Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post

Shooting Stars wrote:

"Here's a really minor example. We were in a rental house that had just gotten sold. I asked my favorite psychic what they saw ahead for us for a next rental. That's all I asked.

The psychic said we would be able to stay longer in the current rental even after the lease was up - we wouldn't have to move immediately. They had no way of knowing that our landlord had just informed us the new owner wasn't going to move in right away, and that we would have extra months after the lease was up."

This is anecdotal. What you're describing is a fortune teller. Not one has ever proven to be legitimate.
Your examples of fake psychics are also anecdotal.

What the psychic told me was true. PERIOD. I have talked to him several times and he has told me many many things that were true. For anyone who isn't determined to be stubborn, having a solid track record of telling a customer things that are true would be considered proof of legitimacy.

Don't give a rat's ass what you think anyway, particularly since you are so rude in how you communicate.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 11-11-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hey , just got the hardcover mailed to me from a friend that was done with it.

Starting it now...looks great so far.

"There's More To Life Than This". Theresa Caputo
I recently read the book also. The part about what she sees and the meanings was interesting.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Quote:
all through history there have been Mediums, fortune tellers, tea leaf and crystal ball and palm readers etc.... all were proven to be frauds.
I have two issues with this statement.
1- ALL have been proven frauds? When? How so? Are you aware of the cultural aspects of palm reading in India?
2- with palm reading as an example; there is nothing supernatural about reading palms in any shape of form. Palm reading is much like math or the structure of a language. The lines on a palm, the length of fingers and so on all have a specific meaning. Learn those meanings to heart and reading a palm is like following a recipe.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:25 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
She's a medium. By default, she is therefore a fraud.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
ALL have been proven frauds? When? How so?
I was wondering the same thing.

When were ALL proven to be frauds?

What methods were used to determine ALL were frauds?

Who proved it? How did they manage to contact and test ALL the psychics in the world? They must have racked up major travel expenses!

What year was this? Is it an ongoing event? Is it retroactive? ... Did they contact deceased psychics to determine they were frauds?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If she was really psychic she'd have one the lottery by now and wouldn't have to go on a boring reality TV show to make moolah .

I wonder if her general likability as a person biases people to think she's genuine. 'Oh she's just an average mom living an average suburban life, she can't be in it for the money, fame or attention. Even if she's on a reality show.'

But I with-hold making an absolute judgement. There are things I don't know.
She's not psychic. She's a medium. She communicates with the dead. That doesn't mean she knows what lottery numbers are going to come up.

I'm on the fence about whether she is real or not, but I do know there is a difference between a psychic and a medium.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:

I'm not saying there isn't supernatural things we don't yet understand, but all through history there have been Mediums, fortune tellers, tea leaf and crystal ball and palm readers etc.... all were proven to be frauds.
No they haven't been proven to be frauds. To me, obviously some people DO have this talent because the Bible mentions it. The biggest problem I have with it is that the Bible warns us NOT to consult mediums or communicate with the dead. So I try to reconcile what the Bible says with my curiosity about being able to hear from the other side. I know someone who doesn't believe in God in the first place (and I don't know if you do or not) will say that's all bunk too...

The Bible also says you can tell a prophet by whether their predictions come true - ALL of them. A true prophet is never wrong. Which is why I really think Sylvia Browne is a fraud, because she has been wrong a lot.

I have had no experience with a medium except a message delivered to me by a relative who was read by a medium. It was an unsolicited reading; my relative just happened to be in the same place that the medium was and the medium gave her the information. The relative didn't even know what the message meant/who it was, but when she told me, I knew immediately. I was and still am amazed by that. It was kind of surreal. I'm still skeptical, but in this case they got it right.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
If you believe the bible, she can't be talking to the dead as the resurrection has not taken place yet. The dead are asleep, unconscious, until the resurrection.
"Absent from the body, present with the Lord."

Old 11-11-2013, 05:23 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
I think 99% of them are frauds...but I do believe the 1% has a God given gift...

Old 11-11-2013, 05:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I have never had an encounter with a "fortune teller" whether she be psychic, or medium
that wasn't 100% correct. Nor had my mother...we both would drop into the local
Metaphysical Fairs occassionally... I never saught them out.

Correct to the point that the psychic would say, I don't know why silver is coming up, but it keeps coming up that
Silver is trouble....well, yeah, she was picking up on Dr. Tim Silver a sicko in all our lives for a year.
Or 2 times I referred a friend to call her to help her 2 times to locate a sentimental necklace
She kept loosing...and knew was" gone forever"....she was always told exactly where to look...in a sock,
And behind a box in a bathroom cabinet.

Those were over the phone, no charge and only little things I easily could mention.
I'm glad I'm me and open-minded about so many things....the mind is like a parachute,
It only works when its open.
Blanket statements like they are all frauds shows so much
about the person saying it....sorry....some ARE frauds, some get confusing messages, some clients have
changed the outcome of future events bec of the info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal