U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 PM

11 posts, read 20,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Could there be a middle ground? Could the Lutz's have exaggerated their experiences to make for a more sensational book and movie, but still have had unnatural experiences in that home?
The book was definitely exaggerated by author Jay Anson, and the film - again amping things up - they had no control over.

I've never seen evidence of them hyping things up themselves... their verbal accounts were pretty much the same over the years.

Quote:
I thought the asking price was 1.5 million?
It was actually 1.15 million, but many people misread it as 1.5 !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 PM

20,821 posts, read 26,123,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
The book was definitely exaggerated by author Jay Anson, and the film - again amping things up - they had no control over.

I've never seen evidence of them hyping things up themselves... their verbal accounts were pretty much the same over the years.

It was actually 1.15 million, but many people misread it as 1.5 !

I was one of those. Most likely didn't have my reading glasses on.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 AM

5,473 posts, read 10,180,516 times
Quote:
Not all people who have lived in the home since the Lutzes left have had a peaceful time of it.
Because the owners of the house since then are a matter of public record, I am a bit hesitant to say anything about a particular family, but I have heard, from sources I deem reliable, that one family in particular was involved in "black magic" or "Satanic worship."

I have said from my first post that I do not think that the Lutz family was "squeaky clean" from the beginning. The De Feo family was not either.

Could there be a middle ground? Could the Lutz's have exaggerated their experiences to make for a more sensational book and movie, but still have had unnatural experiences in that home?
I think that many accounts of real life events, including but not limited to the paranormal, are exaggerated, or dramatized to some degree. That does not render them false.

I have said it before and I will say it again, no "normal" person, by any definition that I have would want to live on that property after those murders. Not one.
And anyone who purchases the house, is in some way open to the notoriety that is attached to that home. There will always be cars that drive slowly past your house, gawkers, out of town people taking pictures, kids on Halloween, and worse.

I would prefer to live in a home where no murder took place and that is not a household word.
Any normal person would. Further, a house where an entire family was murdered, including children and teenagers, is not in my estimation a suitable family home. I don't care what the price is, I would not ever be comfortable living there, paranormal activity and events aside.

I am curious - If any of you were offered the opportunity to live in that house, mortgage free for a year - would you take it? If you had children would that be OK to you?
Ricky Kasso and his satanic followers allegedly held a seance inside the house.

Children or not, absolutely not!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 AM

5,473 posts, read 10,180,516 times
Quote:
My question was not if you would spend the night, or investigate activity there. It was would you want to LIVE there, call the place your home?

I have visited paranormal places and a few of the most haunted places in the world. But I certainly would not buy one, or move my family into one.

Especially a place where a family was killed.

Indeed, a friend tried to get a tour of the Amityville house and I was interested in going. They would not give tours without a letter of pre-qualification from a mortgage company, or I would have tagged along.
I'm impressed. I've walked down many "mean streets" but there is just something about that house that scares me to death.

IMO the excellent music by Lalo Schifrin contributed alot to the eerie feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yav2eKnYMm0

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 05-09-2012 at 02:50 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 AM

11 posts, read 20,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Ricky Kasso and his satanic followers allegedly held a seance inside the house.
The house was occupied at the time, so they held it outside!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM

10,062 posts, read 10,624,445 times
I read the book more than once back in the late 1970s when I believed in such things. Now I don't.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 PM

10,062 posts, read 10,624,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
There was no evidence of fowl play...

Well, that exonerates the birds!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,406,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Well, that exonerates the birds!
I was in a county park once that had a sign: 'Please don't feed the water foul.'
Do you believe in no psychic phenomena at all, or just hauntings?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM

651 posts, read 640,407 times
I don't have the time to look it up right now but I remember reading that the publisher or someone connected with the situaion confessed to it being a hox. Also no one who has lived in that house since has never reported any problems. A movie and book deal can go a long way to make people see ghosts.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 AM

7,201 posts, read 13,026,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoooka View Post
I don't have the time to look it up right now but I remember reading that the publisher or someone connected with the situaion confessed to it being a hox. Also no one who has lived in that house since has never reported any problems. A movie and book deal can go a long way to make people see ghosts.
Plus the priest in the story denied the entire experience. He knew the family but never saw anything unusual at their house. In one account he had never even been at the house. I saw the house as I also lived in NYC until the late 70s. The neighbors are close enough to have heard or seen something when the family lived there, yet not one did.

Before the wife died she admitted it was all BS to escape their suffocating bills........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal