Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
This can not be refuted. Thick walls in dutch colonial houses? No, a rifle is loud as hell.
It really should not be dwelled on, as the proof is that he did indeed shot them with a rifle. So what are we concluding here? That Casper the Friendly ghost somehow put some spell on the rifle to silence it?

There are many explanations:
Neighbors heard it but ignored it and fell asleep.
The housing insulation effectively muffled enough of the sound.
The murderer used some kind of home made silensor (pillow or something).

I am familiar with gunfire. Gunfires out in the open, in a street or field, echo and resonate. Gunfire in an enclosure, a building, are very loud to those in the same room, but not necessarily in the same building in other rooms and not outside the building. Gunfire can also be mistaken for other sounds for those not familiar with the sound.
Atmospheric and geographical conditions also have an effect on noise, strange enough.

I just don't see it as a significant factor to prove anything, and what we are trying to prove by "no one heard gunfire" is still in question, since death by firearm is beyond question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It really should not be dwelled on, as the proof is that he did indeed shot them with a rifle. So what are we concluding here? That Casper the Friendly ghost somehow put some spell on the rifle to silence it?

There are many explanations:
Neighbors heard it but ignored it and fell asleep.
The housing insulation effectively muffled enough of the sound.
The murderer used some kind of home made silensor (pillow or something).

I am familiar with gunfire. Gunfires out in the open, in a street or field, echo and resonate. Gunfire in an enclosure, a building, are very loud to those in the same room, but not necessarily in the same building in other rooms and not outside the building. Gunfire can also be mistaken for other sounds for those not familiar with the sound.
Atmospheric and geographical conditions also have an effect on noise, strange enough.

I just don't see it as a significant factor to prove anything, and what we are trying to prove by "no one heard gunfire" is still in question, since death by firearm is beyond question.
No. Not in a wealthy suburban area. On new years eve, yes.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 04-25-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
No. Not in a wealthy suburban area.
Particularly in a wealthy neighborhood.
You wake up half asleep to a "clap". Maybe a slammed door, maybe a garbage can, maybe it was a dream....
You have never heard gunfire before, you wouldn't have the slightest notion of what one sounds like.
You are tired, you worked late, it's the middle of the night, you have to work tommorrow...
What would you do?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Particularly in a wealthy neighborhood.
You wake up half asleep to a "clap". Maybe a slammed door, maybe a garbage can, maybe it was a dream....
You have never heard gunfire before, you wouldn't have the slightest notion of what one sounds like.
You are tired, you worked late, it's the middle of the night, you have to work tommorrow...
What would you do?
I would smoke a cigarette and go back to sleep. But we are talking atleast 7 rifle shots here in a peacful and quiet suburban area with alot of dogs. I'm pretty sure that many of the neighbors were sleeping on barbiturates (those were common back in the day) but all of them? No. There's always the houswife "neighborhood watchdog" who are reading true crime entertainment and immediately calls 911 when neighborhood kids are listening to anything other than the Beach Boys.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Guys - this is an 100% ADMITTED HOAX. There are still claims on websites, discussion boards, etc. And it will continue, because people just wanna believe. I assume even people here will still claim it's real. But the evidence against it is undeniable. It does not warrant discussion as a supernatural event.

snopes.com: The Amityville Horror

Enjoy the movies and books - as FICTION.
I think what started as a hoax ended with a strange twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Sadly I think the Amityville Horror was down to one mentally ill young man. No ghosts or ghouls, just crazy.
Mentally ill for sure, but it doesn't explain how he killed an entire family, without awaking one person. Particularly the father, you'd think he would have tried to get out of bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The one thing that has always bothered me about the DeFeo homicides is how Ronald DeFeo was able to systematically murder his entire family with an unslienced Marlin 336 rifle, and not have even a single family member awake to the sound of gunshots. That has always made zero sense to me.
Agree, mysterious. Was the whole family medicated, seriously?

Last edited by virgode; 04-25-2012 at 10:18 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 10:21 PM

I believe the siblings woke up after he shot the parents. He then just forced them back to the bedrooms with the rifle. I'm also open to the theory that his eldest sister Dawn helped out. She was also into drugs back in 1974 and other problems.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 04-25-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Particularly the father, you'd think he would have tried to get out of bed.
He was obese and on many different medications.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
I think the truth behind the De Feo murders is fascinating and also the way a whole cultlike thing was created afterwards. Anything for a buck!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I think the truth behind the De Feo murders is fascinating and also the way a whole cultlike thing was created afterwards. Anything for a buck!
And the only one who can tell the truth of what exactly happened on that November night back in 1974 is a soon to be dead retarded phatological liar.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:59 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
That's two seperate stories though!

Wasn't it one story and one "wannamakemoney" story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal