Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:38 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This has happened to me before but without the noise or pressure on my chest. I wonder why we experience darkness, evil, or gloom while in this state.
Our brains are wired to become fearful or paranoid when we're afraid. It's believed that it's a holdover from the time when humans were prey for larger animals, in effect a survival tool.

The fears that people describe suffering in sleep paralysis vary depending on their cultural background. In some countries people feel it's a ghost, in others a demon, or an incubus or sucubus.

Sleep paralysis is an interesting and not frightening state once you've realized what it is. Been there, done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
I'd had this experience a few times, and it scares the hell out of me. It's like my mind is fully conscious and awake, but I can't move and I feel as though a 'presence' is in the room. And not a pleasant presence, something 'faceless' but sinister.....

Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I'd had this experience a few times, and it scares the hell out of me. It's like my mind is fully conscious and awake, but I can't move and I feel as though a 'presence' is in the room. And not a pleasant presence, something 'faceless' but sinister.....
I experienced this back in February, but it was much more benevolent.

On the early morning of February 8th, about 4 days after my late-friend's funeral. I'm partially awake, but I can't open my eyes, no matter how I try, I still feel the agony and grief of what was going on around me in my life.

Then, just out of nowhere, it feels like something is over me and it's warm. For some odd reason I'm convinced that whatever it was, it was female it gave off that vibe. Then I feel something gently start pressing against my lips and further into my mouth, whatever it was, was kissing me tenderly and it starts holding me. I can't move, this goes on for several more minutes until this warm feeling goes throughout my body and shakes me awake.

By far, the weirdest dream I've had.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
Our brains are wired to become fearful when we're afraid. .
hmmm...

Old 05-07-2012, 01:14 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
I have a feeling that it was the Robert Monroe book on astral projection which said that sleep paralysis is the state before an OOBE (out of body experience) and that if you relaxed and just accepted it, you would be able to leave your physical body and remain in a conscious state. Possibly some of these experiences are these. (Possibly some are not too, of course.)

I have never had paralysis, but have had times when I feel as if there is "someone" behind me and then I wake up with my heart pounding. This is usually about the time when I wake up normally anyway. However, a while ago, I realised that all it was, was my astral body returning and I was feeling myself coming back into my body. Once I realised this, I was not afraid any longer but I am still unaware of what I do when I leave and what goes on out there.

The Lobsang Rampa books which I used to read ages ago, said that everyone astrally projected at night when they were asleep but most people did not remember. Some say he was a fraud, but I loved his books and read every one of them. :-)

Old 05-07-2012, 01:31 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
OP, thanks so much for sharing your story. As you said, we are anonymous, so there's no reason to make this up, unless you want to gauge our reactions to a book you are writing, or need attention, and I don't think either of those are the case in your situation. The fact that someone else has experienced this also makes it even more believable. My husband has told me that he has felt the pressure of someone trying to hold him down twice. I think it happened quite a few years ago. I'm going to have to ask him again now. I didn't really believe him. I thought he probably fell asleep with the Scyfy channel on, and it was happening on there. He thought they were demons, for some reason, and I think he said he told them to get off and pushed against them. I'll ask him and tell you what he said. I do remember him saying that he felt it when they got on the bed.

Have you done any research to see if there are more people who have also experienced this? It sounds like you had some things going on in your life that may have been stressful. They say stress can cause just about anything.
Also, were you taking any medication at that time? Different medications can make just about anything happen. I'm not belittling your situation when I ask that. I know people, including myself, who have had bizarre dreams (?) or something on certain medications, one of them being nicotine cessation products, which I've quit taking. Being an insomniac, I've finally found a combination of meds that put me to sleep, but I have crazy, brightly colored dreams.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Actually, I think a lot more people are psychic than we think. The time when we are just falling asleep and the time when we are just waking up is the "in between state' and may be when we can feel these other entities. Not all are going to be our own astral body and some really are going to other entities . If you believe this kind of thing, then they have to "live" somewhere - why not in the same space as we do but in a different dimension/spacetime/ or whatever. If so then this is the reason why we cannot normally see or feel them except when we are super sensitive at those times.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Hi, new to this forum...just kind of poking around for now.

I did have this happen once. I was like 13 or so and felt this pressure on my chest as if something was sitting on me or attempting to enter my body. I thought I was awake. I have no idea if I really was or not. Regardless, it scared the hell out of me. It hasn't happened since though. I always wondered if it was some subconscious reaction to having watched The Exorcist shortly before the incident and being a Catholic back in those days, well there ya go.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
my first sleep paralysis was when i was about 11.. i was on the floor and a dark shadow of a man walked towards me, and i tried to scream but couldn't and i couldn't move, and when i finally let out a scream i woke up. my 2nd was when i was 14, about the same dream..i had several in college that involved the devil or demons.. i haven't had one in a really long time since then.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
These experiences ARE sleep disorders. You are inbetween being awake and asleep and that mechanism that stops our movements when we dream, has already kicked in. So you cannot move. So are starting to dream already so it seems SO REAL. A doctor explained it to me. I know it doesn't make sense if you have experienced it because it is indeed frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal