Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:41 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
These experiences ARE sleep disorders. You are inbetween being awake and asleep and that mechanism that stops our movements when we dream, has already kicked in. So you cannot move. So are starting to dream already so it seems SO REAL. A doctor explained it to me. I know it doesn't make sense if you have experienced it because it is indeed frightening.
It wasn't scary for me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
I would be terrified!

Actually, I have had experiences where I was both dreaming and conscious at the same time, but I don't remember being paralyzed for it.

I briefly attended a technical school several years ago and during one of my classes I use to fall asleep in my chair quite a bit. I would start to dream. There would be absolutely no imagery with the dream, but I could hear the voices of the people in my dream. It was usually my cousin I was living with at the time talking, and yet I was also conscious of the lecture the teacher was giving, and every few moments I was pulled completely back to the real world before nodding off again, and thus hearing once again simultaneously the voices in my imageless dream as well as the one being spoken at the front of the class. It was very strange.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 AM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Livingdeadgirl:
Quote:
These experiences ARE sleep disorders. You are inbetween being awake and asleep and that mechanism that stops our movements when we dream, has already kicked in. So you cannot move. So are starting to dream already so it seems SO REAL. A doctor explained it to me. I know it doesn't make sense if you have experienced it because it is indeed frightening.
You have to remember that a doctor is probably not the best person to ask if you are having what you think are paranormal experiences. You would not ask a priest if your car was making funny noises - well maybe you would but he probably would only pray over it for you.

The science community likes to think that they can give you a logical reason why these things occur and many people listen and nod at their explanations, but the truth is they dont know half of what the mind is capable of. They will say themselves that we only use less than 10% of our minds and they also tell us that they are continually finding out and discovering more things which the mind can do.

Yes, they are disorders because most people do not report them. They happen occasionally and so they are called disorders. Thats what doctors do- they treat disorders. Lawyers like to find legal problems, car mechanics like to find car problems, computer people like to fix computery problems.

I do not think that the body stops moving just because we are asleep, does i?. All I know is that anyone I have ever slept with in the same bed has always twitched and moved their legs and arms whle they were asleep. Who do you know who is paralysed when they are falling asleep or when they are dreaming?

It is only frightening because you are awake enough to realise that you are aware and not completely "in your body" (like you are in the waking state) yet also not fully "out of your body" either (like you are in your unaware sleeping state).

The true "disorder" here is that you are aware at a point (at the point of falling asleep) when you would normally be un-aware. Scary as that may sound, you do it all the time and we all do, yet most of us are unaware that this is possible let alone that it happens naturally in the sleep state.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:40 PM

111 posts, read 179,771 times
I used to sleep in a bed alongside a wall facing North to South. Our house also has high-tension wire towers to the North of it. While sleeping in this bed I often had these sleep paralysis experiences. Also I would suddenly awaken from sleep with a feeling of a dark presence next to the bed or the sensation of a person observing me at the end of my bed. I did not care for these experiences and talked freely about them, until one day my son-in-law suggested to change the location of my bed. He also ran an electric-magnetic-force (EMF) meter alongside the wall where my bed used to be. He told me there is a lot of emission of EMF alongside that wall, of which he speculated could be the cause of an exposed electrical wire. I changed the location of my bed into what can be considered a alcove with a window on the right side of the bed. The bed's location now is East to West.

At this new location I must say the paralysis sleep experiences have diminshed a lot. Once in a while I will still get one. Once I felt a pressure on my right, bend knee to the point of feeling excruciating pain, but I could not move, nor make a sound. I just suffered through this episode all the while trying to analyze how much longer it will last and how much longer I could stand the intense pain. The pain lifted suddenly as it came. Another time I felt I was being tickled. Oh, I did not like this at all! Contrary to claims of others who don't mind these sleep paralysis experiences, I on the other hand do not care for them one bit. I found out I won't get them when I include in my night prayers requests for not having these experiences and mentioning each experience specifically by name. When I do that I will have a very goodnight sleep. Sometimes, when I forget to put in my requests, I will get one of those ugly episodes. Also, while still wide awake trying to fall a sleep, I sometimes can feel something jumping on my bed and walking around all over me. I usually will lie quietly trying to analyze this sensation walking over my bed by whatever it is that doing it. In order for me to make it stop I will have to get up.

I found Wikipedia goes into great detail about this phenomena.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,227 times
I had a few experiences a few years ago.

One of which I will probably never forget. One morning I woke up at about 6:00 am. I was laying in bed, it felt as if I could not move almost like I forgot how to move for at least 5-10 minutes, also felt as if something was holding me down.

That's not the scariest thing about my experience though. Some how I managed to turn my head and there was dark human shaped figure standing at my bed side. I remember seeing 3 fingers, and being too scared to look up too see the rest of it. I guess in my brain I KNEW nothing was suppose to have 3 fingers, and no one else should have been in my apartment. It was experience I will never forget. I was about 19-20 years old and a college student never did drugs, was not a partier more and was more of solitary (loner) kind of guy. (Kinda still am). I remember getting extremely sick in the days afterwards. (FLU like)

Another experience I had was one night I think a few months later I could not sleep so I grabbed a my phone and was laying my back trying to read something off it, when I felt like I couldn't move for a few seconds, and what appeared to a face and a symbol kinda just appeared like in a flash (only lasted a few seconds). After it was gone, and once I could move I had the urge copy the symbol I saw. I pulled out a piece of paper drew the symbol and stuck it in the night stand, and fell asleep. That piece of paper is still in my drawer.

It was definitely a interesting experience.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 05-14-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
I have had "night terrors" and sleep paralysis . . .together . . .but nothing paranormal. For me, the experiences were what I perceive as events integrating in my psyche.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 PM

16 posts, read 24,146 times
I think a lot of the experiences are related to what we watch and hear in our daily lives as well as our childhood. When I was a kid I used to hate these sets of eyes that would surround me, and I mean sets, not just one pair but many. I would cover my head with a blanket and yet they would be there as if I had no eyelids, I hated that. Another instant was an evening at my Aunts house where I was staying and a cousin had visited and stayed the night. While we were sleeping, I was on the floor and he was on the bed, I recall a a dream so vivid and real with an entity dark figure rising from the bed and wanting to what seemed at the time to hurt me. It rose and floated over me and I grabbed its wrists as if I were in fight with it and while I was holding its' wrists, it seem to come and kneel or pass through me.... at which point, I woke as if I were still clinging to the shadowy figure. Other times I'm at the threshold of sleep and I would hear voices whispering around me, which is weird as heck. Its weird because I can almost hear what they're saying as they shuffle around me, as if I'm on some lab table and they're observing.... anyway, I've learn to wake myself from these experiences by forcing myself out of sleep.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times
Has anyone just out right been 'humped' by one of these deviant entities?, like in the movie 'The Entity'...

Old 05-17-2012, 05:09 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
I had sleep paralysis two nights ago. I was god awful sick and over tired that's when it usually happens. I knew it was happening I was more or less conscious of my surroundings however I seemed to be dreaming while awake. That night I was on the couch trying to yell for my husband to wake me up (he was in the bedroom) and I could hear children giggling and a ball with a bell in it being rolled around my floor (like the cat ball toys) this went on for a few mins and I finally was able to snap out of it and it was just me alone on the dark. It happens about twice to three times a year for me each time with different experiences. I usually see a person in the room with me or see objects move because my eyes are half open but when I awake the objects are in the correct place. Once in a while I will hear a voice talk to me like saying "wake up" or "I see you" only to find my husband still at work and I'm alone in bed. I'm never scared though because like i said each time this happens I am literally very conscious of my surroundings and just more or less sit it out until I can regain movement of my body

Old 05-17-2012, 05:25 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
I experience that all the time. Yes it can be creepy, but it's not too big of a deal for me, I just don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal