Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:01 PM

4,655 posts, read 4,102,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The Defeo's was a murder case. We know that.

Before the DeFeos and the Lutz families was land. It had been used as a Native American "holding place" for the insane.

It was bad ground.

First the DeFeos. And then the Lutz families were drawn to this plot of land. Before that, the Ketchams. Then, the Cromodys.

I would never live there. Not if you paid me.
Almost every word of what you have written has been debunked.

My cousins like in the next town over (Freeport) but I have never visited the house out of respect to the community. I can tell you that Long Island is an interesting and fun place, and if someone gave me a good deal on a nice house there, even the Amityville house, I would take it in a New York minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 08:02 PM

22,893 posts, read 28,167,543 times
Why is every haunted house built over Indian burial grounds? The ghosts really need to come up with a new excuse.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:00 PM

23,973 posts, read 32,289,435 times
There are people who "debunk" everything.

I do not believe the Lutz' version, nor do I believe Jay Anson's version.

If you do not believe that the paranormal exists, there is really nothing that I or anyone else can say that will convince you.

Kind of like people who believe in creationism. They think that evolution is crap, or just another theory.

This situation has been sullied by people who have exaggerated events to an almost cartoonish level.

The house was built on "bad ground". Old Long Islanders knew this about that property BEFORE the DeFeos ever purchacrd the house. Long Island has many places such as this.

Attempt to "debunk" all you wish.

What a strange pastime.... Debunking.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:45 PM

4,655 posts, read 4,102,492 times
Quote:
There are people who "debunk" everything.

I do not believe the Lutz' version, nor do I believe Jay Anson's version.

If you do not believe that the paranormal exists, there is really nothing that I or anyone else can say that will convince you.

Kind of like people who believe in creationism. They think that evolution is crap, or just another theory.

This situation has been sullied by people who have exaggerated events to an almost cartoonish level.

The house was built on "bad ground". Old Long Islanders knew this about that property BEFORE the DeFeos ever purchacrd the house. Long Island has many places such as this.

Attempt to "debunk" all you wish.

What a strange pastime.... Debunking.
I am sorry, but I believe that it has been proven that the house was not built ground significant to native Americans in any way.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I do believe in the paranormal. But even a cursory read of the Amityville horror "evidence" shows it was a fraud. There is not one scrap of credible evidence that anything supernatural occurred in that house.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:19 PM

32,849 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why is every haunted house built over Indian burial grounds? The ghosts really need to come up with a new excuse.
Because they're buried all over the place?

Old 10-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Because they're buried all over the place?
And they're all really angry?

Old 10-07-2014, 11:40 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,183,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And they're all really angry?
I realize you are poking fun, but the OP didn't say it was an Indian graveyard, they said it was bad place. They wouldn't bury their ancestors in bad earth.

Bad places draws bad people, and I do believe there are places that are bad, and the bad acts of the people that are there curse the land even more.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I realize you are poking fun, but the OP didn't say it was an Indian graveyard, they said it was bad place.
I know. But that IS what the Lutzes claimed, as did one of the psychics brought in to investigate. Amityville FAQ - The Property

The problem is --- like with so much of the other Amityville claims --- there's not one scrap of evidence to verify it.

Last edited by Mark S.; 10-07-2014 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 01:50 PM

23,973 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I realize you are poking fun, but the OP didn't say it was an Indian graveyard, they said it was bad place. They wouldn't bury their ancestors in bad earth.

Bad places draws bad people, and I do believe there are places that are bad, and the bad acts of the people that are there curse the land even more.
I agree with you, Tallysmom. It goes along with the law of attraction. Like attracts like.

On Long Island, old timers, people who can trace their roots to the 17th century, believe that this is bad ground. All of the hocus pocus confabulated by Lutz, Anson and the Warrens, is believed by almost no one.

The fact is in modern times, two wildly dysfunctional, violent and troubled families had bad experiences with this house. What I heard from what I regard as a credible source, is that the Lutz' were supposed to live there for one year. They did experience paranormal activity and personality changes while living there, and thus, were unable to fulfill that deal. They foreclosed on the house.

Because of the value of properties in that area, the Ling Island Board of Realtors (LIBOR) and the Long Island newspaper, Newsday, did much to discredit any thought that the ground was "bad: as old timers called it.
The notion of "bad ground" is prevalent in New England, where early Long Island settlers were from. It's a l belief that is accepted by may people who are open to spiritual things in many regions.

Incidentally, my father and my uncle were proprietors of an insurance firm on Long Island in the late 1950 through late 1990s. They occasionally insured bank owned homes, and the insured the Amityville property twice. They were offered the "opportunity" to purchase the house for a dirt cheap price.
My uncle, sort of as a joke; proposed that they buy the home. My aunt responded "Not on your life".

My dad and uncle did visit the property - they didn't have to visit it themselves, but they thought it would be interesting to take the 15 minute drive to Amityville, have lunch, and see "The house".
They kind of did it "on a lark".
For what it's worth, my father felt sick after wards, and had a migraine headache. It told me about the visit because he knew that I was interested in "scary things".

He said "honey, I don't know what the real truth is. But, that house has to be one of the gloomiest places I've ever visited. It's just...not normal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal