U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM

2,740 posts, read 8,207,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Why do so many so-called Evangelical Christians show so much disdain for Catholics?

It's because many evangelical Christians believe that the RCC is the "harlot church" referred to in the Bible. (Rev 17, and Rev 17:7 in particular: "7 hills" refers to Rome, and the church founded in Rome)

I'm not saying this is MY belief, just saying this is what many believe. I'll refrain from posting what I think about this...everybody should research and come to a determination for themselves, and not go by what others believe.

Bud
Rate this post positively

Old 01-10-2012, 02:55 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,419,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Sorry, I did not watch the show. I was just answering the question as to why ppl speak against the Catholics and I said I have no problem with Catholics themselves [you know the little ppl who sit in the pews on Sunday] just with the RCC teachings [don't even know if these were addressed in the show] that are contrary to Scripture.
Except that they are not "contrary to Scripture." That part of your post is a fallacy.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:59 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,419,085 times
Quote:
Sorry, I did not watch the show. I was just answering the question as to why ppl speak against the Catholics and I said I have no problem with Catholics themselves [you know the little ppl who sit in the pews on Sunday] just with the RCC teachings [don't even know if these were addressed in the show] that are contrary to Scripture.
My bad. That was really for the op. And anyone who makes anti-Catholic comments about the show and its subject(s) without seeing it too.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 PM

11,752 posts, read 7,633,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
It's because many evangelical Christians believe that the RCC is the "harlot church" referred to in the Bible. (Rev 17, and Rev 17:7 in particular: "7 hills" refers to Rome, and the church founded in Rome)

I'm not saying this is MY belief, just saying this is what many believe. I'll refrain from posting what I think about this...everybody should research and come to a determination for themselves, and not go by what others believe.

Bud

Perhaps the problem has to do with folks that fail to understand that the bible is allegoric and therefore subject to interpretation.

In any event anti-catholicism seems to be widely accepted in many circles. It is hard to observe the acrimony when it comes from so-called evangelicals.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 PM

11,752 posts, read 7,633,082 times
Quote:
First of all religion and being a follower of Christ are two different things. How do I know this? I use to be very religious, [I was a Catholic, BTW til God called me to 'come out'] but didn't 'know' God I just 'knew of Him.'

Following Christ leads you to know God/Christ on a personal level. It teaches you to allow God to be the pilot. It teaches you to totally surrender to Him. It teaches you to totally trust in, rely upon, have faith in, take as a model and depend on God/Christ. [defintion of the word believe, BTW].

I did not know I was to even do these things while I was religious. I also didn't read/study the written Word and know to be a Berean.

Becoming a follower of Christ changed my life!!!!!!

ETA: following Christ [instead of men's teachings] helped me to understand the Scriptures better. It helped me to sort out which is allergory and which isn't. It taught me the purpose for the Figures of Speech used in the Scriptures. Which, BTW, actually help one understand things better.
I agree with you. Christianity is not a religion. Catholicism is a religion and as imperfect as ALL religions. However, religion is sometimes a necessary vehicle to nourish the spirit. I am glad you are on your own and doing well with God.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:40 AM

13,856 posts, read 24,137,949 times
Quote:
Thanks, that is nice to know.

But, many give the impression that says "My religion is better than yours".
In fairness I, as a Catholic, certainly believe Catholicism is better than Protestantism. I don't think Protestants feeling the same, but with Protestantism as better than Catholicism, is upsetting to me if that's as far as it goes. It makes sense to me that a Protestant would think it's in some way better than Catholicism. Or at the very least "better for them."

However I don't think of Protestant churches as conspiratorial, creepy, or outright bad. We share enough values that there is much good in them I'd think. And I think most Protestants would say that Catholic churches also agree on much that is good and that we're not bad people. Still the small minority of Protestants who make Catholics seem like a creepy Medieval movie or a monstrous conspiracy do bother me. That's uncharitable. (Same with Catholics who just say Sola-Scriptura is "evil" or that Protestants all go to Hell)

However I mostly feel they can think Catholicism is incorrect as long as they are tolerant and open to hearing our opinions.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:43 AM

31,569 posts, read 17,293,976 times
Quote:
Why do so many so-called Evangelical Christians show so much disdain for Catholics?

I would think that sort of behavior is not Christian like.
Because according to Jack Chic, the biggest opponent of Catholocism, the RC Church is the ***** of Babylon of Revelations...

Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks, that is nice to know.

But, many give the impression that says "My religion is better than yours".

Lining up with scripture is difficult because the bible has too much allegory. Why not accept that some Christians do not interpret the bible in the same manner as fundamentalists?
Because Peter said the Scripture is not open to individual interpretation....

Old 01-11-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
I think one must go back to Martin Luther and the Reformation and that crowd to see what the reasons were...I would say since then it has gotten all muddled up regarding the RCC...Fact is that Luther's Protestantism was not much different from the RCC but in certain things... Here is a good place to start if you would like to research it further, but it is Wikipedia after all - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*****_o...n_(historicism)

Old 01-11-2012, 02:25 AM

889 posts, read 712,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
In fairness I, as a Catholic, certainly believe Catholicism is better than Protestantism. I don't think Protestants feeling the same, but with Protestantism as better than Catholicism, is upsetting to me if that's as far as it goes. It makes sense to me that a Protestant would think it's in some way better than Catholicism. Or at the very least "better for them."

However I don't think of Protestant churches as conspiratorial, creepy, or outright bad. We share enough values that there is much good in them I'd think. And I think most Protestants would say that Catholic churches also agree on much that is good and that we're not bad people. Still the small minority of Protestants who make Catholics seem like a creepy Medieval movie or a monstrous conspiracy do bother me. That's uncharitable. (Same with Catholics who just say Sola-Scriptura is "evil" or that Protestants all go to Hell)

However I mostly feel they can think Catholicism is incorrect as long as they are tolerant and open to hearing our opinions.
Sola Scriptura IS evil. The chaos that is now Christianity is a DIRECT result from that philosophy. What could be more evil than something that causes the division of Christians. Christ wanted all of us to become perfectly one.

John 17:20-23
20 "I do not pray for these only, but also for those who believe in me through their word,
21 that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 The glory which thou hast given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one,
23 I in them and thou in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that thou hast sent me and hast loved them even as thou hast loved me

The fact that Sola Scriptura causes division, permits me to say that it goes against Christ or is "anti-Christ". Term seem familiar?

You just prefer to candy coat it. But we've gone down this road before. It's positions like yours that lead to confusion. I think it's pretty black and white.

And oh, not all protestants go to hell. Nor do all Catholics go to heaven. I simply do not know. That's for God to decide.

Last edited by GoodToBeHome; 01-11-2012 at 02:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.