious because she had caught her boyfriend of two years cheating. This was totally unexpected. Another time, late at night, she was in a bad car wreck (the car was totalled but she was only slightly injured) and I picked up the phone when she called from the scene and said, instead of my usual "Hello, sweetie!" - "Where are you, and are you OK?" I had known that something was wrong, but didn't know what, and was already dressed and ready to go get her. It floored her.

I have been known to suddenly sit down, shaking, almost pass out, for no apparent reason; and inevitably it will come across the news about a severe earthquake or the Japan tsunami. It is as if I can hear thousands of people screaming...

I avoid crowds, drama queens, and hysteriacs for this reason; their overexpressed heightened feelings and emotions are literally painful to me.

Does it happen all of the time? No. Does it happen every time something 'bad' happens? Definitely not. Do I think I am some kind of psychic predictor, a litmus tape or a lightning rod that draws or tests these things? No. Do I make a big deal out of them? No. I am a part of the human biology, the Cro-Magnon base of DNA that occasionally is impacted by another impact on another part of that DNA. I am more sensitive to my children's emotions because we share more DNA. It is based on science, but is not a reliable response because it is not consistent. Therefore it is unscientific; a fluke, something that happens intermittently and inconsistently. I do not base my life on it, nor do I try to promote it as something that makes me 'special' or 'prescient' or anything else. I believe we all have the capability to a lesser or greater extent, due to the fact that we all share DNA, and that there are outside environmental influences that can enhance, change, or reduce the impacts to our psyches.

In other words, it ain't nothin special. It can't be qualified or quantified, it is simply another anomaly in science.

I'll believe I am psychic when I can win the lottery - six times in a row.
Maybe that's what 'psychic' is, a sense which is perfectly natural but largely unused. Once upon a time we had a much more tuned sense of smell because it helped find food and sense danger. Now, some retain it but generally it has been dulled but we still smell things, often without noticing it.

If you think about it, back in the time of early man, life was trudge on and search for food, do survival things, or emergency. The ability to sense (However the sensing is done) the emergency would be invaluable. If one in the tribe could, they would listen. Things with survival value get passed on. Things without get lost.

The survival value is still there, we just don't pay attention. The people that felt so uneasy about the plane trip and died are probably the majority, dismissing it, where the ones who trusted their sense and stayed on the ground the minority who culturally chose to heed it. The sense remains, but you can shut it out just like we do so much of the stresses today, since we have to. We aren't built for that level so we can block them.

But just because its not dramatic, like with SCGranny and her daughter, it doesn't mean to ignore it. That it happens so commonly and so often has a reason should mean to listen and worry about why later.

I'm very intuitive with animals. I literally felt my dogs death when she was hit by a car and I was at work. Another dog got lost, and my son and I walked down a few blocks, both sure it was the right direction, and I felt her like an arrow pointing at me. We get to a street, and both knew it was the right one, and she was sleeping in a cool house where people had found her. The day my mom died, I was on my way to class and passed the phone booth, and had an overwhelming need to call. I missed two classes, but talked a couple hours. I don't know why it happened but I'm greatful since she died maybe 20 minutes after I got home. That two hours is treasured. We found all the insurance papers sitting by her bed too, as if she knew, and I think she'd been looking for the will. I believe she wanted one last talk and called out through what was an intensly close connection between us. If I'd ignored it there would have been no finality to her passing.

My friend who's mother had cancer and I hadn't been talking as much, and I suddenly knew her mother was gone. I texted her if she was all right, and she said her mother had died a little while before. That this sort of thing happens so often says something is out there, and operates as a kind of communication when links are made. Why must it be proven down to the last detail to believe it exists?

My ex was sleeping with the first shuttle disastor happened, but woke into this dream, hearing voices screaming to let them in, pounding on the front door. It was a very vivid dream, and he could hear fire and feel heat, and something told him he dared not. They pounded for a few minutes, the screams died, the heat faded and he woke, turned on the tv and the shuttle had just shattered. It shook him so much he couldn't watch anymore.

Dna research had been toppling many ideas of how it works since the human genome project. We and a lizard have about the same number of genes, not the huge number to control all the specialized things in us. There is a heirarchy of genes, those that do, those that program and turn on and off, and those that control. All that 'junk' dna is far far from it. We are just begining to really explore how it works, and can't say this gene controls or doesn't extra sensory perception anymore since we know that genes get reprogrammed as needed.

The Nova documentary "What Darwin didn't Know" is about this and avalible online. What is interesting is that he saw a process, saw evidence of it and could describe it in detail. He also admitted that he didn't know how the mechanics inside us worked. We actually didn't until the recent research after the genome project and its raised more questions than answers about the mechanics of life and the incredable possibilites we hadn't ever considered before.

Personally I don't consider it 'extra' just ignored and think we need to redefine our idea of what is 'natural' amid the complexity unfolding as we look deeper inside what makes us who we are.

Last edited by nightbird47; 01-02-2012 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 09:55 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
I can say I have experienced and witnessed many events. I have no doubt there is far more than what our minds can conceive of. I have had ghosts in more than one of my houses. I have experienced some very spiritual people that could clearly read my thoughts. I have sensed and created things in my world that aren't of the norm.

Can I prove it? not really but it is my reality none the less. ... When the house phone called my cell phone I did have a witness to that one .... no one was in the house, the house phone did not have my number programmed, and no phones were off the hook,no one visible was in the home.... What can I say it is a playful ghost, but I like having them around... just wish they would tell me the winning powerball numbers :-)

Old 01-05-2012, 05:23 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Here is a link to a 2008 forum on making clouds disappear: http://forum.davidicke.com/archive/index.php/t-18004.html

I tried this myself and think that it might be possible. The clouds, that I concentrate on, disappear - while surrounding clouds stay and sometimes grow. Can I prove it - no. Can I do it every time - no. My best results are with the smaller clouds. One could easily argue that it is natural for these clouds to dissipate. I would also not want to use this as proof of the paranormal.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I try to evaluate my extrasensory experiences as a scientist. I do not dismiss my own precognition as a hallucination nor do I dismiss the results of Rekki healing. I have sensed both. I do not deny them because they are “scientifically impossible”.

The problem is I do not know how to isolate each phenomenon so I can manipulate only one variable at a time. I also do not know how to quantify the phenomena so the resulting data can be investigated by mathematical means. Without being able to use these methods I cannot scientifically describe the phenomena in a "scientific" manner.

However when my precognition tells me to stop the car NOW, I stop. The effect is consistent because every time I do there would have been a crash if I had ignored the warning. I have also experienced a Rekki healer and have felt and been much better after the session than before. As I said, I do not know how this works but I am not going to ignore either the warnings or the healing.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I try to evaluate my extrasensory experiences as a scientist. I do not dismiss my own precognition as a hallucination nor do I dismiss the results of Rekki healing. I have sensed both. I do not deny them because they are “scientifically impossible”.

The problem is I do not know how to isolate each phenomenon so I can manipulate only one variable at a time. I also do not know how to quantify the phenomena so the resulting data can be investigated by mathematical means. Without being able to use these methods I cannot scientifically describe the phenomena in a "scientific" manner.

However when my precognition tells me to stop the car NOW, I stop. The effect is consistent because every time I do there would have been a crash if I had ignored the warning. I have also experienced a Rekki healer and have felt and been much better after the session than before. As I said, I do not know how this works but I am not going to ignore either the warnings or the healing.
There is always The Great Randy Challenge: http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html Quote: “we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event.” I forget when he first made that challenge - it has been in place for many years. I also presume that scientific evidence required to claim the prize is considerable.

During the cold war with the old USSR; there were many claims on both sides of paranormal ability - nobody wanted the other side to have the upper hand. I remember many accounts of (supposedly) successful remote viewing. I also remember tales of Soviet telekinesis. However, because of the tension between our countries; we really don’t know how much of this was merely hype?

I do remember a few public test of the paranormal. Such as: Magicians that asked their audience, including the TV audience, to concentrate on something - like a card or number. I always thought that the cloud disappearing would be a great public test for an area that was having flooding. We would really need a test that many participated and the results were visible.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There is always The Great Randy Challenge: http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html Quote: “we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event.” I forget when he first made that challenge - it has been in place for many years. I also presume that scientific evidence required to claim the prize is considerable.

During the cold war with the old USSR; there were many claims on both sides of paranormal ability - nobody wanted the other side to have the upper hand. I remember many accounts of (supposedly) successful remote viewing. I also remember tales of Soviet telekinesis. However, because of the tension between our countries; we really don’t know how much of this was merely hype?

I do remember a few public test of the paranormal. Such as: Magicians that asked their audience, including the TV audience, to concentrate on something - like a card or number. I always thought that the cloud disappearing would be a great public test for an area that was having flooding. We would really need a test that many participated and the results were visible.
I have watched some of the programs Randi has done, bought his major book and read through it a couple of times. He has done a tremendous amount of good in helping to debunk the charlatans that attempt to use the unusual and magic for fun and profit. To that extent, I applaud him.

On the other hand, as I continued to learn about him and read his "cases", it became obvious that he had become SO jaded, and SO egocentric (one has to be when fighting charlatans) that he would not see sweet Jesus if he walked on the water in his bathtub in front of him.

There most certainly HAVE been "tipping" tests, where the random fall of objects into two piles have resulted in bias beyond the results expected by probability. Homeopathy, one of his irritation points, has definitively been PROVEN in double blind testing.

In short, the sheer religious fervor of his quest has become closer to that of Torquemada than to cool detachment of a rational scientist. Because of that, he regrettably must be viewed with the same skepticism that he reserves for his charlatan counterparts.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM

harry chickpea,

That was why I tossed in my disclaimer: “I also presume that scientific evidence required to claim the prize is considerable.”

I also don’t trust the ghost hunter programs on TV. Anytime that money is at stake; the research has a blemish - regardless if it is pro or con.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:40 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
First, I'm a very logic-driven person. I don't believe in the supernatural and it amuses me when friends or family talk about 'experiences' that are easily proven to have very mundane explanations.

As an example, my mother had an experience where she wasn't sleeping, but saw glowing men standing around her bed. She felt a feeling of deep peace as the men chanted 'we are here, and we love."

Sleep paralysis. It's something that occurs when you are between sleeping and waking- you are 'awake' while your body is paralyzed in preparation for sleep (so you don't act out your dreams and hurt yourself). It's a gateway to lucid dreaming and out of body experiences, and is very likely to be responsible for many cases of alien abduction. It's also the cause behind legends of the 'old hag' that steals your breath in your sleep and legends of succubus and incubus. It is common with sleep paralysis to feel intense fear or peace, a sensation that you can't breath, a great pressure on your chest, and to have very vivid hallucinations- which often take the form of shadowy figures around you or sitting on you. Many times it runs in families, and I know what she experienced because it happens to me all the time. But if you don't know what's happening- it's terrifying and so easy to mistake for something more.

All of this said, I did have one experience that I can't explain. I was young and playing upstairs in my room. I suddenly had an intense feeling of dread and horror. I calmly walked downstairs and told my mother that an animal was about to be hurt. Less then 30 seconds later, a kitten was hit by a car outside our house and killed.

Did I somehow hear a faint noise outside, like maybe the kitten was crying and I didn't realize I'd heard it? Or was there an actual supernatural thing going on there? I really can't say..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal