Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:15 AM

222 posts, read 550,266 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons that I am skeptical that dead people somehow continue to survive as immaterial intelligences (ghosts) is that if they did, wouldn't they be behaving a lot differently? Wouldn't every murderer be haunted by the people he killed for the rest of his life? Wouldn't there be ghosts not just from parts of history that we understand and are familiar with, but also from parts of history that we aren't so familiar with, like Caveman Ghosts? It just seems that there's a lot that doesn't add up about ghosts being deceased humans. That's why I tend to think that we may be misinterpreting them, and that they might be life forms from another planet or dimension or whatever that we have decided are dead humans because that's the only thing that most people can imagine. Also, most people WANT their dead loved ones to still be around, so that gives them the incentive to continue to believe in the ghosts as dead people theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
One of the reasons that I am skeptical that dead people somehow continue to survive as immaterial intelligences (ghosts) is that if they did, wouldn't they be behaving a lot differently? Wouldn't every murderer be haunted by the people he killed for the rest of his life? Wouldn't there be ghosts not just from parts of history that we understand and are familiar with, but also from parts of history that we aren't so familiar with, like Caveman Ghosts? It just seems that there's a lot that doesn't add up about ghosts being deceased humans. That's why I tend to think that we may be misinterpreting them, and that they might be life forms from another planet or dimension or whatever that we have decided are dead humans because that's the only thing that most people can imagine. Also, most people WANT their dead loved ones to still be around, so that gives them the incentive to continue to believe in the ghosts as dead people theory.
Yes, I wonder the same thing. It's commonly believed that ghosts are the spirits of people who are not at rest, who have something they need 'put right' before they can rest in peace. There are many aboriginal burial grounds around here, but how often do you here of ghosts of aboriginal people?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
PippySkiddles, some of your experience sounds a lot like sleep paralysis, except from my understanding sleep paralysis generally subjects the person to terrifying hallucinations and feelings of danger or dread, whereas yours sounds like it was pretty much the opposite. Very interesting. I know a girl who experienced a sort of paralysis upon waking up one morning, except she experienced no visions, hallucinations, or anything; she was simply unable to move her body and claims to have been fully alert. Of course, that would be terrifying enough.
This has happened to me 1 time. I had this feeling of extreme happiness and euphoria. I could feel myself smiling, almost laughing. Then a feeling of darkness and dread came over me, like something was hovering over me. I tried to move but couldn`t. I tried hard to open my eyes so I could see this evil thing that I felt, but again, I couldn`t. I was straining hard trying to open my eyes. Then after ,maybe 30 -60 seconds, I opened my eyes and could move my body again. But nothing was there and everything felt normal. I think they call it the old hag syndrome. I read where most people will experience this at least once in their life. It was very strange because I never have nightmares or bad dreams EVER. Also strange that I had a feeling of extreme happiness right before this happened. Weird indeed.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
For those that actaully believe in the bible over the limited wisdom of imperfect man, there is this explaination about the human spirit: The words translated "spirit" in teh bible, basically mean "breath." But this implies much more than the act of breathing. The Bible writer James, for example, states: "The body without spirit is dead." Hence, spirit is that which animates the body. This animating force cannot simply be the breath, or air, moving through the lungs. Why not? Because after breathing stops, life remains in the body cells for a brief period—"for several minutes," according to The World Book Encyclopedia. For this reason, efforts at resuscitation can succeed. But once the spark of life is extinguished from the cells of the body, any efforts to restore life are futile. All the breath, or air, in the world cannot revive even one cell. The spirit, then, is the invisible life-force—the spark of life that keeps the cells and the person alive. This life-force is sustained by breathing.— Job 34:14,15

However, if you scoff at the existence of the Devil and his demons, let alone their power and influence, then it is all to easy to be mislead. Demons are not mythical cartoons without personality or motivation. They are very skilled at decpetion, as was Satan when he impersonated a serpent to mislead Eve. And today, innocent people grieving over the death of a loved one are often deceived the same way, by wrong ideas about those who have died. A spirit medium may give special information or may speak in a voice that seems to be that of a dead person. As a result, many people become convinced that the dead are really alive as ghosts and that contacting them will help the living to endure their grief. But any such “comfort” is really false as well as dangerous. Why? Because the demons have known all about us since birth, and are therefore able to imitate the voice of a dead person and give a spirit medium information about someone who has died.

So kind of like a hologram, what we may percieve to be ghosts are real images, representing someones physical appearance. But not the realization of a person who was once alive. I hope that made sense. So, just like humans only moreso, demons can also be very talented. But more seriously, dangerously powerful.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post

As a result, many people become convinced that the dead are really alive as ghosts and that contacting them will help the living to endure their grief.

But any such “comfort” is really false as well as dangerous. Why? Because the demons have known all about us since birth, and are therefore able to imitate the voice of a dead person and give a spirit medium information about someone who has died.
Not certain I understand what you've said above....Questions.....

How would one know from what source a medium receives communication?

Are you impling ALL mediums who recieve information from the deceased are actually communing with the demonic?

Is the medium and person recieving information from a medium, both being decieved by the demonic?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
For those that actaully believe in the bible over the limited wisdom of imperfect man, there is this explaination about the human spirit: The words translated "spirit" in teh bible, basically mean "breath." But this implies much more than the act of breathing. The Bible writer James, for example, states: "The body without spirit is dead." Hence, spirit is that which animates the body. This animating force cannot simply be the breath, or air, moving through the lungs. Why not? Because after breathing stops, life remains in the body cells for a brief period—"for several minutes," according to The World Book Encyclopedia. For this reason, efforts at resuscitation can succeed. But once the spark of life is extinguished from the cells of the body, any efforts to restore life are futile. All the breath, or air, in the world cannot revive even one cell. The spirit, then, is the invisible life-force—the spark of life that keeps the cells and the person alive. This life-force is sustained by breathing.— Job 34:14,15
The spirit or real you doesn`t have anything to do with keeping the body alive. The body is just a house for the spirit in the physical world. When the body grows old and dies or dies from injury, etc. then the spirit must leave because it no longer has a physical house. But the spirit is independent of the body. It isn`t a life force for the body. The physical elements such as food, water, nutrients, oxygen, etc are what keep the body alive. They are the life force for the physical house. But the real you or spirit is sustained by something else. So, the spirit isn`t a life force for the body, it just animates it or lives in it, much like people living in a house. Once the house is destroyed, the people leave. But the spirit is trapped within the body until the body dies and the silver cord is severed. Once the silver cord is severed, the spirit is freed from the body. But again, the body is independent of the spirit. It doesn`t need the spirit to sustain it. It needs the physical elements to sustain because that what it is...physical. That`s why it ages and dies.

Quote:
However, if you scoff at the existence of the Devil and his demons, let alone their power and influence, then it is all to easy to be mislead. Demons are not mythical cartoons without personality or motivation. They are very skilled at decpetion, as was Satan when he impersonated a serpent to mislead Eve. And today, innocent people grieving over the death of a loved one are often deceived the same way, by wrong ideas about those who have died. A spirit medium may give special information or may speak in a voice that seems to be that of a dead person. As a result, many people become convinced that the dead are really alive as ghosts and that contacting them will help the living to endure their grief. But any such “comfort†is really false as well as dangerous. Why? Because the demons have known all about us since birth, and are therefore able to imitate the voice of a dead person and give a spirit medium information about someone who has died.

So kind of like a hologram, what we may percieve to be ghosts are real images, representing someones physical appearance. But not the realization of a person who was once alive. I hope that made sense. So, just like humans only moreso, demons can also be very talented. But more seriously, dangerously powerful.
I believe in demons but I don`t believe in an individual entity known as satan. Satan is the accuser which represents the physical..the opposite of the spirit which is God or the life force. The physical is at odds with the spirit. The bible is full of truths but you have to read it as a spiritual guide book and with a spiritual meaning and not read it literally.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
I don't mean to make light of those who follow the bible and believe in demons but I do have a hard time understanding why demons would present themselves as loving,peaceful spirits of God. To what purpose does that serve the "demons" if one gives the glory of the communication to God?
Makes no sense to me.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Or are they just so frustratingly elusive?

I mean say you know of a haunted house. If there's a real ghost in there, surely you could invite 100 skeptics in there and they'd find something right? Unless the ghost is shy? But why? Would a ghost not want us to believe in it?

And this could have happened 100 years ago before holographics etc. Nowadays, it seems, it might be impossible to convince some skeptics of ghosts because they will just explain it away with technology.

If ghosts/hauntings/supernatural experiences are so common, why do so many believe, have no experience? Is it because they are closed to spiritual things or is that just a way to explain why only 'special' psychically gifted people can see, hear, converse or relate with the dead?
Ghosts if you want to call them that - exist but they do not exist. If we are living in a multi-dimensional world..there may be slight rips or tears in the walls that separate a million worlds that may exist..so we may get a slight glimmer of something else..in the alternative the human mind and imagination are so powerful they can project an image.

BUT in reality..the dead are so far away they are unreachable. Moderator cut: Inappropriate Dealing with the dead is not a gift - it is a curse..and a waste of life and time.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-26-2012 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Please be respectful and use appropriate language in this forum.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Ghosts if you want to call them that - exist but they do not exist. If we are living in a multi-dimensional world..there may be slight rips or tears in the walls that separate a million worlds that may exist..so we may get a slight glimmer of something else..in the alternative the human mind and imagination are so powerful they can project an image.

BUT in reality..the dead are so far away they are unreachable. Moderator cut: Inappropriate Dealing with the dead is not a gift - it is a curse..and a waste of life and time.

you are of course entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to totally disagree; which I do. Thankfully God has granted me the opportunity to experience communication with spirits, which is something you are not able nor willing to do. Pity.
I can assure you it is no curse,nor a waste of life and time.
I cherish the "gift"

Can you elaborate on how ghost exist but do not exist?

The spirits have revealed to me that they exist in a Godly place that is as close as being in the next room. To communicate all they do is basically "step into the next room" to be at their earthly destination.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I don't mean to make light of those who follow the bible and believe in demons but I do have a hard time understanding why demons would present themselves as loving,peaceful spirits of God. To what purpose does that serve the "demons" if one gives the glory of the communication to God?
Makes no sense to me.
I've wondered why demons would make themselves known at all to humans. Wouldn't a demon's primary goal be to make sure as few people as possible become or remain believers? But actually seeing a demon would be pretty convincing evidence that at least some of the religious stuff is true. So you'd think a demon would avoid that at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal