Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which would freak you out more?
Casper 19 19.39%
ET 79 80.61%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
The scariest of all would be the ghost of an alien!
John Carpenter did that one. Got such bad reviews I never bothered watching it.

Ghosts of Mars (2001) - IMDb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 02:18 AM

473 posts, read 501,763 times
Alien is WAY scarier!

Lived in old house that had thumping sound in kitchen and played a loud song from attic. I can deal with this. Never saw a ghost. (Learned previous occupant had been run out by the song playing. I only heard it couple times in 12 years and not why I sold. Bad policing and too many expensive problems from wrong people was why I sold...Too bad. Was really lovely 1950s place we did a ton of work to fix up. WAY LOW utility bills too.)

Friend's victorian has blender running noise even when it is put up. Only when all are eating.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:11 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Which would seem scarier? I'd actually say the ghost, since it's supernatural, while the alien is probably at least flesh and blood.
I do not see either of them as inherently scary so it is hard to answer.

I guess since there is NO arguments, evidence, data or reasoning on offer to suggest ghosts exist.... it would be scarier to see one of those because it likely means that I am hallucinating and what I am looking at is indicative and symptomatic of something wrong with me..... probably a brain tumor or the failure of another organ or a viral disease.

That said, were ghosts to exist we could assume.... since they were originally human..... that they have mostly human concerns. Aliens, being alien, would not. So purely in terms of fear of the unknown.... aliens would be scarier. Because their intent and motivation and goals would be more divergent from our own.

There is also the issue of how we treat animal forms we see as "lower" than us. The concern many have with aliens is that their would intellectually be the equivalent to us as we are with ants. Our concerns and goals are so divergent from ants that we do not consider them at all, and do not think twice about wiping them out, when we pursue our goals. If we were to lay down a road, and find an ant hill in the way, we would think nothing of paving over them.... destroying their life and home.

How certain could we be that aliens would look at us any differently that we do ants?

Old 09-29-2016, 06:33 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
An alien. Aliens can carry disease.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
an alien you can always give them a heart punch, fists go right thru ghosts and have no effect

Old 09-29-2016, 09:35 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
That's a hard one. I think both would scare the bejeezus out of me. Especially if the encounter was the middle of the night and I awoke to them standing next to my bed watching me sleep.. Creepers

Old 09-29-2016, 09:59 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
an alien you can always give them a heart punch, fists go right thru ghosts and have no effect
That would work both ways.....

Old 09-29-2016, 04:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Ghost. I am 100% atheist, and believe in no god, nor afterlife, no anything supernatural at all for that matter. To see one, a 100% bona fide ghost that I could not explain would be startling to me.

An alien wouldn't scare me. It would be extremely moving, perhaps. I think the likelihood that there are other intelligent life forms out there is possible. However, I think the distances involved in space will keep us from making physical contact for many, many, many eons, if ever.. To see one in person would be amazing as I'd instantly wonder how they conquered the entire vast space-time issue.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:29 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Another way to look at it is to wonder what confirmation of the existence of either of these things will do to us as a species.

IF we confirmed the as yet entirely unsubstantiated existence of ghosts, what would this do to us? No longer would we have armies of theists merely pretending they think there is an after life. We genuinely will KNOW there is one. What effects would this have? What will happen to our inherent view of the value of this life, if we realize it is only a stepping stone to the next? I find people can barely apply themselves to their job, when they know they have another job lined up which they will be moving themselves to in a few weeks.

If confirmed the existence of aliens however what would this do? Star Trek paints a rosey pictures that it would unify humanity in a way nothing else ever has. And I find that both plausible and unlikely at the same time, which feel strangely contradictory in my mind. What I fear is that we will fall over ourselves in complete stupidity at the revelation. Some of us will instantly want to go to war with them, with a first strike mentality, in some possibly well meant exercise of self preservation of our species. Others will want to exploit and trade with them. Still others will want to OWN one somehow as if another sentient being should be a slave or a pet. Worryingly some small number of our species will want to have sex with them, eat them, or both. And another section of us will worship them or invite them to be the new governing overlords of our species. Still other will just go into some mad blind panic. And even our stock markets would likely react in extreme and unprecedented ways that it likely is not built to handle.

So both would be worrying but I think in terms of just pure stupidity, embarrassment, self implosion, and horror I think meeting an alien species is the one that could go most wrong for us in the world and as a species. It is no wonder Star Trek invented the philosophical moral notion of the "Prime Directive" where Humanity agreed never to reveal it's existence to any species below a certain level of technological, moral and social development.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
I'd say a ghost, at least an alien is likely to be in our dimension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal