Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 02:18 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times

Advertisements

Was reading as few interesting articles about the little talked about "Numbers stations." These are found in various parts of the world and transmit noise, what appears to be codes and even nonsense. One that creeped me out was this one called "The backwards music station" I cant link audio for some reason but man it was weird. Sometimes broken voices can be heard as well. it's ok though, As I was not planning on sleeping tonight anyway.

Mystery Signals

Signals are transmitted from various places constantly, And some are strange indeed. Anyone else heard of the number station phenomena and related weirdness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 08:52 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
ET phone home

Psychology students doing an experiment in group paranoia?

A bunch of bored people creating a mystery to amuse themselves?

I just don't know

Old 05-29-2012, 02:08 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
A number of years ago when I was much younger I would listen to shortwave as a hobby. I’ve heard transmissions similar to this that were used industries throughout the world to communicate. In those days were was no internet or data at the time. I was told that the signals were “utility” transmissions to control things at a receiving station located elsewhere in the world. The signal would be decoded and operate perhaps valves on oil rigs or pipelines as an example. Simply if the signal transmitted stopped then the control valve would close. A long distance no wire remote control device of older technology back then.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Back in the cold war they used to use number stations to transmit coded orders across short wave radio to imbedded spies in the Soviet block contries. Other radio people do it just for fun, kinda like geocaching but with codes.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:29 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Back in the cold war they used to use number stations to transmit coded orders across short wave radio to imbedded spies in the Soviet block contries. Other radio people do it just for fun, kinda like geocaching but with codes.
That is correct, a certain number series at a certain time would send the "Spies" in Cuba or Soviet Union or wherever a preset instruction
They are also said to be test/holding patterns for broadcasting and recieving equipment.
Guess that is better than than playing Wayne Newton songs.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Was reading as few interesting articles about the little talked about "Numbers stations." These are found in various parts of the world and transmit noise, what appears to be codes and even nonsense. One that creeped me out was this one called "The backwards music station" I cant link audio for some reason but man it was weird. Sometimes broken voices can be heard as well. it's ok though, As I was not planning on sleeping tonight anyway.

Mystery Signals

Signals are transmitted from various places constantly, And some are strange indeed. Anyone else heard of the number station phenomena and related weirdness?
This is just too cool of a story and yeap it sounded kinda creepy as i'm thinking a 1920's ghost radio .

Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Music broadcasts for David Icke's space lizards, perhaps?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:

Mystery Signals

How do the voices sound? Does anything about them sound old fashioned or other worldly?

Are you able to pick up anything that they say?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:

Mystery Signals

My question, who would be the listners of the "Backwords music station"? Sounds like subliminal messages, similar to the embedded subliminal messages in the music played while shopping.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Yeah, back in the 1970s we had a shortwave and you could pick up some stations that just had some beeps going in a pattern. Sort of like R 2 D 2 but maybe a little musical.
We had an old black and white portable TV that could pick up airplane signals at the higher channel settings. We'd also pick up telephone calls. It was usually to an answering service although we could get some private calls over cordless phones. One time we got really good reception but it was two ladies having the most inane conversation imaginable. And we could only hear one side of it. Blah blah blah my mother blah blah her friend blah blah her boyfriends sister.
I owned a police scanner but now it doesn't seem to work at all. Did they go digital?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal