Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:57 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

There's probably been a thread asking, 'having you ever had a near death experience?'

Actually I was going to exclude THAT type of NDE - shining lights, voices, angelic choirs, feeling like you don't want to return, but I'll lump it in.

First off,

if you've ever truly come close to death, or 100% been convinced you were going to die, what sort of thoughts were swirling through your head? Were you 100% just focused on survival, did you think of family, of the afterlife, of your life...anything at all.

Last year I became convinced my death was imminent. It was an extremely stressful situation, and I collapsed and fainted a couple of times from it. I barely had appetite, couldn't sleep at all, and was constantly sweaty. I thought a lot about the nothingness that awaited me - I suppose it revealed to me how weak my religious faith is. Anyway since then I guess it's made me appreciate life a bit more, but now and then I get PTSD. I thought of what a tawdry end to my life this would be, of my parents grieving (hopefully), how it was so weird I was going to die in a foreign country, what would happen (would by corpse be flown back?).

I was wandering the streets of New York at about 2am, before I stumbled into the emergency room of the hospital. I felt my throat close up and it difficult to breathe but it turned out it was a panic attack, still at the time it was a huge deal. I remember just slumping down by a sidewalk along one of the avenues just off 42nd street waiting for the 'moment' before I hailed the taxi...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/22892057-post133.html

Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
if you've ever truly come close to death, or 100% been convinced you were going to die, what sort of thoughts were swirling through your head? Were you 100% just focused on survival, did you think of family, of the afterlife, of your life...anything at all.
During the '68 Tet Offensive in Vietnam there were 18 of us about to be overrun by an overwhelming force of VietCong. I looked around at the guys with me and thought "This must be how it felt that last day at the Alamo." and then I reflected on the irony of the situation: I didn't know anyone on the other side and they didn't know me, there was no enmity between us, yet we both had agreed to play this game, that "I must kill him before he kills me." I was not a Christian at that time and had no thoughts of the afterlife. I just felt stupid that my life was going to end that way. I was 23.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
During the '68 Tet Offensive in Vietnam there were 18 of us about to be overrun by an overwhelming force of VietCong. I looked around at the guys with me and thought "This must be how it felt that last day at the Alamo." and then I reflected on the irony of the situation: I didn't know anyone on the other side and they didn't know me, there was no enmity between us, yet we both had agreed to play this game, that "I must kill him before he kills me." I was not a Christian at that time and had no thoughts of the afterlife. I just felt stupid that my life was going to end that way. I was 23.
Wow, I've seen videos of the Offensive and have visited Hue. Were you in Hue at the time?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Wow, I've seen videos of the Offensive and have visited Hue. Were you in Hue at the time?
No, I was at Vinh Long down in the Mekong Delta during Tet.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:53 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
I didn't see my life flash before my eyes, or anything like that, but things seem to be happening slowly.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
I probably wasn't really near death, but I thought I might be close.
I was choking. I was picturing myself in the middle of my kids sports fields. Being unconcious. Being stuck on a strecher and put in an EMT truck. Not knowing if I'd make it or not. I think my biggest concern was how everyone else (especially my kids) would feel about it.

Then when a few were coming to "help", I was thinking why are they walking so freaking SLOW?! Don't they know I could DIE?!

I probably wasn't as close to death as I thought, but it sure felt like it at the time!

After it was all over, it turned out to be kind of a funny story. I don't think I was scared, just kind of like "oh (insert word here) this could be it!"

Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I probably wasn't really near death, but I thought I might be close.
I was choking. I was picturing myself in the middle of my kids sports fields. Being unconcious. Being stuck on a strecher and put in an EMT truck. Not knowing if I'd make it or not. I think my biggest concern was how everyone else (especially my kids) would feel about it.

Then when a few were coming to "help", I was thinking why are they walking so freaking SLOW?! Don't they know I could DIE?!

I probably wasn't as close to death as I thought, but it sure felt like it at the time!

After it was all over, it turned out to be kind of a funny story. I don't think I was scared, just kind of like "oh (insert word here) this could be it!"
Damn you gave me a bit of a fright, when I saw the word 'choking.' Recently I've developed this fear from reading OCD forums. It just struck me as such a random, easy way to die.

I'm sure most choking doesn't result in death, but the idea that you could choke on a piece of meat scares the devil out of me!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Yes. I left my body and could see from outside my body everything that was going on. My consciousness was hovering in the corner of the ceiling. My life didn't flash before my eyes or anything like that, I was just aware of my consciousness being separate from and outside my physical body, and having access to vision like I've never had before. I wasn't literally near death but I felt like I was going to die.

Completely unrelated--my ex admitted to me she almost killed me a few times (with violence), but I don't remember the incidents for myself. My roommate confirmed it, but I must have blocked it out consciously cause I don't remember--at least not traditional memories. I get flashbacks at night where I feel like I'm going to die, but they are very fragmented and I can't connect the flashbacks to the particular incidents. I can't make sense of what's going on but I can feel myself being choked and hit with a lot of force.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Yes. I left my body and could see from outside my body everything that was going on. My consciousness was hovering in the corner of the ceiling. My life didn't flash before my eyes or anything like that, I was just aware of my consciousness being separate from and outside my physical body, and having access to vision like I've never had before. I wasn't literally near death but I felt like I was going to die.

Completely unrelated--my ex admitted to me she almost killed me a few times (with violence), but I don't remember the incidents for myself. My roommate confirmed it, but I must have blocked it out consciously cause I don't remember--at least not traditional memories. I get flashbacks at night where I feel like I'm going to die, but they are very fragmented and I can't connect the flashbacks to the particular incidents. I can't make sense of what's going on but I can feel myself being choked and hit with a lot of force.
Wow nim I'm pretty speechless, you must live in a totally different world from most people....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal