U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 AM

12,408 posts, read 17,430,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Ed and Lorraine Warren - eNotes.com Reference

Lorraine says "they never charged for investigations" but "accepted donations for the cost of investigations"

Not to mention the income from their lectures, books, TV appearances, occult museum, ect... The Warrens made quite a comfortable living out of their work.

Deconstructing the Warrens and the Amityville Horror
I don't necessarily agree with their religion, but there is nothing wrong with making money from those who are capable and willing to pay. The great thing is that they would help people who could not afford to pay an exorbitant fee, unlike some in the metaphysical arena.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I doubt any of it was true, if the house was built on an Indian burial ground or some sacred site that could get the imagination going wild and it's been proven that hormonal changes in teenagers can trigger all types of hallucinations and the brain is also largely unknown territory. I've read that most hauntings involve teenagers.. wasn't it proven that Amityville's haunting was all a scam to get rich quick? It reminds me of all those mediums who charge people for their "gift" ...
and about the guy drowing with his manuscripts...maybe it was all fake(some fake stuff looks more real than the real stuff) and he knew he could never get away with it all ...he could have demolished his own boat and took his own life, stranger things have happened
Sexual energy is supposed to be a very powerful force, which is why it is used in some forms of magic.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Depends on the drug. If it's a mind altering drug like LSD or the aforementioned mushrooms I guess it's possible to be in a sensitive and receptive state. If it's Liquor, Heroin or other downers quite the opposite. Ronnie is interesting because he was into everything including hard drugs like Heroin. And at the time of the murders he was a self confessed Heroin addict.
Thats not what I was taught about liquor at all.
I was taught that negative entities sometimes frequented places where people drank a lot just because drink dulled your natural guard.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:56 PM

5,473 posts, read 10,197,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Thats not what I was taught about liquor at all.
I was taught that negative entities sometimes frequented places where people drank a lot just because drink dulled your natural guard.
Yes, liquor and some drugs dulles your guard but also makes you less anxious and boosts your self-esteem. A protective shield maybe.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 04-28-2012 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 05:14 PM

13,682 posts, read 22,327,140 times
Regarding the rifles shots not being heard by neighbors .... I can come home and hear the birds chirping sweetly, and open to the door to Motorhead blasting.... and I can't hear it from outside.

And I've had a fatal shooting happen close to our home, on the street outside.... and didn't hear a thing.

It's totally in the realm of possibility that no one heard anything.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:16 PM

8,399 posts, read 19,396,911 times
In early September, the would be author of this book, a life long boater, fisherman, former lifeguard and college swim team member, took his boat out on the Peconic Bay. He knew these waters "like the back of his hand" As was his custom, he intended to alternate between fishing and writing. He had the manuscript, notes, statements and original documents with him. In short, everything that backed up his case.
His body washed up on shore. There was no evidence of fowl play, and the coroner ruled the death "an accidental drowning", this from a man who was an avid swimmer and boater, and had lived on that coast all of his life. He was healthy, 42 years old with no medical problems. People who knew him said he could have swam to shore.

Gee, I grew up on Long Island also & I just don't remember this story at all. That's not to say I don't believe it, just that I never heard of it & I have read the newspaper everyday of my life for the past 50 years. I'm going to Google it to see what I can find out.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-29-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Regarding the rifles shots not being heard by neighbors .... I can come home and hear the birds chirping sweetly, and open to the door to Motorhead blasting.... and I can't hear it from outside.

And I've had a fatal shooting happen close to our home, on the street outside.... and didn't hear a thing.

It's totally in the realm of possibility that no one heard anything.
Yes it is. But interesting nevertheless. Usually the dogs go nuts and we are talking 8 rifle shots in a quiet suburban area with the houses located close to each other.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 PM

8,825 posts, read 6,692,369 times
if Defeo was doing drugs and also had some belief in the paranormal and felt possessed, the combination could have driven him over the edge. As far as hearing the shots, some houses muffle sounds better than others and winddirection may have something to do with it. People might sleep sounder during the week when they're tired from working and school, don't know if the murders happened on a weekday or not...who knows...there could be logical explanations for all of it.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:45 PM

Yea, Ronnie was nuts and on drugs. In a video I posted earlier in this thread he said, "I got to them before they got to me".

Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 PM

20,834 posts, read 26,209,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
In early September, the would be author of this book, a life long boater, fisherman, former lifeguard and college swim team member, took his boat out on the Peconic Bay. He knew these waters "like the back of his hand" As was his custom, he intended to alternate between fishing and writing. He had the manuscript, notes, statements and original documents with him. In short, everything that backed up his case.
His body washed up on shore. There was no evidence of fowl play, and the coroner ruled the death "an accidental drowning", this from a man who was an avid swimmer and boater, and had lived on that coast all of his life. He was healthy, 42 years old with no medical problems. People who knew him said he could have swam to shore.

Gee, I grew up on Long Island also & I just don't remember this story at all. That's not to say I don't believe it, just that I never heard of it & I have read the newspaper everyday of my life for the past 50 years. I'm going to Google it to see what I can find out.

I grew up there as well. I am not sure how well publicized the event was, at the time. I only knew that I knew this man and he was best known as a school teacher.

The book that he was writing was not public knowledge. My aunt and uncle knew of his interest, but they were exceptionally open people, former Greenwich Village Beat Nicks.

The man's obituary was innocuous.

His interest was not public. He was first a school teacher, family, community and church member.

Not many people outside of his friends and his family were aware of anything unconventional about this man.

I am not surprised that you never heard a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal