U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,777,920 times

Advertisements

We have a friendly ghost in our home which is in a retirement community. We are the second owner of this home and the previous owner (Betty) lived here from when the home was new until she died (in the hospital, not here) a year or so before we purchased the home. We hear footsteps and other noises from time to time, and a hall door opens when no one is around it. Wife and I will be together in another room. Wife was still working after I retired and normally left for work before I got out of bed. One morning as I was waking, I saw a woman standing at the foot of the bed, looking at me. I thought it was Wife and started to ask why she was not at work when the woman disappeared. One evening last week I was sitting in the living room, started to get up to close the shades when I saw a woman going that direction. I thought it was Wife and started to tell her that I would do that, then the woman disappeared. I then heard Wife at her desk in another room.

So, we refer to the ghost as "Betty" and feel she is only checking to see if we are O.K. and taking proper care of "her home". We are, and I hope she continues to visit.

Oh, I almost forgot. I was telling one of the maintenance men this story and he said he had a strange experience in one of these units. Said he was replacing a door when he "felt" someone looking at him and felt a chill come over him. He thought it was one of the other guys doing something to harass him and turned to say something, but no one was there. He said he got the out of there! I asked for details of the "door job" and when he told me, I pointed to a bedroom door and asked if that was it. He looked shocked and said "yes". We had asked for the door to be replaced before we moved in because we didn't like the style. So, I guess Betty didn't like him changing "her home".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 PM

12,478 posts, read 16,360,471 times
very cool! thanks for sharing and for embracing Betty!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,838,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
We have a friendly ghost in our home which is in a retirement community. We are the second owner of this home and the previous owner (Betty) lived here from when the home was new until she died (in the hospital, not here) a year or so before we purchased the home. We hear footsteps and other noises from time to time, and a hall door opens when no one is around it. Wife and I will be together in another room. Wife was still working after I retired and normally left for work before I got out of bed. One morning as I was waking, I saw a woman standing at the foot of the bed, looking at me. I thought it was Wife and started to ask why she was not at work when the woman disappeared. One evening last week I was sitting in the living room, started to get up to close the shades when I saw a woman going that direction. I thought it was Wife and started to tell her that I would do that, then the woman disappeared. I then heard Wife at her desk in another room.

So, we refer to the ghost as "Betty" and feel she is only checking to see if we are O.K. and taking proper care of "her home". We are, and I hope she continues to visit.

Oh, I almost forgot. I was telling one of the maintenance men this story and he said he had a strange experience in one of these units. Said he was replacing a door when he "felt" someone looking at him and felt a chill come over him. He thought it was one of the other guys doing something to harass him and turned to say something, but no one was there. He said he got the out of there! I asked for details of the "door job" and when he told me, I pointed to a bedroom door and asked if that was it. He looked shocked and said "yes". We had asked for the door to be replaced before we moved in because we didn't like the style. So, I guess Betty didn't like him changing "her home".
Poor maintenance guy! I'll bet he ran out of there.

My sister had a similar experience last year. She retrieves donor tissue for transplant. While removing some donor corneas she felt a tap on her shoulder and then felt someone looking over her shoulder. Knowing that she was alone (and our family being what it is ) she started talking to the donor, calling her by name and explaining the procedure. The presence stayed until she was finished and then she felt a hand on her shoulder and then nothing.

Things like this happen frequently.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Now the rest of the "maintenance man (Ray) experience". I didn't add it earlier because I didn't want to make the post too long. Background; In this retirement community our "homes" are in large duplex, 3plex, or 4plex buildings. Betty owned the one we bought and the one next door (across the wall). The other unit has a basement and she had a connecting door installed between the two units. After Ray told me the above story he said there was even more. He said that a couple weeks after he had his experience in our unit he was working in the basement next door when he, again, felt someone looking at him, saw no one was there and, again, had a cold chill come over him. He refuses to go back into that basement. So, I guess, Betty didn't approve of the changes he was making to "her home" and let him know it. Oh, last evening while we were watching the news we heard her in another room. I guess she doesn't like to watch todays news, and I don't blame her.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Face it, she's old, set in her ways and she's dead. Little hope of her changing now.

Have you thought to have a talk with her? Just tell her that you appreciate the fact that she loved her home and still looks after it but, it's your home now and she needs to skedaddle.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Face it, she's old, set in her ways and she's dead. Little hope of her changing now.

Have you thought to have a talk with her? Just tell her that you appreciate the fact that she loved her home and still looks after it but, it's your home now and she needs to skedaddle.
Nope, I'd rather she continues her visits 'cause she's family now.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 PM

12,478 posts, read 16,360,471 times
Quote:
I agree. Though one would think heaven would be preferable than any place on earth
I also do think you should talk to her though. Just speak to her and often.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I agree. Though one would think heaven would be preferable than any place on earth
I also do think you should talk to her though. Just speak to her and often.
When I try to talk to her she leaves/disappears. She has come to the door of my "office", here, two times tonight. Each time I thought it was Wife but finally realized she had gone to bed quite a while ago.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,974,760 times
I believe you 100%, the reason being ever time people speak of ghosts it's always doing evil things. I had a friendly ghost in my prior home and I found it very comforting as it would check in on me at night when my husband was traveling. Enjoy, I did and quite honestly I do miss my ghost since I had to move.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I can relate. That's how we feel about our outside ghost "junior".

We don't know who he really is. I've researched what property records are available and can't find anything. Same with the census records. Whoever he is, he's very protective of the farm and me. If I go outside after dark, he's right there with me until I either get in my truck or go back in the house. We catch glimpses of him walking across the front yard or up the walkway toward the house.

We have a particular neighbor that "junior" seems to dislike quite a bit. He came over a few days ago yelling at me accusing one of my dogs of killing his cow. Anyway he's screaming at me, i'm screaming back and he looks over my shoulder, turns white as a damn sheet and backed his way to the truck then left.

I knew Junior was standing behind me but I had no idea that the neighbor from hell was aware of his presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal