U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM

12,920 posts, read 14,348,201 times

Advertisements

New theory:

Amityville house was haunted by the ghost of George Lutz.

Spirits are not bound by earthly time and space as we know it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 12:53 PM

13,590 posts, read 22,220,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love your analogy and it works for me! The right ingredients.

1. Children of the right age
2. The right time of year. November seems to do the trick.
3. troubled families drawn to troubled places.
4. both families were prone to violence
5. Butch De Feo hated is father. Danny Lutz his step father
there is more but those ingredients in that hose seem to stir something. Any thoughts?

Do you not like Dutch Colonials because of the house of because you think that something about thie style attracts negativity? I think someone up thread said something like that,
Yeah -- like draws like. Just like when you walk into a room and you've forgotten why you've gone in there, you go back to the beginning when you got up and retrace your steps and BANG! you remember. You recreate the scenario.

The funny thing about Dutch Colonials, it was my husband that said he didn't like them first. He thought they looked like barns, and who wants to live in a barn. They are sort of common where he grew up. And I love to look at houses online and started just taking those out of the equation, but started noticing that I didn't like them either. And in my quest for the *perfect house* -- of which there isn't any, really -- I've looked at hundreds.... I've discovered you really do buy your childhood. I'd love to have a ranch style house with a more open floor plan.

And with my bad knees single level living is where it's at!

I don't think Dutch Colonials are inherently evil, but I don't like faces in inanimate objects, and Dutch Colonials have that tendency because they have a lot of symmetry. There are also cars I don't like for the same reason...

Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 AM

734 posts, read 910,733 times
a few years ago i was reading up on this case. i read something where the lutz's invited spirits into their house because they were into transcedental meditation. (sorry i have no link. goole it) if that is the case, that would explain why the presence followed them across the country to california. they may have told someone else their story and came up with the idea to embellish it and make some money. i mean, they left everything behind and lost everything. who would just up and leave all of their possessions behind if they were not scared ****less?

as for the defeo case, i still don't understand how if someone is getting shot in the next room, you just lay there and don't try to run. you would think some bodies would have been found outside of the beds. everyone just lay there and let him shoot them? no struggles, no fights, no attempts to escape? that is really weird.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:32 AM

19,169 posts, read 22,852,228 times
Quote:
1. Children of the right age
2. The right time of year. November seems to do the trick.
3. troubled families drawn to troubled places.
4. both families were prone to violence
5. Butch De Feo hated is father. Danny Lutz his step father
there is more but those ingredients in that hose seem to stir something. Any thoughts?
In the case of the Amityville Horror, I think a more accurate list would be:

1. A horrific act of violence occurred in that house.
2. Subsequent owner (George Lutz) was an abusive nut case who dabbled in the occult.
3. Lutz got into a mortgage that was beyond his means.
4. Lutz decided to not only walk away from the mortgage but cash in on an invented ghost story.
5. Various shysters decided to help him and share in the money.

The haunting was a hoax. There is not one single shred of credible evidence that any of it happened. There is a lot of evidence that the whole thing was cooked up by Lutz and a few other people who did it solely for the purpose of making money. And it worked.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:01 AM

20,786 posts, read 26,065,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
In the case of the Amityville Horror, I think a more accurate list would be:

1. A horrific act of violence occurred in that house.
2. Subsequent owner (George Lutz) was an abusive nut case who dabbled in the occult.
3. Lutz got into a mortgage that was beyond his means.
4. Lutz decided to not only walk away from the mortgage but cash in on an invented ghost story.
5. Various shysters decided to help him and share in the money.

The haunting was a hoax. There is not one single shred of credible evidence that any of it happened. There is a lot of evidence that the whole thing was cooked up by Lutz and a few other people who did it solely for the purpose of making money. And it worked.

I think that all of those occurred. The ones that you listed. Lutz was bankrupt before he bought the house.

I also thing that the movie and the book were ....enhanced.

I also think that "like attracts like". Neither family had it all together. Both were actually falling apart. Violence was a part of both families.

Think about it. What kind of people would buy a house like that?

I worked with a woman who was married to a Ketcham. She told me some things.

All that I can say is that she and her husband, a Ketcham descendant,both thought that there was something wrong with that house and with that land.

I am from Long Island and I have passed the house many times. It's very pretty. In a lovely area. And a few years ago it was on the market for 1.5 million.
It sold for much less.

I do no believe that the haunting was a hoax. I do think that exaggeration was involved. As well as materialism, greed, violence and lies.

The Father of lies is the devil. The demon of greed is mammon.

The Ketchams bought the land after being expelled from New England for practicing devil worship. (not wicca) and the first Ketcham was an ordained minister.

It was a front.

Interestingly, the other two families also lived lives that were "fronts".

Old 08-09-2014, 02:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 30,375,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
a few years ago i was reading up on this case. i read something where the lutz's invited spirits into their house because they were into transcedental meditation. (sorry i have no link. goole it) if that is the case, that would explain why the presence followed them across the country to california. they may have told someone else their story and came up with the idea to embellish it and make some money. i mean, they left everything behind and lost everything. who would just up and leave all of their possessions behind if they were not scared ****less?

as for the defeo case, i still don't understand how if someone is getting shot in the next room, you just lay there and don't try to run. you would think some bodies would have been found outside of the beds. everyone just lay there and let him shoot them? no struggles, no fights, no attempts to escape? that is really weird.
Sleep paralysis could explain that:

Sleep paralysis

Quote:
Sleep Paralysis, from what I personally have come to understand, is a phenomenon that even science alone cannot seem to solve. Waking up in bed to find yourself totally paralyzed, is by far one of the worst feelings ever, and when you add the even more horrible feeling of being pinned down or watched, and you have a basic definition at best.

My own experiences began some many years ago as a child. I am now currently twenty-one, and will thankfully be celebrating my twenty-second birthday this spring. I can honestly remember the very first time I fell victim to Sleep Paralysis. I woke up in the early morning hours, probably around 3am or so and realized something was wrong, VERY WRONG. I could not move. Not only could I not move, but I swear that the room around me was illuminated, and I felt like someone was pushing down on me. I did not feel alone, and I felt a very unwanted presence around me.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 30,375,729 times
Quote:
I think that all of those occurred. The ones that you listed. Lutz was bankrupt before he bought the house.

I also thing that the movie and the book were ....enhanced.

I also think that "like attracts like". Neither family had it all together. Both were actually falling apart. Violence was a part of both families.

Think about it. What kind of people would buy a house like that?

I worked with a woman who was married to a Ketcham. She told me some things.

All that I can say is that she and her husband, a Ketcham descendant,both thought that there was something wrong with that house and with that land.

I am from Long Island and I have passed the house many times. It's very pretty. In a lovely area. And a few years ago it was on the market for 1.5 million.
It sold for much less.

I do no believe that the haunting was a hoax. I do think that exaggeration was involved. As well as materialism, greed, violence and lies.

The Father of lies is the devil. The demon of greed is mammon.

The Ketchams bought the land after being expelled from New England for practicing devil worship. (not wicca) and the first Ketcham was an ordained minister.

It was a front.

Interestingly, the other two families also lived lives that were "fronts".
I agree that the haunting was not totally a hoax and that the house attracted troubled occupants. Ronnie Defeo has been on TV a couple of times and has several stories. Now he claims his sister Dawn helped him in the murders and that his father is an evil spirit who is currently haunting the property. He is confused IMO and probably does not remember what happened and just wants to be on TV, thus the stories. This mass murder and haunting could theoretically have started with a possession of Ronnie and with sleep paralysis being induced on all the victims. I don't think it's all a hoax, especially with the Ketcham information.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:17 PM

19,169 posts, read 22,852,228 times
Defeo is a bald-faced liar who has changed his story again and again and again. The next time a psychic investigates the house, if they declare it was blue elves, Defeo will come out with a statement, "Yes! Oh, I remember it now! The blue elves! They made me do it!"

Old 08-15-2014, 08:49 PM

4,174 posts, read 3,063,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The only horror that occurred in that house was when the guy killed his family. It is shameful that people draw attention to themselves by making up stories which detract from the real tragedy.

Excellent post and the right answer.

To anyone who thinks the Amityville horror has a shred of truth the real truth is already out there in a documentary called THE REAL AMITYVILLE HORROR.

The Lutzs posted an account of the house in a magazine...I think Good Housekeeping. The account was very different from the one we know today, very mild and mostly involved weird feelings, and a few odd things such as weird coloring that appeared on the walls, etc.

This was not a hoax at all, but probably a genuine mis-interpretation of data from people understandably unsettled by living in house where six people were murdered.

The Lutzs remembered hearing that Ronnie Defeo complained of hearing voices. Concerned, they contacted Defeo's lawyer William Weber for dinner.

Here is where the hoax started.

Weber listened to their complaints and was able to give rational explanations for everything they told him. That weird green/black residue oozing from the walls was actually left-over finger print dust. Those noises that they heard outside at night was actually the neighbor's cat prowling around that Ronnie himself hated and referred to as "the pig." The upstairs room was filled with flies out of season because the blood from the murders allowed an oddly fertile ground for flies to lay eggs. Etc. Weber further let them know that the voices that Ronnie allegedly heard were just a ginned up insanity defense.

But, as they got drunker, Weber made it clear that if they wanted to continue on with a little idea about a project to make some money, he would be happy to help, for a cut of course.

Weber himself revealed this because ultimately, they cut him out. They contacted writer Jay Anson with the absolute intention of committing outright fraud. And they did. The story now went nuclear, with fantastic exaggerations of the small and explainable phenomenon in the good Housekeeping articles.

The fingerprint residue become a horrid green ectoplasm that oozed from the walls.

The unseasonal flies became an endless swarm that attacked priests and disappeared.

The noises outside that were really only the neighbor's cat- the pig- prowling around became a literal demon pig that could change shape to be as big as the house or small as the doll.

Etc.

It really is disgraceful and it is shocking that anyone still believes this nonsense. Not only has it more or less been confessed, but as adults do we not realize that things like this do not happen? In an era when everyone is carrying around a cell phone camera, not a single uber-hauntings akin to Amityville or the Enfield Poltergeist has ever received the slightest corroborating evidence. Is this not a good indication that they just don't happen in the really real world?

On a side note, one of the Lutz children, who now goes by his original name, Chris Quarintino, now gives interviews, and describes phenomenon not only different from the original George Lutz story and the subsequent George Lutz story, but different from his brother. I am not calling the man a liar...a young child in a scary place with crazy parents can be very susceptible to suggestion, and the phenomenon he describes mostly does sound like if could have a plausible explanation (one thing he describes sounds suspiciously like sleep paralysis). Memory is highly fallible, and it has been proven that we tend to fill in the blanks. I mention this because it demonstrates a classic mythology regarding Amityville that never stops changing, and never will, when the truth is just much simpler.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:44 AM

734 posts, read 910,733 times
@I_Love_LI_but I have heard of sleep paralysis but....how could everyone be under sleep paralysis at the exact same time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal