Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:27 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder how common this fear is...when I was a kid, I'd used to have fear of inanimate objects in the form of animals or people coming to life. For instance, we had a statute of a girl on the piano that looked like what you see in those old cemeteries, and I remember being afraid of even going down there in the dark at times! Also, we had some clown puppets that used to freak me out so much I'd hide them away in the cupboard lest they magically come alive. One time, we had these wooden ducks on the mantepiece and I literally tricked myself into believing I'd seen them move.

These fears would often arise after reading about say reports of moving statues or things like this.

On the subject, anyone familiar with Robert the Doll?

Robert The Doll

Some of the reports might be exaggerated, but the doll quite well have an 'evil energy' to it.
I thought all my toys came alive while I was sleeping and that they ran back to their places just before I woke up. I would pretend I was sleeping in order to catch them, but I never did. I wasn't afraid of it, though. I just knew they were doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 04:28 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Yep, always creeped me out thanks to The Twilight Zone, etc.

Dolls, clowns, puppets, and especially store mannequins! OMG!

Even portrait paintings where their eyes follow you all over the room.
Yes, they all get one week a year to be human! I remember that episode.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:51 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,929,742 times
My parents hung an abstract painting in my bedroom when I was a baby. The painting hung opposite my crib. I would wake up in the middle in the night crying. At night, I saw an old, bearded man in the painting staring intensely in my direction. My parents were so perplexed by my nightly crying they took me to see a priest. Of course, I was just a baby and couldn't express what was distressing me at night. Eventually I walked up to the painting during daytime and basically thought to myself you're not going to scare me anymore. And that was the end of my nightly terror.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:12 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Never any dolls, statues, or soft toys, however what might reveal itself from under my bed or come out of the closet sure kept me on high alert!

Old 12-01-2020, 08:33 AM

378 posts, read 245,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I think "Child's Play", "Poltergeist" and other 70-80's Hollywood horror is responsible for lots of complexes and irrational fears for those of us who grew up then, especially when it comes to possessed toys.

I remember being scared that "Slimer" from Ghostbusters was gonna blast down the hall at me; also the little goblin thing from "Cat's Eye" scared the crap out of me too.

But for me the worst "monster" was the alien from "Communion". My dad bought a copy of the book; I ripped the cover off the book and threw it away, it bothered me so bad. I was sure I was gonna see it peek around the corner in my room at night if I opened my eyes too.
I used to have the "Slimer" toothpaste. Safe to say "Slimer" from Ghostbusters helped me avoid cavities.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:21 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I know this is an old thread & I'm surprised I never posted in it already.

No, I was never afraid of dolls, clowns, figurines, etc. as a child nor now. In fact, starting as a child, I used to collect porcelain dolls & clowns. Then later, porcelain & crystal figurines. My room was full of dolls & clowns, etc. I must have had 25+ in my room that I displayed on a rack.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:41 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Never any dolls, statues, or soft toys, however what might reveal itself from under my bed or come out of the closet sure kept me on high alert!
I imagined alligators or crocodiles under my bed. I think Peter Pan was to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal