Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2021, 01:52 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times

Advertisements

Scientists have discovered fish with deep black skin which absorbs light at the bottom of the ocean. The effect is to produce a bad photograph or a 'blobby' photo as we have of Bigfoot. (see the bolded section below)

Source

Quote:
When researchers first saw the deep-sea species, it wasn't immediately obvious that their skin was ultra-black. Then, marine biologist Karen Osborn, a co-author on the new paper, noticed something strange about the photos she took of the fish.

"I had tried to take pictures of deep-sea fish before and got nothing but these really horrible pictures, where you can't see any detail," Osborn told Wired. "How is it that I can shine two strobe lights at them and all that light just disappears?"

After examining samples of fish skin under the microscope, the researchers discovered that the fish skin contains a layer of organelles called melanosomes, which contain melanin, the same pigment that gives color to human skin and hair. This layer of melanosomes absorbs most of the light that hits them.
Ultra-black fish

"But what isn't absorbed side-scatters into the layer, and it's absorbed by the neighboring pigments that are all packed right up close to it," Osborn told Wired. "And so what they've done is create this super-efficient, very-little-material system where they can basically build a light trap with just the pigment particles and nothing else."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 07:06 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,682,143 times
IF that was/is true it would mean the P & G Bigfoot film of Bob walking in the suit is 100% fake because it is not a blob. It would make all of the Todd Standing clear pictures of himself in makeup 100% fake. It would also make the Bob Freeman video of the guy in a suit fake.

On the bright side all the scammers that have been making their stuff blurry on purpose actually might have got at least part of their hoax correct.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:58 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
IF that was/is true it would mean the P & G Bigfoot film of Bob walking in the suit is 100% fake because it is not a blob. It would make all of the Todd Standing clear pictures of himself in makeup 100% fake. It would also make the Bob Freeman video of the guy in a suit fake.

On the bright side all the scammers that have been making their stuff blurry on purpose actually might have got at least part of their hoax correct.
Todd Standing is a hoaxer, he was the guy that claimed a black dogman was stalking him and the picture he posted, which he said was the head of the dogman, turned out to be an old wooden sign that was overgrown with weeds and brush.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:07 PM

Well, it could be partially true - in that in dark, dingy environments, the hair goes some way to absorbing the light. In daylight maybe it does not work so well.

If you brought one of those fish up to the surface, it might be able to be photographed OK. I am only drawing a parallel to what Nature does in other areas and suggesting we might have something similar going on. In Nature things are used again and again.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:48 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Name one other primate that has this ability.

No. Let's be magnanimous. Name one other mammal.

Old 03-09-2021, 04:22 AM

We already know from Prof Meldrum that the hair is different to normal mammal hair, so you tell me why we cannot seem to get a decent picture of the creature. Do you have a better explanation? No I bet you dont.

I was only offering a possible alternative explanation as to why we get blobby images. I did not prompt the scientists to say she got blobby images of this fish. She made the comment and I matched it up to this other circumstance where we get blobby images.

It is perfectly possible that this is the reason and it is perfectly possible that Bigfoot is the only one we have found on land which has these same characteristics. There will always be a first and maybe this fish is the first one we have found which has some kind of skin which absorbs light, so why not hair which does the same?

Old 03-09-2021, 06:03 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
We already know from Prof Meldrum that the hair is different to normal mammal hair, so you tell me why we cannot seem to get a decent picture of the creature. Do you have a better explanation? No I bet you dont.
The same reason we can't get a decent picture of a unicorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal