U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 PM

24,682 posts, read 49,068,273 times

Advertisements

Spontaneous human combustion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you find this phenomenon credible? It seems well attested to...

I've heard theories relating to electrical impulses in the body - I'm inclined to believe it is something electrical, which isn't listed in this wiki article. I do believe auras/spirit and stuff could be electro-magnetic energy, even at a wavelength we haven't discovered yet, and could easily emit the required energy to burn up a human body. I also think what they say about most victims being obese smokers isn't that correct, as I've heard reports of it happening to young, healthy people as well.

I remember when I first read about it, actually being afraid I would burst into flames at any moment for no reason, lol.

I think part of the reason was a case of synchronicity that's related to it...

Back in high school, one lunch time I was reading about it in one of these book of 'unexplained mysteries' and remember thinking about it for the rest of the day, even being afraid it could happen to me (as irrational as that sounds). What creeped me out was, when I got home from school and turned on the TV - there was a programme on this very subject! It really gave me the heebie jeebies, and I thought maybe it was a sign that I, too, was to just burst into flames and combust into a pile of ash, lol.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 PM

16,482 posts, read 22,366,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I've heard theories relating to electrical impulses in the body - I'm inclined to believe it is something electrical, which isn't listed in this wiki article. I do believe auras/spirit and stuff could be electro-magnetic energy, even at a wavelength we haven't discovered yet, and could easily emit the required energy to burn up a human body. I also think what they say about most victims being obese smokers isn't that correct, as I've heard reports of it happening to young, healthy people as well.

I remember when I first read about it, actually being afraid I would burst into flames at any moment for no reason, lol.

Back in high school, one lunch time I was reading about it in one of these book of 'unexplained mysteries' and remember thinking about it for the rest of the day, even being afraid it could happen to me (as irrational as that sounds). What creeped me out was, when I got home from school and turned on the TV - there was a programme on this very subject! It really gave me the heebie jeebies, and I thought maybe it was a sign that I, too, was to just burst into flames and combust into a pile of ash, lol.
Funny, I had the same reaction the first time I heard about it. I thought I would suddenly burst into flames and tried to not think about it.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,723,148 times
Just a burden that the hotties of the world must bear.

Seriously, the mechanics behind SHC have always fascinated me. For a human body to be able to essentially cremate itself while causing minimal damage to the surrounding area, that's not a normal fire.

Having been a fire department EMT, i've seen my share of what we called "crispy critters" and the damage was always extensive, it always spread to the surrounding area.

I can't begin to form an opinion as to how this could happen.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Just a burden that the hotties of the world must bear.

Seriously, the mechanics behind SHC have always fascinated me. For a human body to be able to essentially cremate itself while causing minimal damage to the surrounding area, that's not a normal fire.

Having been a fire department EMT, i've seen my share of what we called "crispy critters" and the damage was always extensive, it always spread to the surrounding area.

I can't begin to form an opinion as to how this could happen.
What's creepy is reports stretch back way into history. It's not a new phenomenon, and reports seem to be verified. Me too, it's frightening because it's so incredible.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 PM

20,787 posts, read 26,071,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Spontaneous human combustion is indeed a well documented event and I happen to believe in it. I agree that it's frightening, and I heard about it in high school from the same book!

It also freaked me out, and I could not stop thinking about it either. In fact it still freaks me out.

First, to calm you a bit, your experience of reading about an event, and later on, seeing it on television, is a common occurrence for intuitive types. It's an event of synchronicity at the very least.
Another explanation is that, although the topic frightened you, you were drawn to it and interested in it, so you turned on the television at the right time, so that you could see the program.

That happens to me weekly! There are topics that I'm very interested in and not infrequently, I will suddenly for the urge to go into the family room and reach for the remote and almost robotically, flip to a particular channel and there is a show that I'm interested in, or a movie I've been wanting to see. My husband and kids have ceased to be amazed by this. It's just normal.

Getting back to the topic of S.H.C., it seems to happen to elderly, overweight individuals who abuse alcohol. There are a few cases that do not include that population, and some of those seem the most troubling, because they have happened to healthy individuals while waking down the street and in public.

I know it's real, but I'm not sure if it can be explained scientifically explained. Most scientific explanations have something to do with the person being sedentary and obese, but I saw something on television that rather impressively debunked the scientific notion.

They still fail to explain it thoroughly, though. They do not explain the intense heat, the fact that the surroundings are not burned, and most ghastly, that often their extremities and heads are untouched!

One well documented account in Great Britain occurred in public and police and firefighters witnessed it. I'm going to try to find that account. I found it particularly disturbing because there were people on hand who were credible, who were attempting to extinguish this man, and could not. Flames continued to shoot out of the man no matter what they did.

I am open to any ideas that any of you have and I think this is a great topic. It certainly is an "Unexplained Mystery."

Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM

^ Haha thanks for the calming words, sheena, I've found other things to worry about but from time to time, when I read about SHC, it does cross my mind. Regarding synchronicity, I've had many other episodes like this, far too many to remember and write down. Some even more amazing that what I described. I do believe that there is meaning in trivial everyday events, but I also do believe a lot of it really just is coincidence. But then again at a deep level there's something to the saying, 'there are no coincidences.'

Yes I think I read about that case, very scary! Also a case about a young lady here in Australia, actually, who was at a disco back in the 60s whom a large crowd witnessed burst into flames...I think it's scary because it could strike at any time, without warning, although I'm convinced there is a specific trigger that science has yet discovered.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:44 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,743,506 times
I had a weird thing happen to me once when I was a senior in high school. My upper right arm started burning something fierce and a redness appeared on it just like a sunburn. It stayed with me for hours, becoming more and more uncomfortable. The next day I had blisters on it. I wasn't out in the sun and I've never had an explanation for it. It healed itself just like a sunburn would - with the skin peeling off after a few days. Have never known what caused this. Maybe I was about to burst into flame????

Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 PM

371 posts, read 890,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I had a weird thing happen to me once when I was a senior in high school. My upper right arm started burning something fierce and a redness appeared on it just like a sunburn. It stayed with me for hours, becoming more and more uncomfortable. The next day I had blisters on it. I wasn't out in the sun and I've never had an explanation for it. It healed itself just like a sunburn would - with the skin peeling off after a few days. Have never known what caused this. Maybe I was about to burst into flame????
Maybe you accidentally touched the likes of hogweed? it's a poisonous plant with chemicals in it that make your skin a few thousand times more susceptible for UV radiation after it enters your skin, after playing around with that stuff you can get a sunburn on a cloudy winter's day in Iceland...

Old 05-08-2012, 02:39 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,486,505 times
I don't know. If it does actually happen, it's a very rare thing. I do think that this explanation from the Wiki article the OP linked makes sense though:

The "wick effect" hypothesis suggests that a small external flame source, such as a burning cigarette, chars the clothing of the victim at a location, splitting the skin and releasing subcutaneous fat, which is in turn absorbed into the burned clothing, acting as a wick. This combustion can continue for as long as the fuel is available. This hypothesis has been successfully tested with animal tissue (pig) and is consistent with evidence recovered from cases of human combustion. The human body typically has enough stored energy in fat and other chemical stores to fully combust the body; even lean people have several pounds of fat in their tissues. This fat, once heated by the burning clothing, wicks into the clothing much as candle wax (which was originally made of animal fat) wicks into a lit candle wick to provide the fuel needed to keep the wick burning.

Here's a good article about it on "How Stuff Works"

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sci...omena/shc1.htm

Last edited by Fullback32; 05-08-2012 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 05:47 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,731,482 times
This is something that is just really strange.
I heard that there is some odd chemical reaction within the body and it burns from the inside out.
I buy that theory more so that alcohol or body fat and a cigarette.
Fat does not burn very hot, it flares up, sure. So I can't see the wick theory, it would take to long, stink, and cause the fire to spread...I'm no pyro-expert, just like to play with it.
Also, I can't throw a bone into a campfire and have it turn to dust, doubt human fat could could burn hotter than the coals in the middle of a campfire.

This is one of the strangest mysteries in my book...so weird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal