Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Or are they just so frustratingly elusive?

I mean say you know of a haunted house. If there's a real ghost in there, surely you could invite 100 skeptics in there and they'd find something right? Unless the ghost is shy? But why? Would a ghost not want us to believe in it?

And this could have happened 100 years ago before holographics etc. Nowadays, it seems, it might be impossible to convince some skeptics of ghosts because they will just explain it away with technology.

If ghosts/hauntings/supernatural experiences are so common, why do so many believe, have no experience? Is it because they are closed to spiritual things or is that just a way to explain why only 'special' psychically gifted people can see, hear, converse or relate with the dead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Some people hear better than others, some have better vision and some are more sensitive to the spirit world.

Also, I would assume that those in spirit appear when they want and to who they want.

I guess that for those of us who have these experiences it all seems pretty simple, and normal.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 AM

I was gonna start a new thread but I'll just ask here, does anyone know of any videos that they believe capture genuine paranormal activity?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:50 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Because ghosts/spirits exist in another frequency (level of vibration) from us, and hence as with microwaves or radio waves they are invisible to us. And that is the way it is meant to be. Some people can alter their psychic abilities and adjust their level of vibration to that which matches the surrounding metaphysical planes at similar (but not exact) vibrationary rates to our plane, and have the capability to see "ghosts", therefore. There's no "magic" about any of this, it's all metaphysical reality. These different frequencies which exist are no more "magic" or make believe than microwaves, radio waves, and many other types of energy you can't see.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Because ghosts/spirits exist in another frequency (level of vibration) from us, and hence as with microwaves or radio waves they are invisible to us. And that is the way it is meant to be. Some people can alter their psychic abilities and adjust their level of vibration to that which matches the surrounding metaphysical planes at similar (but not exact) vibrationary rates to our plane, and have the capability to see "ghosts", therefore. There's no "magic" about any of this, it's all metaphysical reality. These different frequencies which exist are no more "magic" or make believe than microwaves, radio waves, and many other types of energy you can't see.
I think we have a tendency to label anything that we cannot objectively observe as 'false.' I.e. these delusions, hallucinations are not really real. Well, to my way of thinking the realm of thoughts and perception is every bit as real as the physical world 'outside' of our minds. Just because a person is perceptive enough to detect a presence, or as you say, is capable of matching their vibration to the other metaphysical plane, does not mean that it doesn't exist. Thoughts have as much existence as actions or objects, as they directly affect the exterior world.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
That's like saying, if music talent is real, shouldn't it be easy for everyone to get in front of stage and bust out a tune?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
That's like saying, if music talent is real, shouldn't it be easy for everyone to get in front of stage and bust out a tune?
I wish!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Yeah its just like aliens or UFOs. If they were real wouldn't more people have seen them? I have never seen any of this stuff and nothing I have seen has been convincing. Even the ghost hunting shows are not convincing. I have never seen one to product a ghost. They claim to record sounds but they are not intelligible to a viewer.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Yeah its just like aliens or UFOs. If they were real wouldn't more people have seen them? I have never seen any of this stuff and nothing I have seen has been convincing. Even the ghost hunting shows are not convincing. I have never seen one to product a ghost. They claim to record sounds but they are not intelligible to a viewer.
I agree and this is why I`m on the fence about ghost. It seems plausible to me because I do believe in an afterlife. But of all of the years people have been studying ghost and with all of the technology we have, noone has really recorded anything. People say they have this recording or that, but it is always sketchy and inconclusive. Plus, I can`t understand why people that have been dead for hundreds of years would still appear in the same environment doing the same things they did back then. Those things don`t exist anymore, so why or how would they just stay there for hundreds of years with noone to communicate with?

As I said, I don`t rule it out, there are just too many unanswered questions. Also, I find it interesting that people will believe in ghost with no proof to the masses but totally disregard a supreme being or intelligence because they say there is no proof. It seems hypocritical to me. They want other people to accept the belief in ghost with no proof. But clamour for proof before they will believe in a supreme intelligence, energy, God or whatever you want to call it.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Or are they just so frustratingly elusive?

I mean say you know of a haunted house. If there's a real ghost in there, surely you could invite 100 skeptics in there and they'd find something right? Unless the ghost is shy? But why? Would a ghost not want us to believe in it?

And this could have happened 100 years ago before holographics etc. Nowadays, it seems, it might be impossible to convince some skeptics of ghosts because they will just explain it away with technology.

If ghosts/hauntings/supernatural experiences are so common, why do so many believe, have no experience? Is it because they are closed to spiritual things or is that just a way to explain why only 'special' psychically gifted people can see, hear, converse or relate with the dead?
Point #1 People don't know what ghosts really are. We may interpret them as spirits of the deceased, but it could be totally wrong.

Point #2 What if we are dealing with a sentience that does not want to be found? What if it wants to "play" with us but knows playtime is over if it becomes common knowledge?

Point #3 I could make a very, very long list of things that exist that we couldn't prove or identify until the technology to identify them came into being. There are still things we know exist but can't quantify or truly understand it's mechanics, gravity being the big example. Science is just a human tool for understanding something that is already there, and has yet to give a complete understanding of all there is to know.

Point #4 The vast majority of ghost/haunting claims are misinterpretations or outright hoaxes. The REAL phenomenon is not nearly as common as all those Syfi and History channel info-tainment shows make it seem.

So why shouldn't we just ignore the phenomenon in the first place?

Because it's been happening to people for thousands of years, as long as people have been able to write about it. Just like the sun rising and setting every day, people getting sick, lightning, birth, death, ect, ect. All those things were once mysterious and supernatural to humanity at some point in time; why people see ghosts is one of the few aspects of the human experience that has been there since the beginning but still eludes our understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal