U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Yellow cottage, green doors.
16,537 posts, read 14,467,412 times
Reputation: 73342

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't know. But I do know, I would not live in that house if you paid me and gave it to me for free.


Oh I sure would! It's a very nice house and it's got the canal right behind it! I've been there many times. Nothing spooky looking about it or anything...though I guess it would creep me out because of the murders.
Nah...I guess I wouldn't live there, either!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
21,497 posts, read 27,332,979 times
Reputation: 58481
Would not live there if it was given to me free of charge or if I was paid to live there.

It is a hard fact that an entire family was killed there. That is enough for me. As a former Long Islander, who grew up about 15 minutes from the house, I know people who know people who have had experience with the house.

Something happened to the Lutz family.

Something supernatural. It won't happen to every family who lives there and no matter how much subsequent owners deny problems with the house, I would not personally live there.

I look forward to seeing Danny Lutz account of living there.

The Lutz' family was troubled and had pre teen kids, as did the troubled De Feo family. Families who have not had issues with the house have to my knowledge, had no children or at least none living there.

I think you'd have to be a little bit crazy to take children to live in a house where a whole family was slaughtered.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 02:34 PM
 
Location: US
5,140 posts, read 11,873,869 times
Reputation: 5361
Since getting absolutely freaked out by those movies as a kid...I have to say I would love to try a few nights...just to see if Jodi was staring in the windows. LOL

I would buy a murder house though just because I know I could get a better deal on it if people were avoiding it for that reason. I think properties like that just need a bunch of positive energy to balance out the negative.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 PM
 
14,290 posts, read 23,152,796 times
Reputation: 26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Would not live there if it was given to me free of charge or if I was paid to live there.

It is a hard fact that an entire family was killed there. That is enough for me. As a former Long Islander, who grew up about 15 minutes from the house, I know people who know people who have had experience with the house.

Something happened to the Lutz family.

Something supernatural. It won't happen to every family who lives there and no matter how much subsequent owners deny problems with the house, I would not personally live there.

I look forward to seeing Danny Lutz account of living there.

The Lutz' family was troubled and had pre teen kids, as did the troubled De Feo family. Families who have not had issues with the house have to my knowledge, had no children or at least none living there.

I think you'd have to be a little bit crazy to take children to live in a house where a whole family was slaughtered.
Here's my crazy take on hauntings -- bear with me. We have to take a side trip.

I'm a pretty darn good cook, and I have set of skills at my arsenal to pretty much tackle ANYTHING with no fear. I made a perfect Swiss Meringue icing for a homemade cake on the first time out. You basically have to hand whip egg whites as they cook and then beat in unsalted butter.

Anyhow -- I can't make a homemade biscuit to save my life. In all the years I've cooked -- since I was about 14 -- I try three or four times a year and each time I get something that resembles roofing tile. I wish I was kidding.

I sift the flour, I don't sift the flour. I knead I don't knead, I use cold butter and cut it in, I melt the butter and whisk it into cold the milk to glop up -- I've used shortening, self rising flour and all sorts of techniques that guarantee a good biscuit and I think in my life I have done it twice. And NOT in a row.

I think hauntings are like that. It takes the right ingredients, in the right order, at the right time done the right way and you get a haunting. If something is off, Resurrection Mary ain't showing up.

Does that mean I want to live in that house? No -- if the picture is accurate, it's a Dutch Colonial, and I hate Dutch Colonials. It's also a house that will always be *that house* with the negative notoriety around it, and who needs that? It will never be a happy home because of that.

But live in a house where a murder took place and no one cares about it? Because it was like a hundred years ago? I probably wouldn't even know. I'd go in and either like the house or not like the house. That would affect my decision. I don't think I have good "spidey sense"....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Sunny Bay Area, CA
1,566 posts, read 1,957,613 times
Reputation: 3277
Thank you Roosty, that was a very interesting article!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Sunny Bay Area, CA
1,566 posts, read 1,957,613 times
Reputation: 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Would not live there if it was given to me free of charge or if I was paid to live there.

It is a hard fact that an entire family was killed there. That is enough for me. As a former Long Islander, who grew up about 15 minutes from the house, I know people who know people who have had experience with the house.

Something happened to the Lutz family.

Something supernatural. It won't happen to every family who lives there and no matter how much subsequent owners deny problems with the house, I would not personally live there.

I look forward to seeing Danny Lutz account of living there.

The Lutz' family was troubled and had pre teen kids, as did the troubled De Feo family. Families who have not had issues with the house have to my knowledge, had no children or at least none living there.

I think you'd have to be a little bit crazy to take children to live in a house where a whole family was slaughtered.
I agree with these statements. I'd visit but never would I live there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 31,014,313 times
Reputation: 7295
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
I agree with these statements. I'd visit but never would I live there.
Nor would I make it my residence! I live on Long Island where the house is located. It sold for seven figures around two and a half years ago:

"Amityville Horror" House—Sold!: Gothamist

Quote:
If you had $1.15 million to spare on a lovely, redone Colonial home that happened to inspire the book, "The Amityville Horror," you're going to be disappointed. The so-called "Amityville Horror" house was just sold! Newsday reports that five-bedroom, three-and-a-half bath home went into contract this week; the buyers apparently "wanted to get on the water in a big, old classic house."
I don't care how nice it is. Still would give me the creeps too much to live in there!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 AM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
21,497 posts, read 27,332,979 times
Reputation: 58481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Here's my crazy take on hauntings -- bear with me. We have to take a side trip.

I'm a pretty darn good cook, and I have set of skills at my arsenal to pretty much tackle ANYTHING with no fear. I made a perfect Swiss Meringue icing for a homemade cake on the first time out. You basically have to hand whip egg whites as they cook and then beat in unsalted butter.

Anyhow -- I can't make a homemade biscuit to save my life. In all the years I've cooked -- since I was about 14 -- I try three or four times a year and each time I get something that resembles roofing tile. I wish I was kidding.

I sift the flour, I don't sift the flour. I knead I don't knead, I use cold butter and cut it in, I melt the butter and whisk it into cold the milk to glop up -- I've used shortening, self rising flour and all sorts of techniques that guarantee a good biscuit and I think in my life I have done it twice. And NOT in a row.

I think hauntings are like that. It takes the right ingredients, in the right order, at the right time done the right way and you get a haunting. If something is off, Resurrection Mary ain't showing up.

Does that mean I want to live in that house? No -- if the picture is accurate, it's a Dutch Colonial, and I hate Dutch Colonials. It's also a house that will always be *that house* with the negative notoriety around it, and who needs that? It will never be a happy home because of that.

But live in a house where a murder took place and no one cares about it? Because it was like a hundred years ago? I probably wouldn't even know. I'd go in and either like the house or not like the house. That would affect my decision. I don't think I have good "spidey sense"....

I love your analogy and it works for me! The right ingredients.

1. Children of the right age
2. The right time of year. November seems to do the trick.
3. troubled families drawn to troubled places.
4. both families were prone to violence
5. Butch De Feo hated is father. Danny Lutz his step father
there is more but those ingredients in that hose seem to stir something. Any thoughts?

Do you not like Dutch Colonials because of the house of because you think that something about thie style attracts negativity? I think someone up thread said something like that,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 AM
 
Location: Yellow cottage, green doors.
16,537 posts, read 14,467,412 times
Reputation: 73342
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
Thank you Roosty, that was a very interesting article!


You're most welcome, thank you, dear Goldy...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 AM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
21,497 posts, read 27,332,979 times
Reputation: 58481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I am a Christian and consider belief in such things as un-Christian, a violation of the First Commandment.

Many Christians believe in the devil and demons. Have you read the bible lately?

What you might mean is that extremely conservative Christians, Fundamentalist Protestants and Catholics ( yes there are Fundamentalist Catholics - Ed and Lorraine Warren are two. And they investigated the Amityville house and felt that there was evidence of a demonic infestation) believe that ALL "hauntings" are demonic in origin.

From that perspective, a house can not be "possessed" only people or animals can. However, a place can be demonized - evil, and draw demons. They will attempt to posses people if the attempt to inhabit it.

And no, I am not a Fundamentalist Christian. However, I have studied what they believe.

I hope you are not here to make fun of out beliefs, to "straighten us out" or to evangelize. None of those are encouraged by the mods here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top