Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
It's possible perhaps when we 'see' or feel ghosts, we are seeing into another dimension. I always wonder if they are as startled (afraid) of us, as we are of them.
I have often thought this. Maybe our dimensions bump into each other from time to time and in another dimension there are people living their lives in duplicate homes, etc. Maybe we scare them as they scare us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 12:33 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I'd like to believe that, too.

So, do you believe that there are evil influences that can possess people and inhabit homes, but they are just bad people? Do you believe that there are things other than elementals who were never human and do wish us harm?

Do you think ouija boards are appropriate kid's toys?

Just askin'.

When groups such as the Golden Dawn did their rituals they protected themselves first. I think they knew what they were doing when they did that. They were very fastidious about opening and closing each working properly to keep what does not belong here - out.

Geeze, now they are putting a limitation on how many reps you can give out in a day.
I never, even when I was a good little Fundy, believed in possession, especially demonic. While I suppose it's theoretically possible i've never seen anything to convince me that a person was possessed.

I've seen people who claimed to be possessed. It's the strangest thing though, every last one of them had two things in common. They were members of either a charismatic or fundamentalist church and they had an underlying mental illness. Go figure.

I tend to agree with Pink, I think that there are parallel dimensions and every now and then they intersect. That would explain some paranormal events, but not all.

As for Ouija boards. No, they're not toys. They're keys to doors that just need to be kept locked.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
Here's a good analogy. A friend of mine has a dog. She says that the dog considers itself part of the "pack," the pack being her family. The dog has decided that his owner is the "alpha dog" in the pack. The dog essentially has decided that because this is another intelligent being that takes care of it and orders it around, then it must be another dog. Similarly, we humans see a shadowy figure that kind of looks like a person, and we decide it must be a dead human stuck here on earth. .
Slightly OT, but I disagree with this analogy.
Dogs absolutely know the difference between people and other dogs.

Whether they know that they themselves are dogs is a different topic.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I can't speak for other dogs, but mine, they think that they're fur covered humans.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 AM

222 posts, read 550,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I never, even when I was a good little Fundy, believed in possession, especially demonic. While I suppose it's theoretically possible i've never seen anything to convince me that a person was possessed.

I've seen people who claimed to be possessed. It's the strangest thing though, every last one of them had two things in common. They were members of either a charismatic or fundamentalist church and they had an underlying mental illness. Go figure.
Yes, and many of the so-called "possessed" people are women who have been raped or sexually abused and who need counseling and psychological help because of what happened to them. Instead some preacher decides that they're possessed and tries to exorcise them. I was watching some show on possession once and some preacher said that about half of all possessions were women who were sexually abused. It never even dawned upon this guy to think that maybe it was the trauma from the abuse that was causing the "symptoms" of possession, and that these girls really needed a medical doctor and not an exorcist. Also, the inference that demons can more easily enter women who have been sexually abused is just cruel, as it implies that the woman did something to deserve it. What a horrible thing for these preachers to say. And yet they do so because it gives them power over their flock.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I can`t speak for dogs. One has never told me what they think concerning humans, other dogs, God, ghost, spirits, souls, the paranormal,reincarnation, or anything else.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:58 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Yes, and many of the so-called "possessed" people are women who have been raped or sexually abused and who need counseling and psychological help because of what happened to them. Instead some preacher decides that they're possessed and tries to exorcise them. I was watching some show on possession once and some preacher said that about half of all possessions were women who were sexually abused. It never even dawned upon this guy to think that maybe it was the trauma from the abuse that was causing the "symptoms" of possession, and that these girls really needed a medical doctor and not an exorcist. Also, the inference that demons can more easily enter women who have been sexually abused is just cruel, as it implies that the woman did something to deserve it. What a horrible thing for these preachers to say. And yet they do so because it gives them power over their flock.
i have seen a possession and it is NOT like depicted on tv or in the movies and this man was first admitted to a psych hospital but escaped true diagnosis until someone came in to pray for him(his family NON EVANGENICAL minister)---what happened next and at the later visit that had the beginnings of an attempt at excorsim was unbelievable and something i never ever want to see again

Old 05-19-2012, 11:23 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
[Shrugs] you got me...maybe the feelings the people experienced at that time were so strong as to leave an impression on the area - maybe we're just picking up feelings, or electrical energy from a location that manifests itself into something we can only call ghosts or spirits for lack of a better definition. I never actually saw human shapes or anything of that nature, its really difficult to describe - it was more a feeling or an awareness of, or sensing movement of a group of people with an unknown purpose. Research of the house revealed part of the history of the hosue and offered some sort of explanation.
The theory is the feelings were SO intense it left an imprint on the area... and it runs like a video tape or a DVD.

One other theory is quartz and limestone (very prevalent in our country) hold on to these things and replay them for people who are sensitive to that sort of thing.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
These same preachers can take a perfectly normal person and in a short time, convince them that they're possessed.

Case in point, my middle sister.

We have a number of sensitives in our family, mostly the women. My two sisters and myself among them. My youngest sister and I accept and embrace it, my middle sister not so much. Our mother's fundamentalist beliefs took root in her.

Anyway, her minister found out about her abilities and managed to convince her that it was "demons" inhabiting her body. He had her so brainwashed that she agreed to an exorcism, right in front of the whole congregation of course.

The poor girl practically had a breakdown thanks to that idiot.

I'm open to the possibility that true possession might exist but having never seen a case i'm going to remain skeptical for now.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:52 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I'm open to the possibility that true possession might exist but having never seen a case i'm going to remain skeptical for now.
I agree. I keep an open mind. But I`m skepical about the whole thing. A lot of people are cured with medication. But I also hold that same view concerning ghost. Having never seen one, I`m going to remain skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal